Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16986
Sue them !

Old 10-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #22
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
If you read these forums long enough you will find there are posters on here that believe we should accept the poor quality of Thor products since they are entry level coaches. These posters don't believe that Thor has any responsibility to deliver a product free of known defects since the purchaser can always drive the coach to the factory to get it fixed.
Actually I think most believe (and certainly I have posted) that quality is an INDUSTRY problem... From Axis/Vega/Ace up to Aria/Venetian/Tuscany... From Thor to Newmar or Prevost.
We also tend to read/see more of the complaints - as those with no issues typically don't post 'hi - everything is fine'.. (other than in response to complaint threads.).

While many try to compare to the auto industry - perhaps a more valid comparison is to the new home industry. Anyone bought a new home and NOT had a large punch list of things the contractor had to come back and fix?? (likely some - but...) These are houses on wheels - like a house subjected to an earthquake as we drive down our wonderful roads.

By no means an excuse for some of the obvious poor initial quality items some have seen - but trying to put in perspective...
Reality is the industry is building what people are willing to buy... at the price point they are willing to pay. Until something disrupts that - there is little incentive for them to change to model... (though Thor indicates they have taken steps to improve quality recently - we'll see where it leads.)

For new people looking to buy an RV - to me I want to see them go into this with eyes open - what to look for - what to prepare for - and make an informed decision.
You can choose to buy an RV - do a thorough PDI with a good dealer and expect there will be some issues over time...
Or choose not to - and spend your money elsewhere.

Its not a matter of thinking we should accept poor quality - it is more recognizing the realities in the industry...
Hopefully the advantages of owning an RV outweigh any of the issues.
For me/us - they do and have...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
I wonder if first-time buyers shouldn't hire someone to do an official PDI for them? And then sit back and wait for the dealer to fix what ain't right before paying one red cent.

Probably be much cheaper in the long run, considering all the found issues would be repaired prior to picking up the coach, thus eliminating the frustration, time and money spent on driving back/forth to the dealer "after" the sale.

I've bought several boats and always had them surveyed (and repaired) prior to writing a check. Dealers are always more motivated to fix stuff before they are paid than after. Funny how that works...
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #24

Model: Aria 3601
State: Virginia
THOR #2487
We had several issues with our Aria 3601. Atlantic RV in Culpeper worked with us and Thor to get the warranty work done since we weren't going back to Camping World after three failed attempts. Highly recommend contacting them.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Hey Rev thats a $180,000 coach on sale. Entry level? I don't think thats the case.
I believe Rev's point is that if you drop a nickle or drop a dime there are going to be issues.

In my case the biggest issue is with the incompetence of the dealer in repairing a punch list item. Yes, the prop was not secure during the walk through but the manner in which it was secured and the damage caused as a result of the so called repair is an "I D ten T" error.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #26

State: Illinois
THOR #1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
For those that might be interested:

Bought an Entegra Accolade 37TS from General RV in Ashland, VA. The process became a nightmare when we requested Solar, Winegard Connect 2, Maxx Air vent cover, and Mobile Eye as add-ons.

Come PDI day we showed up and the coach was not ready. We walked away without signing the papers after doing the PDI. General RV was willing to work through some issues and a follow-up PDI was scheduled.

During the initial PDI one of the items found was the prop for the bed was not connected to the base of the bed so it would not hold the bed in the raised (open position). A couple of days after we walked away we were told all PDI items were corrected.

When we "re-walked" the coach we found this damage that was not present during the initial PDI.

Attachment 20831

General RV said they would order the parts and let us know when they come in. After getting the coach home I went to extend and retract the bedroom slide and it sounded that something was being torn apart. When I investigated I found this:

Attachment 20832 (sorry the picture is 90 degrees CCW)

General RV had mounted the bed prop bracket in such a manner that it was lower that the bed platform and every time the slide was extended or retracted it would act like a hook or extremely dull saw blade and start tearing things apart. It is even beginning to remove the wood panel holding the breaker panel.

The dealership has not responded regarding this issue. General RV Customer Care says they understand our concern about reliable service and we can use any dealer we want but we need to confirm they accept our warranty.

Now what do you think about that?
Don't do it. Don't waste your time. Make a complaint to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) Phase your complaint as a SAFETY issue. Driving with the slide where it can not close properly is a safety issue. A dealership can not put a RV on the road that is not safe to drive.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #27

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
General RV Ashland VA damaged our coach

The jury is still out for me on General RV in Canton, OH.

I have come to the conclusion they did not go over the coach or prep it prior to my PDI.

During the PDI we found the following issues:

- Flexible drain hose from kitchen sink was pulled out of the grey tank fitting
- House batteries were not charging
- Awning fabric had a hole in it
- Retractable sun shade next to dinette was damaged

They claimed to fix the flexible hose (their claim was it was a bit short from the factory and pulled out when the slide moved). When we got home to sterilize the fresh water tank, it was leaking again. when I opened up the access panel I saw they screwed a hose clamp to the slide floor when the hose is stationary when the slide floor moves. As soon as the slide move it ripped the hose right out of the grey tank fitting again. I ended up fixing it the right way.

They were going to replace the house batteries but I told them to check the Converter because the batteries were only 9 months old. They said it was a fuse and I was good to go. When I got home the house batteries were still not charging. After troubleshooting I found the two fuses on the back of the Converter were so loose they would barely make contact. I pulled the WFCO Converter and installed a better Progressive Dynamics Converter.

While we were hooked up to water at the house, we started seeing more water in the coach. Best I can tell is that it looks to be coming from the back of the fridge.... probably the ice maker line but I don't think I am going to deal with pulling the fridge out. For now we are using the fresh water tank and keeping the pump off when not using water.

I sent them an e-mail with my displeasure after all of the above.... but then I was really set off this week.

I decided to install my TPMS and when I started checking the tire pressures they were all 35 - 40% too low in the 65 - 68 PSI range. And I know they never checked the tire pressures before handing me over the coach because the stainless steel line on the passenger side won't allow me to check or add air to the inside tire. I am going to have to pull the outer wheel to deal with it.

The service manager got a very stern e-mail from me after finding they let me drive over 100 miles home on very under inflated tires and their complete lack of prepping and checking the coach.

I still need to take it back to the dealer to have the Theater Seats installed we negotiated during our deal and the awning and sun shade replaced. I am trying to decide if I will give them another chance or I will just be taking it to Wakarusa at this point. We had an appointment in November for our Outlaw that we traded in and Thor said I could use the appointment for my Magnitude.

I am convinced it doesn't matter who the dealer is.... they do not have enough qualified, properly trained and experienced service personnel and they don't work enough on any particular model to become experts with all their employee turnover.

I hate to do a 12 hour round trip to Wakarusa but at least I know they are experts and all they do is fix Thor coaches.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #28

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
I wonder if first-time buyers shouldn't hire someone to do an official PDI for them? And then sit back and wait for the dealer to fix what ain't right before paying one red cent.

Probably be much cheaper in the long run, considering all the found issues would be repaired prior to picking up the coach, thus eliminating the frustration, time and money spent on driving back/forth to the dealer "after" the sale.

I've bought several boats and always had them surveyed (and repaired) prior to writing a check. Dealers are always more motivated to fix stuff before they are paid than after. Funny how that works...

Great scenario but the problem is 1st time buyers have no clue to the common issues people have, what to look for when doing a PDI and trusting the dealers to do what they say. It's only after the sale, when problems arise...they start looking around for help and discover forums, etc. If there was a booth at all RV shows titled..."First Time Buyer 101", it might help.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Hey Rev thats a $180,000 coach on sale. Entry level? I don't think thats the case.
Yes! That's the whole point! If you own a Provost everything is Entry level!!! It's all relative and I according to this forum. I Own Entry level. Even though I have the means of buying anything I want.... just look out your back window where I live. As for me doing better PDI? I have been repairing and driving Motorhomes and trailers since I was 14. You buy a Ford F250 and I buy a Ford Focus should I expect lousy build quality because Cheaper $$ wise? You would think after Thor building THOUSANDS of units they would now have the "build" under control? Everyone when winterizing remember to winterize the water out of your backup brake lights...... see you on the road
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duglyn View Post
That wasn't very nice. A lot of us have "entry level" coaches. Not all of are Bill Gates and Co.
Crazy after 5 post your already rippin on me because I'm "Entry Level" and you Had enough $$ buying a Thor Hurricane 29M Elite Model. Welcome to the Forum from NW. INDIANA!
...Indiana rated #1 Again!! Best & Smoothest traveling roads in America 2019.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #31

THOR #12751
General RV Ashland VA damaged our coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Yes! That's the whole point! If you own a Provost everything is Entry level!!! It's all relative and I according to this forum. I Own Entry level. Even though I have the means of buying anything I want.... just look out your back window where I live. As for me doing better PDI? I have been repairing and driving Motorhomes and trailers since I was 14. You buy a Ford F250 and I buy a Ford Focus should I expect lousy build quality because Cheaper $$ wise? You would think after Thor building THOUSANDS of units they would now have the "build" under control? Everyone when winterizing remember to winterize the water out of your backup brake lights...... see you on the road

Amen! Well said......

I’m in a situation where I have worked, saved and invested to have some toys and retire early in a couple years.

I spent $80K on my first brand new coach and while it was not considered top of the line, I expected quality and solid service / support.l because $80K is still real money.

I learned a lot with the first coach..... not just about the coach but the industry, lifestyle, and expectations.

Then I spend $160K on my next brand new coach. Call it entry level for a Super C if you want but why should I expect things not to be right from the factory and that the dealer will be competent?

I mentioned expectations earlier. I have learned to lower my expectations with RV’s and RV dealers so as not to be too disappointed when (not if) things go wrong.

I will say this about Thor...... with my 2018 Outlaw 29H and now the 2020 Magnitude SV34..... Thor Customer Service out of Indiana has been outstanding!!!

Everyone I have dealt with has tried to be as helpful and understanding as possible. On numerous occasions they have sent me parts so I could fix warranty issues myself and they even reimbursed me for a part I bought myself.

I am convinced an outstanding RV Dealer is very hard to find, regardless of the brand you buy. I am also convinced that quality control with almost any brand is marginal at best.

I will stick with Thor because their customer service at HQ has met or even exceeded my expectations now with two new coach purchases. That is worth a lot to me.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #32

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
^^Boom^^ Sums it up!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #33
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Amen! Well said......

I’m in a situation where I have worked, saved and invested to have some toys and retire early in a couple years.

I spent $80K on my first brand new coach and while it was not considered top of the line, I expected quality and solid service / support.l because $80K is still real money.

I learned a lot with the first coach..... not just about the coach but the industry, lifestyle, and expectations.

Then I spend $160K on my next brand new coach. Call it entry level for a Super C if you want but why should I expect things not to be right from the factory and that the dealer will be competent?

I mentioned expectations earlier. I have learned to lower my expectations with RV’s and RV dealers so as not to be too disappointed when (not if) things go wrong.

I will say this about Thor...... with my 2018 Outlaw 29H and now the 2020 Magnitude SV34..... Thor Customer Service out of Indiana has been outstanding!!!

Everyone I have dealt with has tried to be as helpful and understanding as possible. On numerous occasions they have sent me parts so I could fix warranty issues myself and they even reimbursed me for a part I bought myself.

I am convinced an outstanding RV Dealer is very hard to find, regardless of the brand you buy. I am also convinced that quality control with almost any brand is marginal at best.

I will stick with Thor because their customer service at HQ has met or even exceeded my expectations now with two new coach purchases. That is worth a lot to me.
Judge,

If you haven't done so send an email to Amber Gorski (agorski@generalrv.com) at General RV. She is a "Customer Care" rep at General RVs HQ. When we contacted her I got a phone call from the local Ops Manager with the 'you contacted corporate' comment.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #34

THOR #12751
Quote:
Judge,

If you haven't done so send an email to Amber Gorski (agorski@generalrv.com) at General RV. She is a "Customer Care" rep at General RVs HQ. When we contacted her I got a phone call from the local Ops Manager with the 'you contacted corporate' comment.

Thanks for the name and email!

I had already told General RV my steps were going to be contacting their corporate HQ and Thor HQ.

So far the service manager has been very responsive after that.

That being said..... I’m 95% sure I am just going to head to Wakarusa to have the open issues addressed and then back to General RV only to have the Theater Seats installed.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
dstankov,
Good luck with tomorrow's appointment!
Let's hope that they start your weekend on the right foot!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7074
Cool little shop not far from Thor Walkarussa Service Center. They also own a Craft Beer Pub close by this shop.

https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/
Old 10-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #37
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
dstankov,
Good luck with tomorrow's appointment!
Let's hope that they start your weekend on the right foot!
I have the Jayco Customer Service rep's direct number set as a favorite on my iPhone for tomorrow. I will call them from the dealer if I must.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Cool little shop not far from Thor Walkarussa Service Center. They also own a Craft Beer Pub close by this shop.

https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/
Thanks. I'll have to see how far it is from Middlebury (Jayco) to Walkarussa. I have a 2 week appointment with Jayco Factory Service in Middlebury beginning April 28.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I have the Jayco Customer Service rep's direct number set as a favorite on my iPhone for tomorrow. I will call them from the dealer if I must.
That's a good number to have: but I hope that you don't have to use it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #40
Site Team

THOR #1469
Update

Took the coach in today and they admitted that they re-positioned the prop bracket wrong and that resulted in the damage to the paneling and trim on the bed's base. They removed the prop bracket and it is disconnected until parts are received.

Also, during this visit they:
  • Replaced a front clearance light bulb
  • Secured the passenger side front rear mudflap and ordered a replacement flap
  • Secured a driver's door seal and ordered a replacement seal
  • Replaced the coach door seal (they found this problem without my attention)
  • Adjusted 2 drawer latches so the drawers stay closed while driving
  • Diagnosed and ordered a new electric cable reel

All-in-all it was a pleasant visit with the service adviser being professional and keeping me informed of the progress along the way.

According to the service adviser it will be about 2 weeks for parts to come in.

It appears the key to dealing with this dealer is to avoid sales and delivery prep and talk to the service and parts folks. I also noticed they have a little sign in their waiting room that says they will ship any non camping critical parts to the owner for self installation. Might have to try this in the future.

Now I need to pin point a rattle while driving. I have a suspicion it is the passenger's side mirror but not certain.
FMCA - F432054