Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #14683
whindshield leak

A leak has developed in the upper exterior rubber gasket of the windshield on my 2018 Vegas. It appears that the seal around the gasket separated. I have resealed it with windshield sealer until I can workout the details with Thor and the warranty. My next problem is that the headliner is full of water and dripping. I need to release that now and inspect it for damage.
Anyone ever pull the headliner buttons.Mine are in super tight and I don't want to damage the clip or the headliner.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
let us know about removing and or repairing headliner, i have slight staining around front sun window on 2017 gemini. I'm hesitant to tear into anything till I'm done w my summer road trips.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I remember several other people having problems with leaking Axis/Vegas windshields in the early years of construction. With the new smaller windows starting in 2016, I have not seen additional issues. The windshield was apparently installed incorrectly and I believe the only sure, permanent fix is to take the windshield out and replace the gasket.

On the headliner, I do not remember any discussions on removing it. Might be worth a call to Thor and ask them.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

Model: Vegas
State: Idaho
THOR #15701
Is the seal supposed to go around the entire windshield? Ours has some separation about 1/8" in the middle at the bottom. Is this a problem?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

THOR #1765
It’s supposed to seal all the way around so it doesn’t leak. Mine does not have a gap at the bottom. I honestly don’t know how much of an issue that actually is, but I would check with Thor.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #6

State: New York
THOR #14683
I spoke to a windshield rep and he said, depending on the type of gasket, the top is usually sealed from side to side. The sides and bottom should be a tight friction fit. Also, there should be a small gap between the ends of the gasket where they meet in the bottom center of the windshield. This acts as a weep hole. If the ends meet anywhere but the bottom its installed incorrectly. I've since sealed the crack with windshield sealer until I can speak with Thor. It looks like it sealed up nicely. I haven't attempted the headliner clips yet.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhb215 View Post
I spoke to a windshield rep and he said, depending on the type of gasket, the top is usually sealed from side to side. The sides and bottom should be a tight friction fit. Also, there should be a small gap between the ends of the gasket where they meet in the bottom center of the windshield. This acts as a weep hole. If the ends meet anywhere but the bottom its installed incorrectly. I've since sealed the crack with windshield sealer until I can speak with Thor. It looks like it sealed up nicely. I haven't attempted the headliner clips yet.
Which coach do you have? Because if the large windshield on the original 2014 Axis/Vegas, it supposedly had a special gasket. There were so many problems with mis-installation of these windows and gaskets leading to subsequent cracking, that Thor redesigned them in 2016. I don’t know if they changed the design of the gasket (they obviously changed the size with the smaller window).
Old 06-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhb215 View Post
A leak has developed in the upper exterior rubber gasket of the windshield on my 2018 Vegas. It appears that the seal around the gasket separated. I have resealed it with windshield sealer until I can workout the details with Thor and the warranty. My next problem is that the headliner is full of water and dripping. I need to release that now and inspect it for damage.
Anyone ever pull the headliner buttons.Mine are in super tight and I don't want to damage the clip or the headliner.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jim
Exact same thing happened to our 2018 Vegas about 6 months into ownership, still under warranty. I took it to CW (though I didn't purchase from CW, they still are authorized warranty repairs) and it took them a few days to find where the leak came from. It was just a very small spot that the rain had to hit just right to get in. Once the water intruded, it would pour out of the overhead liner onto the dash. CW sent pictures to Thor and told me to call Thor to expedite the approval for warranty. I called and the rep brought up the pictures and told me I would have approval the next day. Sure enough, CW called me at 8:30 the next morning and said they had received approval for the seal replacement. They scheduled the RV Windshield repair company in our area which took a few days to get scheduled. It is a big job to remove that windshield without cracking it. The seal was replaced and NO LEAKS since (looking for wood to knock on!) Yours may not be under warranty now so may cost a bit to have the seal replaced. I would call Thor and see if they would help with cost but I wouldn't count on it if the warranty has expired. Good luck!
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #9

State: Arizona
THOR #15966
Windshield is falling out!

Hello, I have a 2014 27.1 Thor ACE. I bought it new and it has been an adventure to say the least! My front windshield is falling out! Has anyone else had this issue. I have been told that the chassis flex can cause this especially when you use the automatic levelers. I must say that the auto leveling is rough side to side up front.
Today the company that installed the first window after it cracked is coming out to reset my front window! I just hope that this one stays in or should I say is installed properly!
Anyone else have this problem!

Thank you!
Funpod
Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #6354
I have a 2015 ACE 27.1 and have not had any problems with windshield. I never use the automatic level. Always manual. Never liked how it jumps.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straatc View Post
I have a 2015 ACE 27.1 and have not had any problems with windshield. I never use the automatic level. Always manual. Never liked how it jumps.
Same with my 2016 27.1. Manual level FTW!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote