Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #778
Windsport slide outs

Hello, just signed up here and looking forward to some interesting discussions. We bought a 2013 Windsport 32A last June 2013. Still having trouble with the slides. Do all slides continue to rattle,pop,creak,grown, and in general, make lots of noise when going down the highway? Sure is annoying.
deryld
2013 Windsport 32A

Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Hello and welcome. You might want to check out This thread for some answers/suggestions.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Did your unit come with slide bars/locks?? I have a Miramar 34.2, it has a really long slide, 25+ feet. When my unit arrived at the dealership, there were no slide bars. According to Thor, it should have at least 2 and they should have been in the unit for shipping! The slide bar should prevent a lot of that movement of the slide while in transit.

A word of caution, make sure you remove them before opening the slide, or you will hear a lot of noises as that slide lock destroys your coach!!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

THOR #778
Hi Brian, yes, our unit came with one slide bar. We were told at the dealership (by the person who demonstrated the unit) not to use it because at some time I would forget about it and tear things up. Well, the manager said I should use it and we do. The only problem is that it is up against the outer trim on the inside of the slide and so now that trim board is warping.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

THOR #778
Hi, this may not be the place where I should pose this question but here goes anyway. My onan generator 55KW on a Thor Windsport, 2013, all of a sudden quit running. After changing the fuel filter, air cleaner, oil and oil filter and spark plugs, I still can't get it to start and stay running. Is there a safety switch that needs to be re=ser? Thanks,
Deryl
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 AM   #6

Model: Windsport
State: Ohio
THOR #7197
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryld View Post
Hello, just signed up here and looking forward to some interesting discussions. We bought a 2013 Windsport 32A last June 2013. Still having trouble with the slides. Do all slides continue to rattle,pop,creak,grown, and in general, make lots of noise when going down the highway? Sure is annoying.
deryld
2013 Windsport 32A
Hi I also have a windsport 32a 2012, I got at the end of last season, I have exactly the same noise you seem to be having coming directly behind the drivers seat, top of the slide behind the seat area. I'm hopping it can be siliconed or some thing. Going to have my Dad go for a ride to try and isolate. I'm still amazed how quiet the cab is compared to other companies I test drive. But the creaks, and pops are very annoying!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
I am experiencing occasional outward movement of the slide (about a half inch) on rough winding roads. My coach did not come with any slide lock bars. Can somebody post a picture of what came with yours? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
On my Vegas 24.1 I pretty much eliminated all the squeaks and pops by liberally spraying all the rubber gasket with silicone spray. Do the rubber seals on the inside and outside. As far as movement -- I don't have much because the Vegas 24.1 is a small slide just for the sofa.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
I don't have a picture but my slide lock came in the upper cabinet over the couch. It is a heavy steel piece with two "L" shaped pads at the end. The center section contains a jack screw for expanding the length. It goes at either end of the slide to hold it closed.

Schwintek slide motors have an internal electric brake. That combined with a 350 or 500 :1 planetary reduction gearing should prevent any slide from moving. That said the motor brakes are insufficient to prevent the bed from descending on rough roads; that why the safety pins are provided.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
is there a strong pad on the slide that can support the slide lock, tell me it pushes against something besides the decorative trim. There was no slide lock bar in my coach.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
You can use Pledge furniture polish (recommended by factory service center tech) on all the rubber seals in the coach, works just as well as silicone spray & smells much better. Use the silicone to lube the Schwintech motors & tracks regularly, NEVER use WD40 on motors or tracks or seals, it's a dirt/dust magnet & will harm the seals.
Also may want to sync the slide, run it out & in about 3-4" repeating 3-4 times then extend all the way & continue holding the button for about 5 seconds after motors stop then retract completely & hold button 5 seconds after motors stop. Every time you extend/retract always hold the button 5 seconds after motors stop, this keeps all the motors in sync.
If by chance you have hydraulic slides they will move at the top as there's nothing on the top, all operations/mechanisms are under the slide.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #12

THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
is there a strong pad on the slide that can support the slide lock, tell me it pushes against something besides the decorative trim. There was no slide lock bar in my coach.
Looking at the front end of the slide, there are a couple of substantial angle brackets which appear to be intended as stops when the slide goes out. I am thinking that bracing between one of these and the metal mechanism mount in the wall might be the way to go.

Hopefully just blocking the front end of the slide will suffice as getting to the back end with it retracted requires gymnastics that I am too old to perform on a regular basis.

If I work something out, the plan is to make a Velcro attached red flag for the slide out control panel that I'd keep stuck to the slide lock bar when not in use and stick to the panel when the bar is in place.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #13

THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I don't have a picture but my slide lock came in the upper cabinet over the couch. It is a heavy steel piece with two "L" shaped pads at the end. The center section contains a jack screw for expanding the length. It goes at either end of the slide to hold it closed.

Schwintek slide motors have an internal electric brake. That combined with a 350 or 500 :1 planetary reduction gearing should prevent any slide from moving. That said the motor brakes are insufficient to prevent the bed from descending on rough roads; that why the safety pins are provided.
Do you use the locking bar as a standard operating procedure? We live in the North Georgia mountains and most roads around here are pretty curvy. What I have been doing is checking the slide when I get to flat land and retracting it if it has moved. On normal roads this hasn't been a problem.

Thanks, Tom
Old 06-25-2017, 02:29 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane34F
THOR #7086
After traveling through Wyoming over the last 2 weeks in very high winds 40 to 50+ mph with my slide bar/lock in place which saved me on my 30ft full wall slide I will never travel regardless of the conditions without it on place!!! If it was not in place I am sure the wind would have moved it outward. I will admit it is easy to forget to remove it. I did once. My DW has been assigned to not let my forget to remove it.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdd001 View Post
After traveling through Wyoming over the last 2 weeks in very high winds 40 to 50+ mph with my slide bar/lock in place which saved me on my 30ft full wall slide I will never travel regardless of the conditions without it on place!!! If it was not in place I am sure the wind would have moved it outward. I will admit it is easy to forget to remove it. I did once. My DW has been assigned to not let my forget to remove it.
I put a little label above switch SLIDE BAR

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #16

THOR #2983
Follow up on my previous posts to this topic.

I have added two travel lock bars to my slide: one at the very front of the slide and one as far back as I can reach in the bedroom with the slide retracted. I made a red ribbon flag for each of them and stick the flags with Velcro to the slide control panel when the bars are engaged, and to the bars themselves when they are not engaged.

As another thought, when the slide was working its way out without the bars, it must have been putting some strain on the slide mechanism. All in all, the lock bars seem like cheap insurance for the not overly sturdy LSI slide mechanisms.