Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #16072
Electrical/Battery problem

2015 Thor Four winds 31L, bought it at 1 year old.

Can't get the house battery(s) to turn on. Both batteries are good and have 12.6V. The relay doesn't click (thunk) at all and the gen starter also will not engage - not even a click. Even when I click the gen starter switch down the fuel pump does not run. I'm guessing there is some sort of inline fuse/breaker but I can't find it. All the fuses at the panel and under the bed are good.

Everything works fine on shore power but the gen starter still won't crank.
It first acted up on the road after I tried to start the gen and when we plugged into shore power the battery relay did turn off (thunk) once but would not re-engage.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Have you checked the 50/100 amp breaker on the left side on the inside of the battery box?

If the "flag" on the breaker is "thrown" try resetting the breaker...
Old 07-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #3

THOR #16072
I didn't see anything in the battery box. Nothing obvious anyway. My batteries don't have an actual "box", they just sit on a rack under the entry stairs.

I will look again in the morning (working late tonight).
Old 07-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydivemark View Post
I didn't see anything in the battery box. Nothing obvious anyway. My batteries don't have an actual "box", they just sit on a rack under the entry stairs.

That's what I was referring to as a "battery box"... Most THORS I have seen have a breaker in there on the side next to the left battery..

But, I have also found that nothing ever seems uniform in the world of RVs
Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:

Mine sat the same way...
crawl up under the rig right next to your stairwell. the electrics might be mounted on the sidewall...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #6

THOR #16072
Thanks Mo-mike & Bob. I hope to have time to crawl under there tomorrow am or definitely Tue. (Working late tonight).
I will update my findings.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

THOR #16072
Didn't see anything that looked resettable. Only the junction terminal where the positive wires come together. I got a picture of it but not sure how to upload it here.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

THOR #16072
May have figured how to attach a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190722_100942341.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	19112  
Old 07-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
That cable connection point is typically viewable with the step cover open. The breakers (I have three of them) are on the outside of the battery box.

You have to lay on your back under the rig and they are attached to the battery compartment opposite side of that connector on my Class C Outlaw.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #10

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Mark, I have taken some pics on my Vegas, just in case yours is in the same place. This breaker has already tripped twice on mine. Hope this helps.

tim

Old 07-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #11

THOR #16072
I've opened the step and looked under it plus crawled under and don't see anything even similar to that anywhere in the vicinity of the battery box/rack.
The pic was taken from underneath.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #12

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
We just went through another thread about finding that breaker. The coach was a different model, but it seems that when they build these units, someone different decides where to put each component and its wiring and each becomes unique. He found his breaker inside the BCC (Battery Control Center) box. It is a small black box measuring approx. 10"x10"x6" and has been found close to the coach batterries as well as under the front hood. Best way to find it is to follow the red ( positive) lead from the coach battery. The breaker is normally in line with that lead before you get to the BCC. On the last thread the breaker was actually found INSIDE the BCC. It may look like the one posted in the above photo or it may be all black, making the reset button hard to find. Let us know what you find, too, please.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
We just went through another thread about finding that breaker. The coach was a different model, but it seems that when they build these units, someone different decides where to put each component and its wiring and each becomes unique. He found his breaker inside the BCC (Battery Control Center) box. It is a small black box measuring approx. 10"x10"x6" and has been found close to the coach batterries as well as under the front hood. Best way to find it is to follow the red ( positive) lead from the coach battery. The breaker is normally in line with that lead before you get to the BCC. On the last thread the breaker was actually found INSIDE the BCC. It may look like the one posted in the above photo or it may be all black, making the reset button hard to find. Let us know what you find, too, please.
Or RED or Yellow.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #14

THOR #16072
I started to trace the wires. From the terminal they go up over the heat shield above the engine exhaust pipe.
I will have to put the coach up a few inches or more on jack stands so I have a little more room to crawl around under it.
Another long day at work today but then have a couple days off to begin the adventure.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #15

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Mark, I have taken some pics on my Vegas, just in case yours is in the same place. This breaker has already tripped twice on mine. Hope this helps.

tim

Looks like you have two breakers there. The blue 100 amp breaker and above it a yellow 50 amp breaker.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #16

THOR #16072
I've crawled around underneath and can't find anything. Also looked under the hood and nothing there either.
Guess now to find a ph number for Thor and ask them where the breaker is, - I'm sure that will be fun!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #17

THOR #16072
Well, calling thor was pretty much a waste of time. The guy argued with me and said the breaker is definitely in the battery box. I'd sure like him to point it out to me cause I'm pretty sure I'm not blind.
Anyway, a repair guy will be here in a few days. He will also try to troubleshoot the gen.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
Might be worth a try, crawl directly under the battery box and look up between the left side of the battery box and the frame. That is where mine is on a Thor 22FE. Hard to see unless you are directly under it.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #19

THOR #16072
Been under and looked there a few times. That does seem the most likely place for it but I don't see anything there, or anywhere near there.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Quote it seems that when they build these units, someone different decides where to put each component and its wiring and each becomes unique. He found his breaker inside the BCC (Battery Control Center) box. Unquote

It might have been me that found the breaker in the BCC in the storage compartment under the seat. I, too, spent hours trying to find the breaker and finally called RV Customs. Folks were great and promptly sent me attached fuse diagram. They went so far as to make sure I knew what I was looking for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BCC Panel.pdf (1.10 MB, 110 views)
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote