Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2125
Thor Ace shower floor

Anyone notice the area around the shower drain is very spongy when weight is placed in this area .
Wondering if this is normal

Old 06-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Its how mine is, I try not to step there. Poor support and installation.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
My Winnebago and Fleetwood motorhomes felt the same way. Actually the Winnebago felt like it was clearly flexing as you moved around. However, they never broke. I just didn't "jump into the shower"!

The shower pan is a flimsy piece of plastic. If you like, you can shim some boards under the shower pan, if you have an access panel.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #4

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
My Winnebago and Fleetwood motorhomes felt the same way. Actually the Winnebago felt like it was clearly flexing as you moved around. However, they never broke. I just didn't "jump into the shower"!

The shower pan is a flimsy piece of plastic. If you like, you can shim some boards under the shower pan, if you have an access panel.
Negative ghost rider the access panel does not exist!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Negative ghost rider the access panel does not exist!
On my Challenger there is an access panel on the ceiling of the storage compartment below the shower. This allows access to the drain connections etc...

You may want to see if you have something similar in your coach. They had to have someway to connect the drain after the shower was put in place.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #6

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
On my Challenger there is an access panel on the ceiling of the storage compartment below the shower. This allows access to the drain connections etc...

You may want to see if you have something similar in your coach. They had to have someway to connect the drain after the shower was put in place.
I have looked extensively. The only way was the drain was connected before the vanity was put in. All the pipes are hidden behind the vanity and run to the forward wall then make a 90 towards the driver side of coach behind a cornice then down through floor. We have a drawer in the bottom of the shower and even it is closed off with plywood. I have never seen this done in an rv.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #7

THOR #1620
Ok, so I had to cut the front out of vanity for access to shower and it is pretty limited. There is no way in although if you had to get tore ain you could cut through floor if you measure carefully. They already cut throug the top part of floor to allow the trap to fit down in so you would only have to cut through the bottom board. This would be a little left of rear center of tire.
I am posting a pic of front of vanity and to the left and right underneath vanity

Ok, in this second picture you can see that a piece of 3/4" plywood on edge is what is supporting the drain end of shower pan. The drawer I spoke of is framed in also with 3/4" plywood.

Last picture looks forward under vanity.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
I noticed the same spongy feel around the shower drain the first day I had my new (never been used) 2017 Thor Ace at home. I thought someone had run water through the drain and it had leaked onto the wood below. I have not, however, noticed a musty smell. When you pulled the vanity out, were the boards underneath damp, or is it just a weak design?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
While exploring our new Challenger I opened access panel at front of shower base. Construction something like this - sheet of plywood raised off floor by numerous spacers/legs. On top of plywood was a custom cut sheet of foam that support the shower floor. Walk around and foam would give ie. felt spongy. BUT a large piece of foam sheet around drain broke off before installation - totally missing. So any foot traffic around drain had no support and resulted in excessive flex. I fixed it by inserting some foam sheet of the same thickness to fill the void and all is good. Can't begin to tell you what to do without access panel other than - make one. I guess that totally depends on shower layout. Until I figured out the above, we just tried not to step in the drain area.