Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 02:33 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Axis Earl - thanks. I tell our kids, "I'll know I done good if the last check bounces." Too Funny.

I gotta say - I have a spreadsheet that compares costs per day for food, transportation and lodging. We spend more than half our year seeing and enjoying - on average about 15000 miles in our 2nd home with wheels. We sleep in the same bed every night, eat food we prepare, drink water from our filtered system and cold beer/rum runners from frig. So costing it out with the amortization of the coach - a winner.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:20 AM   #22

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Well said by axis earl and bigben. RVs are quite expensive if you aren't using them. Depreciation will eat up the value and the loan interest or opportunity cost goes on. (That applies to boats, planes, cars, most vacation homes, etc, too.)

The RV lifestyle is not for everyone. We know a couple that bought a new Class A, their first RV, fixed their car to tow, and took off on a trip. When they got home, they sold the coach back to the dealer and went back to car trips.

All things considered, including depreciation, it costs us a bit more to own and use a RV to travel, but we meet more new friends, eat in fewer restaurants, see more interesting countryside and don't have to lug our suitcases at every stop. Oh, and we don't worry about bedbugs. To "newbies", what's that worth to you?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:22 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
I am with you Axis Earl...
so much cheaper if you just rent along the way but nothing like having your own and plus I know what has happened in my bed.... LOL....
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 AM   #24

State: Illinois
THOR #3773
I feel the need to explain my comments. It was in reference to the large profits shown by Thor and how the industry needs improvements, and the new buyers should not be duped by MRSP or so called deals by dealers. The problems that exist for many new owners is too extensive. It takes so long to get the bugs out, hopefully before the warranty expires. I love owning my own RV, This is my second Coach. There is a magic, of owning one and the freedom that comes with it. Otherwise, so many would not do it. After my dad died 8 years ago, I decided to by a Damon Toyhauler. Loved sharing times with my three young sons at the time. Now they are older, my oldest is going to college soon and we will use our new Class Super C to visit colleges. As well as taking longer trips than ever before with the entire family. Please take the plunge but be aware that you have lots of choices, fight for a great deal, don't expect perfection. Don't let the problems ruin the experience. I appreciate the forum and the responses.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #25

State: Missouri
THOR #3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Really, I have no problem with a company making a reasonable profit for producing a product that meets a demand at a fair price. (Don't get me started on pharmaceutical companies!) Thor seems to be addressing issues that arise, and continues to bring out innovative products.

Just got back from an 800 mile, 5 night trip with our 2016 Vegas 25.2. The coach performed flawlessly and handled great. Now after 6,000 miles and around 60 nights, we've had only a few minor quality issues that I have either fixed myself, or Thor and Atwood addressed promptly.

Every friend I know who has owned an RV of any brand, new or used, has had minor to major quality and reliability issues. It is unfortunate that some of you are so unhappy with your Thor product. Good luck with other brands. Our experience with this coach has been very positive.
Glad tohear that!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
danj12 - spot on with the family time. We are a bit older now (not antiques but fairly close). Our kids have there own lives to live and it is difficult for them to join us BUT. Our grandkids are at an age that being with the old Grand Ps is okay. Since my full time retirement, we have criss-cross the USA and Canada - it include 2 road trips to Alaska in a large SUV. We had a vision of sharing that some of our grandkids (we have 16) and having them see that from a sofa in an RV. Last summer 3 of them spent 45 days crossing the USA from North Carolina to California and back. In between they saw the Mall Of America, the Mississippi River, bears in Yellowstone, faces carved in stone, redwood forests, Oregon Coastline, Fishermans Wharf, Death Valley, rode on a train to the Grand Canyon,seen Cadillacs planted in dirt, at dinner ate the base of Devils Tower and more wonderful adventures. All the while following along in a kid based road atlas and snapping pics that Grandma save into a chronologically arranged photo albums of more than 400 pictures each. Each day the kids wrote out cards of what they saw the day before of memorable things. These then became the narrative for their albums.

You simply cannot buy what we've already endowed to those 3 kids. So we own an RV with bunks while we approach our 70's. Let the 70's come - God willing - we'll get to do it again with more of them. All of this and we get to winter in Key West - what a country!!!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #27

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by danj12 View Post
I feel the need to explain my comments. It was in reference to the large profits shown by Thor and how the industry needs improvements, and the new buyers should not be duped by MRSP or so called deals by dealers.
You make a point, but show me a retail industry that doesn't have sharks, charlatans and obscene profits. (And also, good honest people, too.) The RV industry is much like the auto industry. With RVs, you have not only the vehicle but all the house systems, too. It has always been, and always will be, buyer beware!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
Last summer 3 of them spent 45 days crossing the USA from North Carolina to California and back. In between they saw the Mall Of America, the Mississippi River, bears in Yellowstone, faces carved in stone, redwood forests, Oregon Coastline, Fishermans Wharf, Death Valley, rode on a train to the Grand Canyon,seen Cadillacs planted in dirt, at dinner ate the base of Devils Tower and more wonderful adventures. All the while following along in a kid based road atlas and snapping pics that Grandma save into a chronologically arranged photo albums of more than 400 pictures each. Each day the kids wrote out cards of what they saw the day before of memorable things. These then became the narrative for their albums.

You simply cannot buy what we've already endowed to those 3 kids.
Well said.

We've expressed a few times to our son (now 13) how much richer his life has been due to all our trips (camping and otherwise). Of course since he is in the midst of "those teenage years" we get back an eye roll and "yeah, sure" LOL. He'll realize it one day.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote