Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2015, 12:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Really?

Just read this today.
Recreational vehicle maker Thor Industries Inc. THO, +0.73% on Monday reported higher first-quarter profit and a 12% increase in revenue, bolstered by recent acquisitions.
Thor, which sells RVs in the U.S. and Canada, reported a 6% increase in towable RV sales, helped by acquisitions, and a 13% sales increase in the pricier motorized RVs.
Overall, the Elkhard, Ind., company reported a profit of $50.5 million, or 96 cents a share, up from $38.9 million, or 73 cents a share, a year earlier.
Sales rose to $1.03 billion from $922 million a year earlier.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters projected profit of 83 cents a share on $1.01 billion in sales.
Gross profit margin improved to 14.8% from 12.8% a year earlier.
Backlog, meanwhile, rose 16% to $1.05 billion, with motorized RV backlog up 33% to $341 million.

GO Thor.... or GO San Diego Chargers
Shares closed Monday at $57.92, up 3.7% for the year.
The company's annual shareholders' meeting is scheduled for Dec. 8.
Write to Maria Armental at maria.armental@wsj.com

Old 12-01-2015, 03:46 AM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
Amazing to think that a billion dollar company can sell you an RV that has a ton of issues and requires a year to work out all the bugs...
Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
What is backlog?
Old 12-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec
What is backlog?
My guess would be that backlog is orders for RVs that haven't been built yet.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsnook View Post
Amazing to think that a billion dollar company can sell you an RV that has a ton of issues and requires a year to work out all the bugs...
I believe Microsoft has been doing it for decades. And you need a translator and credit card to talk to their out of country customer service.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
It's called AMERICAN GREED

It's called AMERICAN GREED!!! The only thing they are good at fixing is their wallets!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Montana
THOR #3070
It is and is not greed, depends on how you look at it. It is the obligation of a publicly traded company to increase shareholder equity, which they did to the tune of 3.7%, much better than having your money in the bank or under the mattress. One can choose to invest in this company or not. The same goes for their products, if one does not like the product, buy from a competing company and help increase their stockholders equity.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
So if they are making all this money despite the shitty quality - what are the chances anything will change in the future!? 0
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
As an FYI, I am quite happy with my Thor MH.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #10

THOR #1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
As an FYI, I am quite happy with my Thor MH.
X2, we love our Hurricane 27K. Its the right fit for us and sometimes a few great-grandchildren. The king sized bed allows our dog to sleep with us.

We have had a few problems with workmanship, but good communication with our dealer and Thor, these were all solved.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejackie View Post
X2, we love our Hurricane 27K. Its the right fit for us and sometimes a few great-grandchildren. The king sized bed allows our dog to sleep with us.

We have had a few problems with workmanship, but good communication with our dealer and Thor, these were all solved.
I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying your motorhome!!

We also have a 27K and are still trying to "get used to it." We take off soon for a 2 week jaunt to CA, so we'll see how everything goes!

Eileen in AZ
Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
We also enjoy our motorhome and are getting ready to depart for another trip the middle of next week.

In January my coach will go to the dealer for it's first and last warranty repair visit since the warranty expires February 3.

The only real issue we had was with the slide and Thor paid (reimbursed me) for a mobile tech to come out to the campground to fix the issue.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-02-2015, 12:38 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
It's called AMERICAN GREED!!! The only thing they are good at fixing is their wallets!
It's actually called Capitalism. In a free-market society, (of which the U.S.A. is still part of), the purpose of business is to earn profit.

At a gross profit of 14.8% Thor is actually far below the companies that manufacture automobiles, soap and shampoo, and pharmaceuticals, (for example), and would not qualify as a good investment by many savvy investors.

With the introduction of Lean production methods, automation, and continuous improvement, automobile manufacturer's typically operate at a 25% gross profit. It actually costs less to manufacture an ordinary car/suv/truck today than it did to make a Model-T off of Henry Ford's assembly line.

Soap and shampoos are typically up to 80% water. You can easily see where the profit is there.

The pharmaceutical industry is legalized thievery, IMHO. Some companies operate at 3000%, (anything over 100% is mathematically "improper", but lets just say they sell their wares for at least 30x what it costs to design/make/market), gross profit.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
So if they are making all this money despite the shitty quality - what are the chances anything will change in the future!? 0
The way that capitalism is supposed to work is that buyers can vote with their wallets, and purchase a competing brand, (that has better perceived quality).

However, if you read any message board for any RV manufacturer, (including the Prevosts, Newells, and Monaco's of the world), they all rely on the warranty period to iron out problems.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:23 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
The way that capitalism is supposed to work is that buyers can vote with their wallets, and purchase a competing brand, (that has better perceived quality).

However, if you read any message board for any RV manufacturer, (including the Prevosts, Newells, and Monaco's of the world), they all rely on the warranty period to iron out problems.
Not just the message boards.

Family Motor Coaching Magazine's Recall corner this month

Entegra - 1
Forest River - 1
Foretravel - 1
Newmar - 1
Spartan Motors - 3 recalls
Triple Recreational Vehicles - 2 recalls
Winnebago - 2 recalls

Yes, even 600K coaches such as the Entegra have their issues.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-02-2015, 01:57 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Really, I have no problem with a company making a reasonable profit for producing a product that meets a demand at a fair price. (Don't get me started on pharmaceutical companies!) Thor seems to be addressing issues that arise, and continues to bring out innovative products.

Just got back from an 800 mile, 5 night trip with our 2016 Vegas 25.2. The coach performed flawlessly and handled great. Now after 6,000 miles and around 60 nights, we've had only a few minor quality issues that I have either fixed myself, or Thor and Atwood addressed promptly.

Every friend I know who has owned an RV of any brand, new or used, has had minor to major quality and reliability issues. It is unfortunate that some of you are so unhappy with your Thor product. Good luck with other brands. Our experience with this coach has been very positive.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #17

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Thumbs up on Mr Sunshine's comment. Same type of experience. At least with Thor I talk with a person - when we had a Georgetown, call Forest River leave your name and number and we won't call you back.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:08 AM   #18

State: Illinois
THOR #3773
Here is the problem. Most RV's have a mark up of 38%. So if you are luckily enough to by the unit close to wholesale, you wont have to suffer a huge hit if you decide to trade. After 5 years of ownership you can expect a 55-60% reduction from Wholesale.
That being said, they are making huge profits and increasing MSRP every year, without increasing quality. It sucks because the industry takes advantage of people who frankly don't have the money to lose. I am not talking about people on this site, but the millions who buy travel trailers, and other low cost units and finance for 10 to 20 years. I love camping and owning an RV but it is a terrible investment, and a flawed industry, that should offer much better products for the money and improve quality control on every level. Ok, that's off my chest, lets go camping.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:25 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Gotta say - as much as we travel (about 7 months per year) our Challenger is a great alternative to how we travel - even staying on military installation. Spent 8 weeks in Key West - at about 5-10% of what it would have otherwise cost. We are for sure senior citizens and enjoy what we enjoy. Great music, laying on the beach, cold cocktails, beautiful landscapes, wonderful mountains - lots of history.

I paid a fair price - probably right at wholesale, spent some time in the last year fixing stuff but gotta say feature for feature our "entry level" gasser is perfect for us. Not sure what it will be worth when the kids settle our estate but I know we're enjoying the hell out of this.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #20

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Gotta say - as much as we travel (about 7 months per year) our Challenger is a great alternative to how we travel - even staying on military installation. Spent 8 weeks in Key West - at about 5-10% of what it would have otherwise cost. We are for sure senior citizens and enjoy what we enjoy. Great music, laying on the beach, cold cocktails, beautiful landscapes, wonderful mountains - lots of history.

I paid a fair price - probably right at wholesale, spent some time in the last year fixing stuff but gotta say feature for feature our "entry level" gasser is perfect for us. Not sure what it will be worth when the kids settle our estate but I know we're enjoying the hell out of this.
Good for you bigben. Your comments are inspirational to a newbie. Enjoy life. I tell people who ask me about buying an RV as far as if it makes sense financially... Here's the deal.... We can sit in our easy chair, watch the biased news, watch travel shows or you can take the opportunities that God gave you to get out, see the world and talk to people you wouldn't normally see sitting in your easy chair. I've made up my mind which way to go. Financially? A rental car and motels are cheaper, but, I get to bring my little dogs without worrying about it.... Enjoy.