Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
Wink Tuscany 36MQ

Hi,
The wife and I just purchased a "new" 2014 Tuscany 36 MQ. It only have mileage from the factory to a New Hampshire dealer then to a Mass dealer.

Love the bus, but driving home in 39 degree driving rain was an experience. Approximately 20 miles away from the dealer, and after the dealer had closed, the driver side windshield wiper flew off while we were driving on a freeway.

Now for the real question. The temperature gauge was pretty much in the center of the operating range. However the temperature of the air flow, which was very strong with the fan turn on high, blew air that was only moderately warm. Perhaps only in the 70 degree range.

I am taking the bus to the RV dealer for a state inspection shortly, but is it normal for the driver and passenger to experience such a lack of front cabin heating?

Thanks
Will
Currently a member of the frozen chosen

Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Hey WT!

My wife and I also just purchased a 36mq in February. After we spent a week living in a campground (in single digit temps!)near the dealership we took it back to have a few minor issues repaired. Nothing major. Dealership fixed all of our issues except for one that Thor took back to the factory to repair. Before they did so we took it on a short 200 mile road trip - just to see if we discovered anything else. Just a few minor things also, nothing major.

Our road trip was in 40 degree weather and we had the same issue with the heat. But once you understand the heat is coming of the engine, about 35 feet behind you and your trying to heat the entire MH with that single heat source it makes sense that you can't really warm up the space as you can in a car. I've read that some put a curtain behind the cockpit to keep the heat closed in or that some run with the propane heat on.

I've got to say after reading about some of qc issues about Thor on the Internet I had some concerns. But I've got nothing but good things to say about the quality of the coach, Thor, and our dealership. Thor has bent over backward to make sure we are satisfied.

Have fun and good luck.

R/
Old 03-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #3

Model: Astoria 36MQ
State: New Jersey
THOR #434
While my coach is a few years older, it's the same except mine's an Astoria 36MQ. I'll agree that your dash heat is working as mine...not real warm. I've driven numerous diesel pushers & they're the same. Like Greg84 said, the heat source is just too far behind you. Also the fact that there's really nothing in front of you except a few layers of fiberglass, it makes for a chillier ride. Also, You may want to face the fans towards the windshield. The blower motor doesn't have enough oomph to keep the entire windshield clear. The coldest we've driven in was 30 degrees & we've run the LP furnace (I know there are a lot of folks who say driving with propane on is a bad idea).
Greg84, I'm interested what the problem was that Thor fixed at the factory?

Anyway, I wish both of you enjoy your new coaches. I hope you find yours as pleasurable as mine. Remember that there is no perfect coach. Let's keep in touch & share our experiences.
Happy, safe miles & Godspeed to ya's!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:48 AM   #4

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Mucksavage, a couple of hairline cracks in tiles that go under the shower. Nothing major, frankly if it wasn't under warranty I wouldnt have worried about it. Somewhat what embarrassing to even mention it.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 AM   #5

THOR #434
Don't be embarrassed! Interesting that I have a cracked tile in the same location except mine is from the hall into the bathroom. Of course that particular tile is under the bathroom wall (where the door strike plate is) I know my dealer's level of competency & this is outside of it. I feared the fix would be worse than the crack!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
Hi,
Thanks to all for the replies. Assuming engine is operating at normal operating temperature and rpm; Just wondering what the engineering specs are for the temperature of water delivered to front cabin and volume of water delivered to front cabin. Also wondering if that delivery water hose is insulated.
Will
Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #7

THOR #434
Interesting question. Perhaps I'll try to chase those heater hoses & shoot their temperature/loss with a IR thermometer