Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
No random screws in ours either and we're approaching 1 year of ownership.

Of course, another issue popped up: When putting our Axis away after our long trip I had opened the 'hood' (engine cover) to switch off the battery and one of the four brackets that hold the 'hood' on breaks:

Been debating: Since I'm going to take it in to the dealer for the step recall should I just let them fix it, or do it myself? (since you can already see that I put extra bolts in there to fix other issues with that mechanism.) Leaning towards fixing it myself (and putting stainless bolts in on either side).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:50 AM   #22

Model: 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #1358
Thanks. Picked up a swivel with an extender and a 15/16" head. easy access now!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:52 AM   #23

THOR #1358
Got my 15/16" head with an extender and now have easy access. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
I contacted Customer Care to obtain a manual for my Axis 24.1 and was told that one doesn't exist. They the dealer should have given me a "generic" one for most RVs, which they did.

I have learned so much from the other Axis owners, I was wondering if we all couldn't consolidate all our knowledge and write a "Axis Users Manaul" for new owners?? And maybe send to Thor to show them what they could offer other?

Anyone else in helping with this?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #25

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
THOR #1147
Ralph,

Happy to help. I imagine we've already got most of done if we collect all the data here and from iRV2.com.

Randy
Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #26

THOR #1327
Randy,

Any idea how we can collect these many "words of wisdom"? I am happy to be the consolidator but not sure how to approach this.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If you use google docs the document can be shared among many users all able to edit it (and its free).

All editors would have to have a gmail account.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #28

THOR #1327
Jamie,

Oh, Google docs would be best. However, how do I go about "collecting" the information from several conversations over the past year? I am not familiar with these forums.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I think I'd just find all the discussions, highlight them, copy and paste them into the doc. You can right click on the images and select "save image as..."

It would get quite tedious.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Jamie, Randy and others would be more knowledgeable than me to prepare the information but I would be happy to edit and to arrange. I have been RV'ing for just a short period of time and my knowledge is very limited.

The process would start with preparation of a table of contents and each section could be expanded, completed and put together as a book or on a CD/DVD or posting on Google Docs as just mentioned. A DVD later would be great as it could contain videos. But that could come after the guide is written.

Who wants to prepare a table of contents? We could use the table as listed in the current multi unit book.

After a table of contents is arranged contributors could select a chapter and deeply research it. One person would not have to write the entire book.

Larry, Randy, Jamie, evergreen49 and others, what do you think?

Phil
Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #31

THOR #1358
I'd be happy to help edit the content. I could also write a chapter titled 'Things For New Owner to Beware Of'.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #32

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Jamie, Randy and others would be more knowledgeable than me to prepare the information but I would be happy to edit and to arrange. I have been RV'ing for just a short period of time and my knowledge is very limited.

The process would start with preparation of a table of contents and each section could be expanded, completed and put together as a book or on a CD/DVD or posting on Google Docs as just mentioned. A DVD later would be great as it could contain videos. But that could come after the guide is written.

Who wants to prepare a table of contents? We could use the table as listed in the current multi unit book.

After a table of contents is arranged contributors could select a chapter and deeply research it. One person would not have to write the entire book.

Larry, Randy, Jamie, evergreen49 and others, what do you think?

Phil
Be glad to assist any way I can but must say that I am new to the motorhome experience (last July) and expertise is quite limited as I rely on this forum and IRV2 for most of my guidance.

Larry

Oh, and FW28Z's on line videos are most helpful.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #33

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
THOR #1147
Google Docs is a great idea. As for how to start - I'd take the generic manual Thor publishes and create that as an outline in GD. Then we can start a process of grabbing good information where we can and inserting into the outline. From there we can edit/format and and add new stuff where we need to.

Randy
Old 01-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #34

THOR #1358
Mygasbuddy

We used this app on our trip from Victoria to Phoenix. It usually saved us about $20 a fill. Easy to use and free. If you're tired of seeing cheap gas after a fill up, get this one!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:47 AM   #35

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Stick with the nylon water heater drain plug. Think it's hard to remove now, wait until your metal plug rusts into the drain opening. Camco makes a kit with a two headed wrench and a couple spare nylon drain plugs.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:55 AM   #36

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Your antenna amp should have a light with it. When you are using the antenna, the amp should be on (light illuminated), when you are on cable the amp should be switched off (light out). Be sure to have the amp switch off when storing the coach; the light will drain the house batteries.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:14 AM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Edvic,

The water heater is by Atwood. The obstructions, such as they are, come with the WH. There really isn't anything Thor can do about them.

The nylon plug should be pretty easy to install/remove as long as you have a 15/16ths socket and a 6" (or longer) extension for a standard socket-wrench driver. Do be sure the water heater is cold before doing anything, and release any pressure with the pressure relief valve (up and to the right) before you try to remove the plug.

In our Axis the driver and passenger side curtains are retained with cloth and Velcro "swags" that wrap around the curtains and stick to a bit of Velcro on the wall behind the windows. The fabric matches the curtains. They may be there, but would blend into the curtains if you don't know what you are looking for.

What exactly is the problem with cable? If it's not working at all the most likely cause is that the antenna booster is "ON". It has to be on to get over the air broadcasts from the crank-up antenna.

BUT, it must be "OFF" to use the cable connection. In our's the control box is in the cabinet above the sink, way at the back. I'm 5' 10", and I still have to use a stool to be able to see it and turn it on/off.

Welcome to the Axis community! Hopefully you'll like you unit as much as we all do once you get the kinks worked out! Motorhome ownership is not for the faint of heart. There is always something to fix, replace, or improve!

Regards,

Randy
As a potential newbie, that last paragraph is what worries me the most. "Motorhome ownership is not for the faint of heart. There is always something to fix, replace , or improve."

The problem is I'm not a mechanic at all. I don't have any tools except for a couple of crescent wrenches and screw drivers, and I'm not real handy with them. And I'm 69 years old. In pretty good shape, but 69 is 69 right. I'm wanting to get an RV like this, but i'm afraid after reading these blogs that i'm not qualified to fix some of this stuff that goes wrong on the road. I'm curious if some of you regular RVers would like to comment on this. Plus, the Thor products seem to be unreliable at best and junk sometimes. Are all the RVs the same? Junk that needs constant repair on the go? Just curious on your thoughts. Pretty hard to spend $70,000 on something that needs constant repair and maintenance. Be cheaper to just go to a $150 motel every night wouldn't it?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #38

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: California
THOR #791
Poor Quality Product

We have had our 2014 Thor Hurricane 32A for a year now. I don't see how there could be any quality control out of the factory. We have had a multitude of issues with our rig.
-The dining slide was not closing evenly, was in and out of the shop for weeks because of a gap at one corner.
-Screws on exterior ladder not fully seated.
-Alignment was off, pulling to the right. Made a long trip very tiring try to keep her straight.
-Bad propane regulator. Had to be replaced.
-Large rock chips from the trip out from Indiana, front end had to be repainted.
-Engine cover hold downs broken/missing.
-Drivers side window rattles.
-Dashboard lights not working.
-The curtain hangers were all rusted and wore through the loop that supports them.
-The door catch that keeps the bathroom door open separating the bedroom from the living area did not meet the hardware so it would not stay open.
-Loose TV cables (not properly crimped) were causing noisy picture.
-Leveling jack were not calibrated.
-Leveling jacks were leaking hydrolic fluid at the motor, hoses were not tightened properly at the factory.
-Cabinets are cheaply made, some shelves are cut too short, do meet the plastic supports.
-Bunk bed got stuck, would not go up. Motors had to be replaced.
-Linoleum has gouge in it from a protruding screw under the dining slide.
-Multiple loose screws found underneath the dining slide.
-Tail light fills with water when it rains or from washing.
-Wallpaper is wrinkled at each wall cabinet corner from cabinets dropping slightly.
-The seal that is supposed to sit between the frame and coach floor is hanging down in one area.
-There are wire penetrations from the exterior that were not sealed at the factory.
-Rear mud flap support keeps coming loose on one side.
-Screw missing on fender skirt.
-Wallpaper at top of shower is peeling, not glued very well.

I'm sure I've left off a few things..... Some of these are petty, I know, but they should be caught before leaving the factory. I get the feeling these rigs are slapped together as fast as possible and pushed out the door.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #39

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
edvic, welcome to the never boring world of Thor ownership!

I spent a day vacuuming out my 2015 Hurricane, under the couch, inside the drawers in all rooms, behind lower cabinets. Wait till you have to start fixing things, you will find many other hidden (not so much) treasures! We are going to the yearly RV show at the IX center today in Cleveland, Ohio. I like to see the different layouts and get ideas of upgrades for my RV, although this year I have the new motorhome.

Many people on here are long time RV owners and state Thor is no worst than any other manufacturer. That is a defeatist attitude if you ask me, many wrongs do not make poor quality workmanship right!

Anyway, just know brother that you are not alone in your frustration with Thor.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #40

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Hexrays,

I have so many of the same problems you have listed in my 2015 hurricane 34J. I am so fearful the full body slide will not go back in some day, I know it is going to happen. There is no way in heck I will be able to crank that thing in also, so it is a call to a service tech in my future! Argg!

No quality control at all!