Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2015, 01:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
TPO vs. Rubber Roofing

We just purchased a new 1215 Thor class C. I believe we have TPO not rubber roofing. I'm not sure how to take care of a TPO roof. We'll wash it off every 3 to 6 months, but what should be used on it to protect it from sun damage? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I just use the same kinds of cleaners for my TPO roof that work for EPDM (rubber) roofing.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
From Alpha's web sight

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE

Proper care and maintenance of your Alpha Systems roof membrane is critical for years of trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.

Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas, and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.

The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be patched.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #3495
TPO for me for sure. Not only is it popular these days, it has good value for it as well. It lasts longer, is durable and also is easier to install and maintain. Rubber roofing may have it's pros, but if you ask my, it's TPO hands down.