Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Check the coach over carefully before signing on the dotted line. Thor ok'd 3 of 4 items we found after a couple of weeks. The 4th was turned done because the dealer hadn't noted it on receiving the coach from Thor. It's no biggie for us, just a heat gun and tooth pick to fix when we get home this fall.
The floor plan is ideal for us and the way we camp.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4629
Thanks for being so helpful and welcoming

I didn't expect such an outpouring of good will, great suggestions and sharing of hard won experience.

I'm feeling really happy to be in this group and I totally appreciate the warm welcomes.

You are all awesome!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:42 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Connecticut
THOR #4640
just a note

As a newbie to this I feel real welcome and also appreciate all the advise I have received today. that place looks really nice may have to get there, NC is one of my favorite place to go especially the Coastal area.. GMaz
Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 AM   #24

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
When you insert the business end of your sewer slinky into where you are dumping, make SURE it won't whip out when you pull the valve....don't even ask how I know.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Bob,

I have the DW stand with her foot on the 90 degree bend that goes into the ground sewer receiver. I have been looking for a good old OD Green Sandbag to carry and use for securing the pipe in place (and avoid the DW's involvement in the process).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 AM   #26
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Bob,

I have the DW stand with her foot on the 90 degree bend that goes into the ground sewer receiver. I have been looking for a good old OD Green Sandbag to carry and use for securing the pipe in place (and avoid the DW's involvement in the process).

Doc
Hmmmm...exactly what we do ! In Knoxville tonight...Ron grabbed the steel cover for the water supply to lay against the ground sewer. Worked for me !
The sand bag sounds like a good plan !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 AM   #27
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Congrats on your new Vegas and good luck. We just purchased a Vegas 25.2 a couple of months ago and have gone on several trips. There have been a few warranty issues but are not disappointed with our purchase. You mentioned a steering stabilizer I just had a Safe T Plus installed and it made enough of a difference that I am happy with my decision.
Kev
Old 06-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #28

THOR #4640
Where did you get the Safe T Plus ? I have found there are 3-4 different makers of this item, Blue Ox makes one, Campers world sells one and the place where i bought mine sells the Safe T Plus. I am getting one soon, did you put it on yourself or have an RV place do it? GMaz
Old 06-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #29

THOR #2142
GMazz,

I went to Georgia to the Manufacturing plant to get our Safe-T-Plus. They did the install and adjustments for free. I got a tour of the plant, watched them make various sizes for various sized trucks and they answered all my questions. Really an enjoyable visit!

Check on the web and see if they have a Plant near you.

Doc

Old 06-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #30

State: Washington
THOR #2123
Kara,

Welcome to the Thor RUV family! We bought ours 13 months ago while traveling through Michigan.

We have, THANKFULLY, been problem free. Had 2 recalls that we had taken care of locally. We feel fortunate to have found a unit with no problems, as compared to some who have discussed their problems on these forums.

If you should have any questions please feel free to message us. We live just over an hour north of Portland, are retired, and most happy to help in any way.

Happy travels,
Keith
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #31

THOR #4640
safe t plus and the welcome

I'll check the website and see if they do that would great if I could get the same kind of buy & install deal...
What were the 2 recalls--were they on the 2016? maybe I should ask the place where I bought mine if that work has been done.... Thanks and Semper Fi proud son of a WWII 1st Marine Raider--Canal & other exotic Islands...
Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #32

State: Washington
THOR #2123
The recalls were on the AC/heater cable & the one about something too close to the exhaust (mine not included, but they checked it anyway).
Old 06-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #33
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Safe T Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMazz View Post
Where did you get the Safe T Plus ? I have found there are 3-4 different makers of this item, Blue Ox makes one, Campers world sells one and the place where i bought mine sells the Safe T Plus. I am getting one soon, did you put it on yourself or have an RV place do it? GMaz
Bought it on Amazon. Had a local shop do the install for 100.00.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #34

THOR #2142
GMazz,

The AC/Heater cable was "Safety Recall 15V-350, Defective Heater/AC Control" that I had on my early 2016 24.1, it is posted on this forum. The other was a problem with the transmission cable too close/touching the exhaust system (see "E350 won't shift..." thread this forum).

Right now there is some concern on the outside heater panel design allowing water to be drawn into the heater, onto the control board and shorting it out. I will be getting mine replaced this Friday. The attachment shows the old design that is defective.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1467140891

Also, check out the two batteries under the steps as you enter. Many of us have had problems with Harris brand of batteries. If you have Harris try to get them swapped out before you buy or get in writing that the dealership will cover them if they die.
From first hand experience (the saga is posted this Forum), mine would not hold a charge, they were declared "Sulfate Dead". Thor said it was not their fault, Harris blamed WFCO the company that makes the charger/converter, WFCO said their charger/converter was fine that the batteries might have been abused before I bought the unit so it was not their fault. Fingers were pointed, warranties were denied, emails were sent, Bottom line: I replaced the dead batteries at month 5 of ownership, out of my pocket. In month 12 I finally contacted the president/owner/CEO of Thor and got reimbursed. Save yourself the headache and try to get rid of the Harris batteries before you buy.

One last thought, watch your rear bumper. One week before my 1 year Thor Warranty expired the paint started puckering up...rusting under the paint. I got the bumper replaced right at the end of the warranty period.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater panel2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2362  

Old 06-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #35
Rob

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Ontario
THOR #3180
Congratulations.
A small hint: Ford will provide a front end alignment within one year of the sale of the vehicle chassis to Thor. In my case I had only three months to take advantage of it.
I suggest you register the vehicle with Ford and have the alignment done quickly.
Also the Ford warranty starts when Thor buys the chassis, not when you buy the finished product.
Rob Bird
2015 Axis 25.1
Old 06-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #36

THOR #2142
Rob,

I believe that if you check you can contact Ford and get the warranty start date changed the date you took ownership. There is a thread somewhere on this Forum, I did it a year ago and I believe it was all online.

Doc

Old 06-29-2016, 04:39 AM   #37

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
PDXkara,

Congrats: so exciting. If you read the newbie post just prior to yours, that's me with same/similar considerations that you seem to have had. I'm still pondering and thinking both class C small diesel or an Axis and was thinking a 2016 would be great. In me trying to do research on an Axis/Vegas from Eugene, OR I'm not finding who has them. So when you say you did comparison shopping between dealers, presumably in OR? or, sounds as if you are driving back from somewhere remote? I'm just starting in the research mode. Will be awhile for me to work out details and be ready to purchase. Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

- karen
Old 06-29-2016, 04:57 AM   #38

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4629
Hi Karen -

I was on the RVTrader.com website and saved auto-searches for Axis 24.1 and Vegas 24.1. The RVTrader auto-search will email you listings daily.

One day, a bunch of Vegas/Axis prices were under $70K so I contacted all those dealers - Boise/Meridian, SLC, Golden CO, and another one in WI. I could not find an Axis/Vegas in OR/WA under the MSRP, but I didn't call either. I figured if they want our business, they'll price in a way people want to buy from them.

My bad experience with a used dealer showed me that dealers tack on all sorts of crazy fees. I had my own financing ready, so I expected to pay minimal dealer fees, and no sales tax as an OR resident. Out of all the dealers I contacted, the CampingWorld in Golden CO had the least fees, best out the door price, and the woman I've been dealing with (Annie) has been quick to reply and easy to work with...so I just went with them. They're even picking us up from the airport and bringing us to the dealership.

I have a friend to visit with in Denver, so that was a huge plus too.

Anyway, good luck with your search and keep me posted if you feel like sharing!

Take care,

--Kara

Tags
newbie, purchasing