Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 03:06 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Accolade 37TS Maiden Voyage

This past weekend we took the Accolade on its maiden voyage. We spent 3 days and 2 nights at the RVacation RV Park in Selma, NC.

We found a couple issues during the shakedown which include:

The door to the coach sticks. The door can be difficult to open and close due to the sticking.
Hot water heater does not work on electric. Works fine on LP
Trim rings around recline buttons on heater seating fell off and one is missing
The dash radio would change from Sirius/XM to FM for no apparent reason.

The stats for the trip were 298.4 miles round trip. I used a little less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

The Accolade towed the Jeep Grand Cherokee at 63 MPH like there was nothing behind it. Not a single road related downshift the entire trip. There are a couple of areas where the Challenger always downshifted one or two gears.

Things we plan to do:

Get a portable step for outside. This coach sits higher than the Challenger so a portable step may be of assistance at times.
Get a wireless wifi enabled smart BluRay player. This will be cheaper than replacing the dumb TV.
Tire valve extensions for the inner duals. This has to be done before I can install my TPMS.

The tings we added on all worked without issue (solar, MobileEye and Winegard Connect 2)

All in all we are extremely happy with the shakedown.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Congrats Dave! I'm happy you got our maiden voyage in and it sounds like a success.. and much like our maiden voyage with our Magnitude and finding some issues that aren't too major.

I recommend this as the extender for your inner tires:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to replace one of the one on the Magnitude out of the gate because it would not allow me to check air pressure or add air. I looked at a bunch and even sent a few back because they were poorly constructed. This one is a little expensive but if it very well made and I have had no issues with it.

I was going to replace the stock one on the other side when I saw how much better this one was but I decided to go with the Cross-Fire System with the option to use my TPMS with it. I've already purchased it and going to install it over the winter or in the spring.

I am also impressed with the F-550 and PowerStroke Diesel on our Magnitude. It just cruises along and never shifts. We have pulled our Spyder on a trailer (about 1700lbs) and could not tell it was there.

My other winter / spring project is to setup our Toad. We just bought a 2018 GMC Canyon Denali w/ the Duramax Diesel to replace our 2013 Silverado. I didn't wanted to replace it for another year or so but it started leaking a lot of oil and I didn't want to put $1500 - $2000 into it with 88K. We knew we would eventually replace it for a Toad and the Canyon or Colorado was on our list. We intended to keep using the Spyder next year and then targeting to buy the Toad in about 18 months when we were going to be getting ready to head west.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to see that it all went pretty darn well.
A couple of small issues that need attention, and you've already got a plan in place: congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That went really well.
I'm going to suggest something we are getting ready to carry full time:

A tube of hand operable (like a toothpaste tube) silicone adhesive.
A hot glue gun.

Both will cure the little rattles and loose trim we always forget about once we've returned home.

The hot glue gun also cures big rattles and will form parts and plugs and fill gaps as needed.

So.
Do think you got lucky?
Or
Did you do a congressional hearing style PDI?
Or
Is your unit indicative of the good quality of those coaches?
Or
Are you an old hand at rv's and are ignoring the things you can live with?

I ask because your trip was about as trouble free of shakedown as I've ever read about.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
The door to the coach sticks. The door can be difficult to open and close due to the sticking.
Hot water heater does not work on electric.

Being fussy with leveling can fix the door. Don't trust the coach. Put a 4' level on the floor just inside the door. Tern it both ways. Also adjusting the striker plate on the door jam. Possibly a file will help.

Water heater will have a circuit breaker in the AC panel. Also if an Atwood it will have a AC switch inside the coach. If a Suburban it will have a AC switch outside behind the vent on the lower left corner. Hard see. Small black sw.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
That went really well.
I'm going to suggest something we are getting ready to carry full time:

A tube of hand operable (like a toothpaste tube) silicone adhesive.
A hot glue gun.

Both will cure the little rattles and loose trim we always forget about once we've returned home.

The hot glue gun also cures big rattles and will form parts and plugs and fill gaps as needed.

So.
Do think you got lucky?
Or
Did you do a congressional hearing style PDI?
Or
Is your unit indicative of the good quality of those coaches?
Or
Are you an old hand at rv's and are ignoring the things you can live with?

I ask because your trip was about as trouble free of shakedown as I've ever read about.
No, I do not think we got lucky. We did a comprehensive walk through (PDI) on the coach and there are a few items that have already been reported for warranty repair and are awaiting parts. These include a mud flap, bed prop, bed trim panel and electric cord reel.

One thing I did not report on was the awning. When I tried extending the awning at the RV Park it would not extend. I believe the awning arms were getting stuck due to being tight and from lack of use. When we got back home and I was verifying my list for talking to the dealer the awning extended and retracted multiple times without issue.

I will say that IMO the quality of this coach is greater than when we bought the Challenger and I thought the quality on that coach was relatively good. On the Challenger's shakedown we did have a slide issue which required a Thor authorized mobile tech.

We have been RV'ing for quite some time, however, I believe when it comes to a new RV purchase we do not overlook anything, big or small. The DW and myself were slightly amazed at how well the trip went because it was also the first good tow we got in on the Jeep after the InvisiBrake issues. We were able to get out and enjoy the weekend rather than fix things that we found during the shakedown.

I would recommend anyone in search of a 37 foot motor home to look at the Accolade or Seneca Super C. I believe Jayco is doing a pretty good job putting these things together and the Freightliner S2RV chassis so far is great.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
After hearing so many "horror stories": it's really nice to hear some pretty good news!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Hot water heater does not work on electric.

Being fussy with leveling can fix the door. Don't trust the coach. Put a 4' level on the floor just inside the door. Tern it both ways. Also adjusting the striker plate on the door jam. Possibly a file will help.

Water heater will have a circuit breaker in the AC panel. Also if an Atwood it will have a AC switch inside the coach. If a Suburban it will have a AC switch outside behind the vent on the lower left corner. Hard see. Small black sw.
Leveling is something I need to re-calibrate. I was perfectly level before the slide went out and then after extending the large dinette slide I was off by a degree. I didn't thing about that and the door being related but it is possible.

The water heater switches are on the VegaTouch pad and the mobile app on my iPhone. I am going to recheck the circuit breakers because it is possible I missed something. The water heater worked fine on LP so we had hot water during the trip.

Thanks.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Received an email response from the dealer's service adviser today. All of the ordered parts except the bracket and prop for the bed are in. Jayco is sending the bracket and prop this week. Since I have some upcoming business related travel we are going to schedule an appointment for December 19 to have the work complete.

When I take it in for these repairs I'll talk to them about the issues from the shakedown.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-20-2019, 12:42 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Coach went in for warranty service today. The dealer:

Replaced the 50 amp power cord reel
Replaced 2 sections of paneling on the bed that they damaged during the PDI
Replaced the bed prop
Reinstalled one trim ring on recline button for the theater seat

Outside of the warranty I had them install tire valve stem extensions in the inside duals and rotate the valve stems on the outside duals so they no longer point in.

Still to be done are

Glide strip for the bed. Either the dealer ordered the wrong part or Jayco sent the wrong part for this item.
Leatherette on couch flaking. The dealer needs to get with their upholstery contractor to check this out.
Electric side of the hot water heater not working. This is recorded but deferred until the coach is de-winterized. It cannot be verified or checked with the hot water tank empty.

I arrived there at 8:45 this morning and pulled out with the coach at 4:45 this afternoon. They provided the sandwiches and coffee for lunch.
FMCA - F432054