Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #28772
Black water flush

Hello, my husband and I bought a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24. We can’t find the black water flush port. Can anyone please help? We need to clean out the black water tank. The RV smells like you know what.
Thanks!

Old 01-02-2023, 05:33 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Don't have your coach but I suspect somewhere in the wet bay there should be female hose connection with a rubber cap marked Sani Flush.
Is this your first coach? There are several reason's a black tank can get stanky.
I won't waste your time with the why's and what for's if you are an experienced RV'r.
If you are a noobie than the folks on this forum can help you try and eliminate what is causing your black tank to get aromatic.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Smaller coaches typically don't have a "wet bay"; it sacrifices storage bays which are already in short supply.

Look closely at the attachments on the driver side wall near the rear the rear of the coach. It's labeled "SAN-T-FLUSH"... and has a threaded hose connector.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCajun View Post
Hello, my husband and I bought a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24. We can’t find the black water flush port. Can anyone please help? We need to clean out the black water tank. The RV smells like you know what.
Thanks!
Which model 24" (i.e. HE, FE)?

Looking at pictures online I don't see a flush port externally, just the city water connection.

Are you sure it has a Santi-Flush? I don't see any mention of one in the brochure:

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...om%20Elite.pdf
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:39 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Many/most of the small Thor class Cs don’t have a flush system and it likely wouldn’t solve your problem if it did. The tank will always smell but the smell should not be entering the living space. Make sure there is standing water in the toilet bowl and perhaps check to be sure the air admittance valve under each sink is working properly. They simply unscrew.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:44 AM   #6
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Opened a picture of a unit for sale from an add of Jonson's RV. The sewer connections are in the driver's back end under the coach. Gray handle for the gray water and black for the poop water. The sewer hose connection is back there too. Used "Happy Camper" and eliminated the black and gray tank smell. Especially prior to having to service the valves. Gray stinks worse than the black. Don't ask me why I know! If you have a Studor valve under a sink, it can be a source. If you run the fan to vent when you go, when you flush it can draw some tank smell up when it opens the valve to the tank. Another source can be the tank vents. Seal around the vent to the roof with Dicor. There should not be any opening between the pipe and the roof. You may have to remove the vent cover and base to see if there is any gap. Another wonder source is the tank vent being carried to an open room vent!
Old 01-03-2023, 03:39 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If no flush port, you can alternatively run a garden hose into the bathroom and add water through the toilet.

Note... The "flush port" is misleading. There is NOT enough pressure to actually FLUSH anything from the black tank All you are doing is simply running water into the tank.

Here's what I'd suggest: First, drain the black tank. Close that drain valve. Then drain the gray tank. Close the gray drain valve.

However you choose to do it, fill BOTH tanks at least 3/4 full... more is better. Then drain BOTH tanks again. REPEAT.

Now add 1/2 cup Dawn dish detergent to each tank (through the toilet and through the kitchen sink). Fill both tanks again as before. Add 6 ounces bleach to each tank... flush with some water to make sure it gets into the tanks.

Let that sit AT LEAST overnight. Drain both tanks. Then add about 6 ounces of any laundry detergent, followed by 6 ounces of Calgon into the black tank only.

Then... NEVER EVER rinse food waste of ANY KIND down your kitchen sink! Use wipes (generic sanitizer wipes) to wipe your dishes - put food waste into the TRASH where it belongs. Food waste (especially oils and grease) will make your gray tank stink worse than a sewage treatment plant. Who knows what those before you put down the sink?

Sure, it takes a little effort, but if you "pre-clean" your dishes, then use the sink washing as a "sanitizing" station, your gray tank will have NO ODOR... other than detergent!

From then on, simply drain and flush your black tank with water as above; just add the laundry detergent/Calgon mix when done. And all you need to do with the gray tank is drain it. If you ONLY put soapy water (dish water, washing hands, showers) into your gray tank, it WILL NEVER stink!
Old 01-03-2023, 06:28 AM   #8

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If no flush port, you can alternatively run a garden hose into the bathroom and add water through the toilet.

Note... The "flush port" is misleading. There is NOT enough pressure to actually FLUSH anything from the black tank All you are doing is simply running water into the tank.

Here's what I'd suggest: First, drain the black tank. Close that drain valve. Then drain the gray tank. Close the gray drain valve.

However you choose to do it, fill BOTH tanks at least 3/4 full... more is better. Then drain BOTH tanks again. REPEAT.

Now add 1/2 cup Dawn dish detergent to each tank (through the toilet and through the kitchen sink). Fill both tanks again as before. Add 6 ounces bleach to each tank... flush with some water to make sure it gets into the tanks.

Let that sit AT LEAST overnight. Drain both tanks. Then add about 6 ounces of any laundry detergent, followed by 6 ounces of Calgon into the black tank only.

Then... NEVER EVER rinse food waste of ANY KIND down your kitchen sink! Use wipes (generic sanitizer wipes) to wipe your dishes - put food waste into the TRASH where it belongs. Food waste (especially oils and grease) will make your gray tank stink worse than a sewage treatment plant. Who knows what those before you put down the sink?

Sure, it takes a little effort, but if you "pre-clean" your dishes, then use the sink washing as a "sanitizing" station, your gray tank will have NO ODOR... other than detergent!

From then on, simply drain and flush your black tank with water as above; just add the laundry detergent/Calgon mix when done. And all you need to do with the gray tank is drain it. If you ONLY put soapy water (dish water, washing hands, showers) into your gray tank, it WILL NEVER stink!
YES to the Dawn and liquid Calgon! I prefer suds to clogs! It also helps keep the film off of our sensors.

And just for FYI: Our Thor came with a nice "concrete mountain" of powdered Borax that almost completely blocked the dump pipe! Plenty of Dawn and then we hooked a hose to our home's hot water tank, and alternately blasting it, using a broom stick to gently tap it, soak a few minutes, and blasting some more, was all that helped!
Now I tell anyone that plans on using the Borax powder that they should mix it completely with HOT water before adding it to their tank.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 01-03-2023, 12:40 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Well once again we haven’t heard back from the OP. Rookie or pro? Who knows. Might be as simple as leaving no water in the toilet while closed up for extended time. We may never know.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:18 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I wouldn't recommend bleach or any other harsh chemicals due to possible drain valve damage.
They make suitable waste digesters, but those take days/weeks to breakdown waste. If you have a blockage the Sani Flush probably won't help, a piece of old water hose to run down the toilet with the drain valve open is probably the best option throw that piece of hose away when finished. After clearing the blockage then use the Dawn Calgon mix or whatever deodorizer you chose.
Someone mentioned the Studer valve under the sink, that would be a great place to check also. The originals are the cheapest on the market & do tend to go bad allowing smells into the rv. They're not terribly expensive for a much better quality.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote