Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #14954
Fredc

Thanks Mr Sunshine, I found the problem it was a short at the hdmi plug caused somehow by the former owner maybe when the satellite dish was installed but the hdmi cord at the end where the plug is didn't have any sign of being burnt..so it must have been replaced and was not plugged into the number 1hdmi underneath the tv,but the tv at that port showed sign's of a burn mark and the other two hdmi plugs didn't work also .thanks for your reply.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #162

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #11108
2016 Vegas 25.2 with about 26,000 kilometers (16,000 m). I pulled the steering damper off today to check it. It has a strange operation to it. At mid-point (as would be driving straight down the road it sometimes has reasonable resistance in both directions as expected. However if I work it back and forth a small amount it will sometimes develop considerable lost resistance in one direction. At other times it will lose resistance for considerable travel in both directions. At other times it will have resistance in one direction and feel like it is gas pressurized in the other in that it will push back if I let go. The push back will disappear in a 10-15 seconds if I hold it over. It only does this in compression and never when being extended.

I know the Ford damper is a safety device and only meant to restrain the steering in case of a tire blow out or hitting a large pot hole. Still I can't see how this one would work as intended and could even be upsetting vehicle stability. I have done a fair number of suspension upgrades and the units handles great in wind, trucks, and just driving but this damper can't be helping. Has anyone else had a damper fail this early? Or is this just the way they come from the factory? In any case I have a nice new Bilstein that will be going on in place of the factory unit.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #163

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Very strange....but 26000 miles is a lot (IMO). Keep in mind the factory shocks and steering dampner are provided to Ford by the vendor that bidded the LOWEST.

Needlest to say they are not of the best quality.

I would replace with either a name brand that you like or step up to something like the Saftey Plus steering dampner.

Im thinking of replacing my shocks later this year or perhaps next year and I only have around 5500 on my rig right now. But I feel that a quality aftermarket brand shock will improve my ride and possibly the saftey of my RV so IMO its worth it... PLus I like to tinker with my RV. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #164

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Also the factory steering dampner is just that - Dampner. It takes some of the jolts out of the steering system before it meets your steering wheel (and your hands). It does nothing for blowout.

If you want blowout control you will need something like the Saftey Plus or Roadmaster brand. They provide up to 500# of force in either direction (but zero going in straight line).

Once you install it you will have to add a little more turning force on the steering wheel in parking lots to make it turn tight but when you let go it will want to straighten your wheels out quickly. On the road its just firm like a sports car steering. I absolutely love mine.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #165

THOR #11108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Also the factory steering dampner is just that - Dampner. It takes some of the jolts out of the steering system before it meets your steering wheel (and your hands). It does nothing for blowout.

If you want blowout control you will need something like the Saftey Plus or Roadmaster brand. They provide up to 500# of force in either direction (but zero going in straight line).

Once you install it you will have to add a little more turning force on the steering wheel in parking lots to make it turn tight but when you let go it will want to straighten your wheels out quickly. On the road its just firm like a sports car steering. I absolutely love mine.
Not sure about the factory steering damper. As per Ford it is strictly for safety in the case of a tire failure on a heavy vehicle. I know people install them to control wheel shake on rigs with big tires and loads but Ford says that is not what this particular damper was designed for. In my case I do not want a spring loaded damper since I have increased wheel return and stability with increased negative caster during the wheel alignment. I think most of us know this is a common problem with the stability of rv's on the E450. The old E450 was aligned at the factory to -2 degrees of caster although Ford specified you would increase that to as much as -8 degrees for vehicles that require greater stability (sensitivity to wind and trucks). My Vegas came with -4.2 degree of caster and I had that increased to -5.3. That is the main reason so many of the old unit handle so bad (that and short wheel bases)

As for the wear issue, this unit has only 16,000 miles on it (26,000 kilometers) and the damper does not get a lot of wear since it moves very little, unlike suspension shocks that are working all the time. I guess the damper just could have been defective or failed. The suspension shocks on my unit would be fine for a lighter box van but are not ideal for a heavy rv. I installed Bilstein heavy duty RV shocks on my old class C and loved them. When I bought the Vegas I still had the class C for a couple of months so it was interesting to drive both "side by side". The Bilstein's on the class C were 15 years old and had 40,000 miles on them but still were clearly better than the brand new Ford shocks on the Vegas. Needless to say I have already bought Bilstein shocks for the Vegas and will install one warm summer day.

As for the steering damper, I have already replaced that with a Bilstein. No lost motion or transition in the Bilstein although it is a lot stiffer.

A
Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #166
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travbob View Post
Not sure about the factory steering damper. As per Ford it is strictly for safety in the case of a tire failure on a heavy vehicle

As for the steering damper, I have already replaced that with a Bilstein. No lost motion or transition in the Bilstein although it is a lot stiffer.

A

Good additional information regarding the Bilstein shocks. As this thread has addressed the front end issue a number of times....this information is old and you may be aware of the fact that the Ford factory installed bump stops are poor. Ron installed Sumo's to replace the bump stops front and rear with very good results.

Happy Camping from Ron and Kay !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #167

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
I have an Axis 24.1 2016 for sale for $55,000 if anyone is looking. Mint co ditko, 33,000 miles.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #168

THOR #11108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Good additional information regarding the Bilstein shocks. As this thread has addressed the front end issue a number of times....this information is old and you may be aware of the fact that the Ford factory installed bump stops are poor. Ron installed Sumo's to replace the bump stops front and rear with very good results.

Happy Camping from Ron and Kay !
Thanks, good information about the front bump stops. I notice there is not a lot of travel in the front suspension so would not be surprised if it hits the bump stops once in awhile. I am sure the Sumo springs would be a good addition and very simple. Did you notice any difference in the ride, softer/harder?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #169
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travbob View Post
Thanks, good information about the front bump stops. I notice there is not a lot of travel in the front suspension so would not be surprised if it hits the bump stops once in awhile. I am sure the Sumo springs would be a good addition and very simple. Did you notice any difference in the ride, softer/harder?
I posed your question to Ron...he sez with the bump stops..firmer...we are in Kansas .. anytime we go west we fight the southwest wind pushing...the Sumos, Ron sez, controls the bumps and diving and makes it much easier to control against the side winds.
We are, currently, in FL .. when we left home last Sunday, Ron fought 40 mph side winds/gusts much of the day in KS.
You know how that 'big box' can be pushed around !!

Life is GOOD !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #170

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
The OEM damper on my 2016 24.1 required some exercising before having effect. Wife would say that it did not seem to wander on trip back like it did on way to track. I replaced with roadmaster Refex and never looked back. That is only change in suspension we have made after adjusting tire pressure to weight. Has no issue cruising 80 MPH without wandering, just lot of wind noise at that speed.

We are thinking to add sway bars but feel no urgent need.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #171

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I just installed the Bilstein Steering stabilizer/damper to replace a barely used Ford OEM damper. After spending $89 on Amazon & installing myself, I’m very happy with the results.

With the money saved (vs a $500+ “gold plated” steer stabilizer) I can buy that solar system i’ve been longing for.
Ready to pull the trigger on...
- 2 Renogy 100 watt solid monocrystalline panels
- 2 sets of Renogy Drill-Free mounts
- Sikaflex adhesive
- and a 30 amp controller
All for under $300

Meanwhile, I’m enjoying the ride with front & rear Helwig Anti-Sway Bars and front & rear Sumo’s.

We will stay on the left coast this summer and support $4/gallon gas prices
At 10 mpg, that’s $.40/mile
Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #172

Model: 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #12332
Hi there, how would we determine the proper caster settings for our 24.1? My 2 front tires are wearing on the inside and will be replacing them this summer, at that time will have it re aligned and caster set. We have a 2015 with the E350 chassis. Thanks for any experience.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #173

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkers View Post
Hi there, how would we determine the proper caster settings for our 24.1? My 2 front tires are wearing on the inside and will be replacing them this summer, at that time will have it re aligned and caster set. We have a 2015 with the E350 chassis. Thanks for any experience.
Here’s an illustration that may help...
Looks like you have negative camber/toe out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85341360-C4CF-45FC-9D84-417341E5A8F0.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	16973   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C96B422-61A8-4151-972D-FBEA53BEDD86.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	16975  

Old 04-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #174

THOR #11108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkers View Post
Great illustrations.
The caster should around -5.1 degrees on the driver's side and -5.3 degrees on the passenger. You need a little more on the passenger side to compensate for the crown of the road or it will tend to drift to the right. This is the range that Forest River now suggests for the Ford E350/450 and when I asked the technician that aligned my unit for these numbers he said that was about what he normally used. You will need adjustable bushings (I bought Moog 80109 bushings) since the factory bushings are not adjustable. Or you can use shims to adjust the caster. At the same time I would have them check the ride height in case the springs have sagged. The suspension on the front of the E series is independent but still pretty crude so when the suspension is compressed (sags) it develops negative camber and this wears out the inside of the tire(s). The toe-in is stock Ford which is 1/16" to 1/8". By the way the caster settings are higher than what Ford sets at the factory but they say you can increase caster up to -8.0 so these numbers are well within Ford's service recommendations.

As above not enough caster and a toe-out setting make the unit very unstable and tend to wander in wind and from passing trucks. I do not understand why Ford does not put the proper caster in at the factory since they offer a motorhome package so they know there is a motorhome going on the chassis. Although in Ford's defense my 2016 came with 4.2 degrees of caster and did handle quite well but going to 5.3 made it even a little better in crosswinds.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #175

THOR #11108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
The OEM damper on my 2016 24.1 required some exercising before having effect. Wife would say that it did not seem to wander on trip back like it did on way to track. I replaced with roadmaster Refex and never looked back. That is only change in suspension we have made after adjusting tire pressure to weight. Has no issue cruising 80 MPH without wandering, just lot of wind noise at that speed.

We are thinking to add sway bars but feel no urgent need.
That's sounds almost exactly what my damper felt like. It seems like the factory unit is not great. Would explain why a number have been told by mechanics to replace it, even before they checked the original. Anyway, I know I can trust the Bilstein to be if/when needed.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:11 AM   #176

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I went with the roadmaster unit because I liked the spring loaded return to center feature. Wife drives and tows with it and s not as strong as me. If I remember correctly, the unit was less than 1/2 cost of safety plus and less complicated. I installed myself by pulling close to swale. Got lucky and initial setup was fine.

I have never had an alignment done on it but I am 2nd owner. First owner drove it less than 400 miles. We at at 24,000 miles and both fronts are wearing fine. No cupping or biased wear. I did notice handling (on center feel) improved when initial crown wore off tires. I remember the Ford twin "I" beam alignment nightmares from 70's and early 80's.

We are very happy with overall performance of the unit. This is my first Ford after all GM over the years. It tows my 1992 Camaro drag car all over the South East without issue. I can honestly say Thor has not disappointed us in the least.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #177

THOR #6382
I would recommend SAFE-T-PLUS for any of those ACE types ( 24, 25 Vegas, we have a 27.1) the SAFE-T-PLUS makes it unbelievably easier to drive. Check it out. Best, Jim
Old 10-20-2019, 01:55 AM   #178

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #17050
Safety plus

Does the year of the rv make a difference in needing this?
Old 10-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #179

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Does the year of the rv make a difference in needing this?
No. They never made it an option.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #180

State: Georgia
THOR #3451
Bear

The back up camera and turn signal camera on my 2016 Axis stopped working. i have checked all the fuses and can't find any loose wires. The Axcera (sp?) radio still works in every other function.
Any thoughts?