Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
F-550 and Thor Magnitude SV34 4x4 Feedback

Looking a year or two down the road, my wife and I are considering upgrading from our 2018 Outlaw 29H to the 4x4 Magnitude SV34 and spending a few months a year on the road.

I know it is a new coach and probably not too many owners yet but just looking for some feedback on the following topics:

1) F-550 Handling and Ride Quality - I spent about $2000 and 12 hours installing heavy duty sway bars, sumo springs and steering stabilizer to get the handling and ride quality of my E-450 reasonable. Trying to find out whether I will need to do the same thing for the F-550. I'm hoping that's not the case given the F-550 is a larger chassis and designed for heavy weight but the Magnitude adds about 4000lbs as well.

2) Fit, Finish and Overall Quality - Had several issues with my Outlaw 29H that needed to be addressed under warranty or on my own. The issues included water leaks, a leveler issue, a floor issue, water heater issue among others. I've spent about 100 hours and $5000 in fixing issues, improvements and upgrades.

3) Overall impressions of the coach inside and out as well as pros and cons.

We're looking at three Super C's in our price range. The Thor Magnitude SV34 is one. The Jayco Seneca is the second. The Dynamax Force HD 34KD is the third.

The Magnitude is best for our budget but we do like the floor plan and 4x4 option. We hope to do a walkthrough of one soon.

The Jayco Seneca is next from a budget perspective. We walked through a couple a few weeks ago. The Freightliner chassis looks amazing the Jayco did not look bad.

The Dynamax Force HD 34KD is the most expensive of the three. We walked through one and it is very nice on a Freightliner chassis as well.

The Magnitude looks good on paper and in pictures but nothing replaces real world experiences and feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-23-2019, 11:40 PM   #2

State: Arizona
THOR #14192
Why aren’t you looking at Dynamax isata 5, it is closer in comparison to the magnitude? Just curious, I too am looking at these models.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #3

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
Why aren’t you looking at Dynamax isata 5, it is closer in comparison to the magnitude? Just curious, I too am looking at these models.
Frankly.... the look of the Isata 5 doesn't do much for me. I can't say I have walked through one but the floor plan online doesn't grab me either since there is only 1 king bed option and I also can't say that I'm a Dodge guy.

Not a very quantitative answer..... but the Magnitude, Seneca and Force all have a similar look and feel to them.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:54 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
F-550 and Thor Magnitude SV34 4x4 Feedback

Doesn't the Seneca let you sit a little higher? Kind of like it more than the Thor Super Cs.

Storage bays bigger too?
Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
Doesn't the Seneca let you sit a little higher? Kind of like it more than the Thor Super Cs.

Storage bays bigger too?
We are in the process of buying an Entegra Accolade 37TS which is the cousin of the Seneca 37TS. At the time we decided we sat in a Magnitude SV34 and then looked at the Accolade. The Accolade won hands down. Yes you sit higher in the Accolade/Seneca on the Frieghtliner S2RV chassis. The Seneca/Accolade has air brakes, rear air suspension, heavy duty sway bars and shocks. I did a 25 mile test drive city and interstate and it beat the hell out of the Challenger.

For me one of the deal breakers was the CCC of the Magnitude vs the Accolade/Seneca. The Magnitude is roughly 1700 lbs whereas the Accolade is 4800 lbs with a 12K towing capacity and hitch. It dosen't hurt knowing the Accolade/Seneca also has a 2 year warranty.

One of the issues I read about the Isata 5 is that it is close to the gross axle weight on one axle with no load. I didn't research too much because the one we sat in looked and felt cheap. Also, my experience with Forest River (prior class c) isn't stellar so that was a strike against them going in.

We are scheduled to take delivery of the Accolade on Saturday. Right now the dealer is installing

Mobile Eye
Winegard Connect 2 WiFi and 4G LTE
Wind Sensor for the awning
360KW Solar panels with 720KW Solar Controller

Click image for larger version

Name:	Entegra.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	20449
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
We are in the process of buying an Entegra Accolade 37TS which is the cousin of the Seneca 37TS. At the time we decided we sat in a Magnitude SV34 and then looked at the Accolade. The Accolade won hands down. Yes you sit higher in the Accolade/Seneca on the Frieghtliner S2RV chassis. The Seneca/Accolade has air brakes, rear air suspension, heavy duty sway bars and shocks. I did a 25 mile test drive city and interstate and it beat the hell out of the Challenger.

For me one of the deal breakers was the CCC of the Magnitude vs the Accolade/Seneca. The Magnitude is roughly 1700 lbs whereas the Accolade is 4800 lbs with a 12K towing capacity and hitch. It dosen't hurt knowing the Accolade/Seneca also has a 2 year warranty.

One of the issues I read about the Isata 5 is that it is close to the gross axle weight on one axle with no load. I didn't research too much because the one we sat in looked and felt cheap. Also, my experience with Forest River (prior class c) isn't stellar so that was a strike against them going in.

We are scheduled to take delivery of the Accolade on Saturday. Right now the dealer is installing

Mobile Eye
Winegard Connect 2 WiFi and 4G LTE
Wind Sensor for the awning
360KW Solar panels with 720KW Solar Controller

Attachment 20449
Please let us know more feedback once you take delivery. The Accolade was not on my radar but now I may start looking into it.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I really like mine. Any of the MH's that have a true, commercial truck cab and chassis with diesel power should similar. If you sort through the issues most people have, the problems with the "carpenter built" truck cab part of the coach leads the list. Second are the complaints of roaring noise, excessive heat and lack of power at a decent RPM range. Having to climb a mountain at 4500RPM sitting next to a furnace isn't pleasant. You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on suspension modifications to make it perform properly. The F550 is whisper quiet, holds speed on hills at 2100RPM...and requires zero handling modifications. I've yet to have it downshift a single time. I run at 64MPH on cruise and can talk to guest on the sofa at highway speed. Another biggie...the dash A/C is such quality, it keeps the entire coach cool while traveling without having to run generator and roof top units. It's a luxury HD pickup cab with a motorhome body behind it. The Super C's are built in Plant 250, which is the newest Plant in Wakarusa. For the amount of money you are spending, I would go tour the plants of the models on your list. Sheer volume of manufacturing in a single plant has a lot to do with expected quality issues. There's lots of different threads and post here....do a search on "Super C" or "Ford F550" and you'll get quite a bit of good reading. In reality....the configuration on the Class A is by far, the best layout still today. If they could figure out how to build an A Class on one of these "diesel puller" chassis', that model would take over.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I really like mine. Any of the MH's that have a true, commercial truck cab and chassis with diesel power should similar. If you sort through the issues most people have, the problems with the "carpenter built" truck cab part of the coach leads the list. Second are the complaints of roaring noise, excessive heat and lack of power at a decent RPM range. Having to climb a mountain at 4500RPM sitting next to a furnace isn't pleasant. You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on suspension modifications to make it perform properly. The F550 is whisper quiet, holds speed on hills at 2100RPM...and requires zero handling modifications. I've yet to have it downshift a single time. I run at 64MPH on cruise and can talk to guest on the sofa at highway speed. Another biggie...the dash A/C is such quality, it keeps the entire coach cool while traveling without having to run generator and roof top units. It's a luxury HD pickup cab with a motorhome body behind it. The Super C's are built in Plant 250, which is the newest Plant in Wakarusa. For the amount of money you are spending, I would go tour the plants of the models on your list. Sheer volume of manufacturing in a single plant has a lot to do with expected quality issues. There's lots of different threads and post here....do a search on "Super C" or "Ford F550" and you'll get quite a bit of good reading. In reality....the configuration on the Class A is by far, the best layout still today. If they could figure out how to build an A Class on one of these "diesel puller" chassis', that model would take over.
Thanks for the information Gritz! Much appreciated.

I know you have posted many good things about Plant 250 in the past. I am taking my Outlaw to the Thor Service Center in early November (still waiting for final confirmation) but I thought about visiting that plant while I am out there waiting for my coach to have some items fixed.

It is reassuring to hear that the F550 is powerful, quiet and handles and rides well. As I understand it the front and rear caps are a fiberglass mold of some type so hopefully that eliminates the issues when carpenter built enclosures are used.

Unless I got a deal I could not pass up right now, I would not purchase one for another 12 - 18 months so that also lets Thor work out any kinks from the 2020 Magnitude SV34 4x4 model... or perhaps I will find a good deal on a left-over (as was the case with my 29H) at that time.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #9

THOR #11130
When I was there in December they were not doing tours of the (brand new) Plant 250. Maybe they are now, but I met an inside sales guy during the other 2 tours that found out I was there with a Super C for warranty work and he agreed to take my daughter and I through 250 the next morning...quite the personal tour. We were able to walk the line and talk with the guys while assembling. Most impressive was the QC at the end of the line. I found everyone at Thor to be outstandingly friendly and eager to help any way they could. A lot of things they discover on this forum and at the service center actually do get back to the production people. This Forum makes a difference!! Hopefully someday there will be better integration between dealer service commitment and Thor.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
When I was there in December they were not doing tours of the (brand new) Plant 250. Maybe they are now, but I met an inside sales guy during the other 2 tours that found out I was there with a Super C for warranty work and he agreed to take my daughter and I through 250 the next morning...quite the personal tour. We were able to walk the line and talk with the guys while assembling. Most impressive was the QC at the end of the line. I found everyone at Thor to be outstandingly friendly and eager to help any way they could. A lot of things they discover on this forum and at the service center actually do get back to the production people. This Forum makes a difference!! Hopefully someday there will be better integration between dealer service commitment and Thor.
Thanks again Gritz!

You are very reassuring and provide valuable input for us considering a Thor Super C.

I started this post after I stumbled across this person starting a class action suit against Thor and the Omni / Magnitude are at the center of it. I'm sure he makes it sound worse than it really is because he is looking for people to add to his class action suit

https://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/...980211812.html

I trust people's opinions and feedback on this Forum more than I do anywhere else because I have solved problems based on the valuable information people provide on this Forum (and I have tried to return the favor).

I have to admit I was first disappointed when I purchased my 2018 Outlaw 29H and had several issues.... some widely identified by other owners. After I took the emotion out of it I got to work solving the problems and have enjoyed the coach. Granted I think it is a shame we spend a lot of money and have to accept a new coach can be far from perfect and have to spend more money to get it "right" but I can't say I ever thought of a lawsuit. Some of the things this guy reports are things I have dealt with so I think he is taking it to an extreme.

I am still high on the Magnitude at this point and I hope to drive out to a dealer tomorrow about 90 minutes away so I can walk through one and rule it or out for sure.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks again Gritz!

You are very reassuring and provide valuable input for us considering a Thor Super C.

I started this post after I stumbled across this person starting a class action suit against Thor and the Omni / Magnitude are at the center of it. I'm sure he makes it sound worse than it really is because he is looking for people to add to his class action suit

https://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/...980211812.html

I trust people's opinions and feedback on this Forum more than I do anywhere else because I have solved problems based on the valuable information people provide on this Forum (and I have tried to return the favor).

I have to admit I was first disappointed when I purchased my 2018 Outlaw 29H and had several issues.... some widely identified by other owners. After I took the emotion out of it I got to work solving the problems and have enjoyed the coach. Granted I think it is a shame we spend a lot of money and have to accept a new coach can be far from perfect and have to spend more money to get it "right" but I can't say I ever thought of a lawsuit. Some of the things this guy reports are things I have dealt with so I think he is taking it to an extreme.

I am still high on the Magnitude at this point and I hope to drive out to a dealer tomorrow about 90 minutes away so I can walk through one and rule it or out for sure.
Reading the individuals complaints it seems they should have done a better PDI or walked away.

Judge, if possible, find a dealer that has a Magnitude/Omni and a Seneca/Accolade on the lot at the same time. The perspective is different when you can sit in both during the same visit. When did 3 visits. The first was Magnitude only. The second was Magnitude, Accolade, Holiday Rambler (DP) with 25 mile test drives of the Magnitude and Accolade. The third visit was Accolade only to confirm our decision.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Reading the individuals complaints it seems they should have done a better PDI or walked away.

Judge, if possible, find a dealer that has a Magnitude/Omni and a Seneca/Accolade on the lot at the same time. The perspective is different when you can sit in both during the same visit. When did 3 visits. The first was Magnitude only. The second was Magnitude, Accolade, Holiday Rambler (DP) with 25 mile test drives of the Magnitude and Accolade. The third visit was Accolade only to confirm our decision.
Good advice Dave!

I was able to look at the Dynamax Force, Jayco Seneca and a couple Renegade models all at the same time a few weeks ago. Trying to find a single dealer that has every model you are considering can be a challenge but I agree it is the best way to go if you can pull it off!.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #13

THOR #11130
There's always a 3rd side of every story and it's generally more accurate than the first 2. For every "him", there are thousands of "us".

You need to be careful...you said 1 to 1 1/2 years out and you're heading out tomorrow??? Either way, it's best to buy one a year ahead of time...it gets you up close and personal to everything. What dealer are you going to?
Old 09-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
There's always a 3rd side of every story and it's generally more accurate than the first 2. For every "him", there are thousands of "us".

You need to be careful...you said 1 to 1 1/2 years out and you're heading out tomorrow??? Either way, it's best to buy one a year ahead of time...it gets you up close and personal to everything. What dealer are you going to?
Possibly heading out to General RV in Canton, OH since they have a Magnitude SV34 4x4 at the moment. My goal is to get the floor plan, make and model narrowed down in the next few months and then find her.

We spent time at North Trail RV in Fort Myers, FL a few weeks ago going through several Super C's so we have begun the process. They were a very impressive dealership with over $100,000,000 in inventory. They sell Thor but the sales rep told me they dumped offering the Thor Super C after having too many issues with Thor. That was a little disconcerting to hear.

We're taking a little different approach this time around than we did for our first MH as we looked at a used Outlaw 29H locally and then purchased a left-over at a dealer 6 hours away.... all within about a month's time. We are enjoying the 29H and have no major regrets.

We originally were planning to retire early in 4 years but recently decided to retire in 2 years... life is too short... so our needs and goals are going to be changing sooner than we thought.

I do agree with you about getting it a year ahead of time and working out the kinks and figuring out the most efficient use of space, etc. I am in the process of building a pole building to house my current MH and the potential of a Super C in the next 12 - 18 months so I am spending some capital on that at the moment (and I am building it large enough to handle a Super C).

I also am going to need to move to a Toad, which I need to plan for as well. Currently we put our Spyder in the Outlaw garage and use that as our transportation when we get to our destination but when we start heading out for months at a time, I've convinced the DW it needs to be a 4-wheel vehicle of some sort.

We're also going to need to purge a couple toys as well as sell a vehicle and purchase something that would be our Toad.

By the time I get the garage finished, sell and buy some things, 12 month will fly by and it will be time to sell the 29H and move to the Super C.

This time around I want to walk through a few models and then really determine what will work for us from a budget, floor plan and reliability perspective so we can spend 3 - 4 months in the MH on the road each year..... 4- 6 months in Florida.... and 2 or 3 months catching up with the family in PA.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I also like the opposing slide outs in the living area on the ENTEGRA ACCOLADE 37TS. That really opens up the living room makes huge difference.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
I also like the opposing slide outs in the living area on the ENTEGRA ACCOLADE 37TS. That really opens up the living room makes huge difference.
That is what sold us after sitting in both. The Magnitude for us felt small and cramped. Since we have opposing wall slides in the Challenger we are used to the wide open space and that wasn't available on the Magnitude.

One other item is the "King" bed. Thor lists a King as 72 x 76 whereas the Accolade "King" is 72 x 80. Being right at 6 feet tall and using a pillow my feet often times were over the end of the bed in the Challenger. Alright for a few days but not for a few weeks.

Little things matter a lot after time.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #17

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
My wife and I really liked the opposing slides on the Hurricane 31Z. It’s a Thor so we have had some issues but when you travel with thee Irish Setters you need that open area. We are now looking at the Tiffin, Newmar and Nexus DP in the 34’ with opposing slides front and back. Really nice.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Opposing slides are the deal breaker in next rig. Must have.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Judge,
And here I was: secure in my belief that you were happily "modificating" your 29-H to make it perfect...

Happy Shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:54 AM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #12609
We have th Magnitude BH35 and it is my favorite out of the four MHs we have owned. I second all Gritz said about the F550: all the power you need. Went up and down the Rockies with no downshifting and steady 65 mph, that was a joy.

The Thor coach had its issues, particularly since it was apparently an early production model and bugs were present. I think my experiences furnished Thor the impetus to make some needed changes, at least that is what my dealer old me.

The one saving grace is that my dealer took care of all the problems I found, more than 70 (yikes! But it was an early model) and not in months but weeks, so I never lost real "road time". The dealer specializes in Super C's and really focuses on his customers. Whatever you get, really make, sure of your dealer and their service results. You ARE going to be using service, particularly in the first year.

Good luck and choose carefully.