Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Hi Chance:

The rack is an ATOC draftmaster. We've had car-top ATOC racks for years, so this was a natural choice for us. The draftmaster isn't cheap. but it works well for us, since we can put either our upright or our recumbent tandem on it, and it is easily done single-handed. The rack drops down to mount the tandem, then swings up.

The bikes do get a bit dusty when we drive a couple hundred miles, but I suspect that half of that comes from just sitting around in dry countryside. They stay out of the wind (no bugs) and up off the road (no spray that we've noticed so far).

To mount it on the Vegas, I had a bit of a conversation with ATOC - they have an extended hitch mount that was needed so that the rack stays off of the RV. It has about 5 inches of clearance, which seems pretty good to me.

-Andy

Old 04-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thanks. I'm still hoping to find a motorhome with a compartment large enough for bikes, including our largest tandem, but if that fails I'll certainly look into your bike rack. The swing-up feature sounds great.

I think most motorhomes create a lot of turbulence on back which gets bikes dirty pretty fast. This happens behind my van and previous SUV also, but not as bad as on Class C. I drove from Texas to Yellowstone with a bike off rear bumper years ago and it was a mess. Fortunately newer bikes have good seals that keep most dirt out of bearings so I only had to wash the bike and clean the chain really well.

Thanks again for information, and wish you well in your RV and cycling adventures.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #23
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
THANK YOU EVERYONE !! for all the information. NW Washington is on the list of places to go. I looked at the map and saw the bridge to Whidby Island.
And RV Reviews, offers much info regarding the State Parks/Private Parks .. and which parks are motorhome friendly, etc.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote