Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
What shows a motorhome"s model year

Hi, I outlined my question on another thread where no one will probably see it. My question is: what is evidence of a used motorhomes true Model Year? Let me put this in context to garner the answer i need. I have contacted an individual who is trying to sell what he at first claims is a 2006 model. During the discussion about the unit I ask him to let me know what it cost to tag the unit last year. He said it was $85 and then said but i did have a problem at DMV. Although the sales slip from the seller who was the first owner said it was a 2006 motorhome, DVM said the Vin number said it was a 2005 Express Van. He said i explained how the motorhome industry builds new motorhomes on last year's chassis. The DVM wouldn't buy it and tagged it as a 2005.

So, now the question is should i offer to buy a 2005 home or a 2006 motorhome. The difference in price is $7,000. Trust the Title or the seller? Thanks. Dave

Old 07-06-2016, 12:04 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Sounds like the state says it's a '05 on their paperwork so legally it's a '05. It's up to the owner to dispute the paperwork if he has information to prove otherwise.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #3

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Sounds like the state says it's a '05 on their paperwork so legally it's a '05. It's up to the owner to dispute the paperwork if he has information to prove otherwise.
He's claiming the original sales paperwork from the guy he bought it from said it was a 2006 not a 2005. I know it's common for the motorhome industry to use a chassis from 2005 to make a 2006 motorhome, but wouldn't the VIN number use the manufacturers model year 2006 if it really was? A seller can claim anything they want, but doesn't a VIN number tell the only true story. If i bought the unit with the 2005 VIN number don't i own a 2005 motorhome and therefore have a motorhome worth 1 year less than i thought?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26
He's claiming the original sales paperwork from the guy he bought it from said it was a 2006 not a 2005. I know it's common for the motorhome industry to use a chassis from 2005 to make a 2006 motorhome, but wouldn't the VIN number use the manufacturers model year 2006 if it really was? A seller can claim anything they want, but doesn't a VIN number tell the only true story. If i bought the unit with the 2005 VIN number don't i own a 2005 motorhome and therefore have a motorhome worth 1 year less than i thought?
Not necessarily. The RV manufacturers will frequently buy up chassis and have them "in stock" and thus you could have a 2005 chassis on a 2006 motorhome. The VIN will have the year of the chassis but not the motorhome's manufacturer's year.

Your best bet would be to call the manufacturer (Thor or not), give them the VIN and ask what model year it is. Even one ten years old the manufacturer should be able to tell you.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 AM   #5

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not necessarily. The RV manufacturers will frequently buy up chassis and have them "in stock" and thus you could have a 2005 chassis on a 2006 motorhome. The VIN will have the year of the chassis but not the motorhome's manufacturer's year.

Your best bet would be to call the manufacturer (Thor or not), give them the VIN and ask what model year it is. Even one ten years old the manufacturer should be able to tell you.

Great idea JamieGeek. Appreciate the thinking. So, I guess even if it's a 2005 chassis on a 2006 motorhome build, it's the same amount of miles on that chassis. But then would an older chassis necessarily carry the same value in old age as a younger one would? Assuming positive modifications are constantly being made?. I'm trying to figure out how to put a proper valuation on the unit in order to bid the right price for both of us.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Great idea JamieGeek. Appreciate the thinking. So, I guess even if it's a 2005 chassis on a 2006 motorhome build, it's the same amount of miles on that chassis. But then would an older chassis necessarily carry the same value in old age as a younger one would? Assuming positive modifications are constantly being made?. I'm trying to figure out how to put a proper valuation on the unit in order to bid the right price for both of us.
You might be surprised to find your own motorhome has a chassis one year older than the motorhome you purchased. It is very, very common...
Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #7

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
You might be surprised to find your own motorhome has a chassis one year older than the motorhome you purchased. It is very, very common...
Bob, thanks for the comment. What i'm trying to determine is: is the older chassis on the next model year motorhome worth less than a newer chassis on that same motorhome? For example, I know for sure that when the new 6 speed transmission started to be used in the Axis, the value of the motorhome increased for a lot of people.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 AM   #8

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Bob, thanks for the comment. What i'm trying to determine is: is the older chassis on the next model year motorhome worth less than a newer chassis on that same motorhome? For example, I know for sure that when the new 6 speed transmission started to be used in the Axis, the value of the motorhome increased for a lot of people.
I hope not...we just bought a 2016 Ace 29.3 a couple months ago and found out it has a 2015 chassis ....
Old 07-06-2016, 01:50 AM   #9

THOR #1067
Quote:
I hope not...we just bought a 2016 Ace 29.3 a couple months ago and found out it has a 2015 chassis ....
I'm sorry Bob, not sure i understand. What is it you're hoping not for? thanks.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:52 AM   #10

THOR #4032
I would not like to think it lowered the value....
Old 07-06-2016, 02:06 AM   #11

THOR #1067
Quote:
I would not like to think it lowered the value....
I guess the only way you'll ever know is when you go to sell it and see what the market thinks it's worth. Assuming we still have free markets after Hillary is President.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 AM   #12

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If you bought any rv new then you lost value the minute you signed the paperwork & cleared the dealers driveway. IMHO the chassis it what's being registered not necessarily what's on/above it.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Yup, when I was checking out our 2016 Hurricane, I ran the VIN against the Ford truck VIN lookup and found the chassis was a 2015, so that gave me some leverage in our deal. However, in terms of value... as others have said, depreciation kicks in the second you sign on the line.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote