Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
teeitup26,

A new RV for that price, as my Hurricane I just paid $91,000.00 for, will be a headache for sure. In my opinion, your best buy would be to purchase a 3-4 yr. old model that has the bugs worked out, and fixed (hopefully).

I enjoy driving and sleeping in my RV much more than a hotel. All the foods we like, own bed sheets, no TSA agents prodding you, but it is a hassle sometimes, especially with a new rig that is a POS! Good luck!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvic View Post
Honestly. I'm quite fed up with Thor. So far, We have picked up 9 loose screws laying about. We missed one and it got caught up under the couch. When we put out the slide it took a gouge out of the lino. Another thing to beware of if you are considering buying one of these very poorly quality controlled vehicles. And again - this rig was driven from Indiana to Victoria and no one bothered with these most fundamental faults?
You know darn well that if a company like Ford or GM or any car company decided to make RVs and they brought out a product like Thor or any of the RV mfg does, they would be hauled in front of Congress and racked over the coals by indignant Congressmen trying to protect votes in their state although prolly not in the state where it was made. Ha But people just buy these poorly made boxes it seems and merrily go about their way fixing them. Incredible.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #43

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1327
RE: Manual for Axis

I met a Thor rep at the Denver RV show and asked why there is no specific manual for the AXIS and he replied that they keep changing the unit design and a generic ones come with the unit. I explained that many new Owners and Prospects are asking the same questions over and over again, and it would be most helpful for us and Thor to spend time on a "supplemental" document at least not a full blown manual. I mentioned that some us retired folks have the time to put something together and he said Thor would like to obtain a copy for their use if possible. So, it looks like we are on our own.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #44

THOR #1327
Teeitup:

I have come to the realization that all RV's need warranty and repair work and its the nature of buying a "custom" product. So, its either one does it themselves (not me) or accepts that it will cost hundreds of dollars per month for the use of the RV. One gentlemen asked me at the Denver RV show, if I would pay an additional $10-15k for a "perfect" quality unit needing no repairs for 3-5 years much like a car? I understood his point and have decided I will just plan on correcting any components on my Axis and enjoy it over the years.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #45

THOR #1295
I would easily pay the money for the decreased aggravation and peace of mind knowing everything will work!
Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #46

State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
I just purchased a new 2015 Axis which is my first RV. So I'm really a newbie. My unit was winterized when delivered. The tech at the orintation said all I had do was blow out water lines throug the city water hookup with an air compressor. Does this sound correct?

Also, can someone tell me where the fresh water tank drain value is located. We are planning a trip at the end of February and I need to sanitize the fresh water tank before we use it.

Thanks for any help you can give. BTW all the info on this forum is really helpful.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomspen
I just purchased a new 2015 Axis which is my first RV. So I'm really a newbie. My unit was winterized when delivered. The tech at the orintation said all I had do was blow out water lines throug the city water hookup with an air compressor. Does this sound correct?

Also, can someone tell me where the fresh water tank drain value is located. We are planning a trip at the end of February and I need to sanitize the fresh water tank before we use it.

Thanks for any help you can give. BTW all the info on this forum is really helpful.
Which Axis model do you have? (24.1, 24.2, 25.1, etc.)

There are two ways to winterize: Blow out all the lines with a compressor, or pump in the RV Antifreeze (pink stuff). Both methods are equally effective (some people prefer to blow out the lines because they don't like the residual taste the pink stuff leaves--I can't taste it, perhaps I just rinse out our system enough).

On our 24.1 the fresh water tank drain valve is under the passenger rear bed--in fact ALL of the winterizing valves are under the passenger rear bed (at least you can get to all of them from there). There are two screws holding the piece of wood under the mattress. Remove the screws and lift the wood; you'll see the fresh water tank, the pump, the antifreeze injection point, all the valves, the water heater, the furnace (furnace and water heater looking towards the front of the coach).

Your dealer really should have gone over all of this with you during PDI (ours did, even showed us how to winterize it).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #48

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Evergreen49,

Too bad, this would be a great time for Thor to reach out to customers. They could show customers they actually do care.

With no help from them we should copyright it. If they don't help, they should have to pay us to use it.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #49

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomspen View Post

Congratulations on your Axis purchase and welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours.

I see that you have the 24.1 also. The water heater shutoff and bypass valves are located behind the wooden louvered panel below the closet door. You will need to remove the 4 wood screws to gain access.

The fresh water holding tank, pump and drain valves are in the location that Jamie mentioned.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #50

THOR #1123
I would also recommend adding the RV antifreeze (pink stuff) as a safeguard after blowing out with a compressor. Too many places where water can stand and freeze lines if not completely blown out. Water pump will retain water and freeze up also.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #51

State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
Jamie and Larry thanks so much for your advise. I'll probably have a lot more questions before I take my first road trip to FL at the end of Feb.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #52

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
THOR #1147
Don't forget the outdoor shower when you blow and fill. I did. I'm more than half expecting to have to replace the valve assembly. Won't know until it warms up and we flush the antifreeze out. Thankfully it looks like an easy job if I do have to replace it.

Randy
Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #53

Model: 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #1358
Where is it?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #54

THOR #1123
It's in the small locking panel just to the left of the city water connection.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #55

THOR #1358
Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #56

THOR #1358
Oops.Wrong thread. I'm trying to find the antenna amp!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #57

THOR #1123
The antenna amp is located in the upper cabinet over the kitchen sink at the far right rear corner. A small button switch will turn on/off and green light will come on when activated.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #58
pkh

State: Washington
THOR #1483
New AXIS Owner

Hello all -
I too just bought an AXIS. We have some experience with conversion vans and renting RVs but this is our first real Motorhome.

We had decided to rent RVs since we could never decide on a size / type that would check every box. This is until we found the AXIS / Vegas.

We did not want a large motorhome but we wanted to be able to tow our boat. The AXIS gives us the towing capacity we need in a smaller package. If we did not need to tow we might have considered a Sprinter Chassis style rig, but the AXIS really impressed us with size and value.

Anyhoo we have a number of upgrades in the pipeline:

2x 130 watt solar panels + 28 amp charge controller
3000 watt inverter
2x Maxx Air Vent covers
Wifi Ranger Antenna / Go Router

We also plan on upgrading the OEM foam matresses to two twin mattresses (we have the 24.1 floor plan.) Are there any things to know about getting matresses for RVs?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #59

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
I went nuts with the cable connection this weekend also! Tried a different coax, tighten every coax cable I could get too......since the weather was kind of bad, I decided to go up to the park office and ask the lady if they were having satellite difficulty. They knew we were newbie's, and her husband over heard the conversion and immediately know what it was. I had to look all over, but found it in the cabinet above the TV, hid by that input selector box.....small push switch with a green light........pressed it, and clear as day...my cable
Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #60

THOR #1295
These are the things the dealer should go over with you.

Plug alert - Avalon RV in Akron Ohio is where I purchased my old class C Sunseeker in 2009 and the tech had us there for over 2 hours going over every little nook and switch in that RV. The children were bored silly but I had personally turned on every switch and rotated every knob in the RV prior to leaving. And that was on a second hand model! Unbelievable service.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote