Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Thor 25.5 A thoughts

i'd like to know anyone's thoughts about the 2017 25.5 A Axis. One dealer is offering the unit at really low prices. what's the consensus view on this model. thanks.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:03 AM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
You are still looking ? ! good for you ! I think there are a couple of members on the forum which have that model. It has its advantage...of a larger bathroom...I guess it depends on whether or not a person wants the bathroom in the back of the motorhome. If that is not an issue..it looks like a nice model.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 AM   #3

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
You are still looking ? ! good for you ! I think there are a couple of members on the forum which have that model. It has its advantage...of a larger bathroom...I guess it depends on whether or not a person wants the bathroom in the back of the motorhome. If that is not an issue..it looks like a nice model.
yeah, i'm still looking. Even caught a load of crap from one guy for taking my time. Not everyone's got a big pension you know. As to the 25.5, the dealer is advertising it for $59K and change. I thought maybe something was wrong with it. Being single i wouldn't care if the beds were in between the living room and the bath room. if the coach had two people i could see where it might be a problem . thanks.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 AM   #4

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Oh, i noticed you have the new 6 speed transmission. Was wondering about that too. From what i read, it's a huge move forward in transmissions with the ability to have more control with a pause button in each gear allowing you to hold a gear for as long as you want. Coming off Vail Pass, that would come in handy. How would you describe the benefits of it. thanks.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:05 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
You MUST download and read Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis Manual Thor Forums - View Single Post - Link to Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis Manual

It contains everything that you won't get from Thor and a lot more. But for the new buyer, it's #1 feature is the Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist. Print it out and study it before going back to the dealer. There is so much to understand, so many things the dealer doesn't discuss (or doesn't know) or demonstrate. Give yourself as much time as the dealer will allow you, a day would be great. Check out everything and have them show you how it works. Have them demonstrate the swivel connection for the holding tanks and how to winterize. Bring a paper pad to make 2 lists (one for you and one for them) of all the issues you discover. This will be your one chance to get them to "rush" the work. The stuff you discover after delivery (now that they've got your money) is much less urgent to them (don't get me started!). Search the forum for "P.D.I" and Posts for other user's comments and tips. If you're prepared you're way ahead of most new buyers.

As to the you're floor plan, we bought the 25.4 and like the double bed in the back, but as a solo you'll be able to utilize the other bed space with additional drawers. But we really like the way the Axis/Vegas concept works. Yes, there will be a lot you'll want to modify or add on and you've come to the right place. The collective wisdom here is tremendous.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:08 AM   #6

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
You MUST download and read Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis Manual Thor Forums - View Single Post - Link to Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis Manual

It contains everything that you won't get from Thor and a lot more. But for the new buyer, it's #1 feature is the Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist. Print it out and study it before going back to the dealer. There is so much to understand, so many things the dealer doesn't discuss (or doesn't know) or demonstrate. Give yourself as much time as the dealer will allow you, a day would be great. Check out everything and have them show you how it works. Have them demonstrate the swivel connection for the holding tanks and how to winterize. Bring a paper pad to make 2 lists (one for you and one for them) of all the issues you discover. This will be your one chance to get them to "rush" the work. The stuff you discover after delivery (now that they've got your money) is much less urgent to them (don't get me started!). Search the forum for "P.D.I" and Posts for other user's comments and tips. If you're prepared you're way ahead of most new buyers.

As to the you're floor plan, we bought the 25.4 and like the double bed in the back, but as a solo you'll be able to utilize the other bed space with additional drawers. But we really like the way the Axis/Vegas concept works. Yes, there will be a lot you'll want to modify or add on and you've come to the right place. The collective wisdom here is tremendous.

Good luck!
?? what's this?
Old 11-02-2017, 03:11 AM   #7

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post

Good luck!
Ok, sorry, I get it, you were giving me the reasons you bought your 25.4 in response to my question if people had comments about the 25.5A. That's fair. Cool. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:24 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Here's a follow up thread for you, "List of All I'll Need After Vegas/Axis Purchase and Approx Cost" http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...cost-4442.html
Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
We have a 2017 Axis 25.5. We bought it for the versatility in the bedding, being able to switch from twin beds to king size and the larger bathroom and larger shower in the rear of the coach. We are in our 70's and like the twin bed set up (actually not quite twins in size as they are only 32" wide) but our adult kids can use it and set it up as a king bed if they wish. The biggest difference with the 25.5 is there is less outside storage and more inside storage. 25.5's have about half the outside storage of other Axis/Vegas models. This wasn't a problem for us but could be if you intend to haul a lot of large bulky gear like screen rooms, dining tents, etc. I also like the fact that the 25.5's are built on the E450 chassis, which is stronger and heavier duty than the E350's and the 6 speed transmission can help with your gas mileage. I do wish Ford would add the manual transmission shifting mode to the E450, that my F150 pickup has on it's 6 speed tranny, as it gives you a lot more control, especially in mountain driving, using the toggle switch on the shift leaver to easily shift up or down, as needed.
The bottom line is, get what fits your needs and desires and enjoy it! Good luck in your choice.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Soooo... What do you think?
Will you be 'pulling the trigger" soon?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Oh, i noticed you have the new 6 speed transmission. Was wondering about that too. From what i read, it's a huge move forward in transmissions with the ability to have more control with a pause button in each gear allowing you to hold a gear for as long as you want. Coming off Vail Pass, that would come in handy. How would you describe the benefits of it. thanks.
Ron likes the E450/ 6 speed trans ... he is a fan of the Triton motor having had 2 previous motorhomes with the E350 .
We have around 15k miles on the Axis now, and Ron sez the trans has broken in well and is very intuitive. One thing he had to learn is to let it do what it wants to do ... Ron has a close friend who has done trans. work all his life..in regards to the passes in CO (or anywhere) he sez to let the trans and motor do the work and save the brakes.
We visit CO a lot...Passes like Wolf Creek, Monarch etc are easy with the 6 speed...even the decline into Denver on I70 (which we avoid whenever possible)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
yeah, i'm still looking. Even caught a load of crap from one guy for taking my time. Not everyone's got a big pension you know. As to the 25.5, the dealer is advertising it for $59K and change. I thought maybe something was wrong with it. Being single i wouldn't care if the beds were in between the living room and the bath room. if the coach had two people i could see where it might be a problem . thanks.
Well, you know what to look for and are well informed, being a longtime member of the Forum. You know how to inspect a unit to make sure you are getting one with little to no problems. To be honest, we might have considered the 25.5 if it had been available in 2016, but we really like the length of the 24.1 and have learned to deal with the small shower.
Hope you find what you like at a good price !
Jeep Wrangler TJ