Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #13235
Warranty Extras!???

We're closing on our new Integra Class C in a week or so and La Mesa RV wants to sell us a package that includes 7 year Extended warranty; 5 year wax & interior protection; and 5 Year tire protection/wheel replacement. Has anyone done this? We welcome advice on this. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Entegra Class C's are brand new to Entegra - they've always been only Class A Diesel Pushers...
I think they're eventually moving all of their 'motorized' vehicles into the 'Entegra' brand name...

but, no, all that extra 'fluff' is just to add to sales commissions

Entegras already come with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty, which is double the industry average
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Tell them to go suck an egg...that's nothing but more money in their pocket. This is a brand new, factory warranted motor home.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

Go to the "search" tab on the top line and do a post search for "extended warranties". You will find a few big fans and a lot of us that think it is a big, expensive rip off. The deductibles and the exclusions will bite you! If after doing your research you still want to buy one, shop around. Some have talked the dealer down to half price! (The commission on those is about 50%!)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
The deductibles and the exclusions will bite you!... (The commission on those is about 50%!)
...because the exclusions keep them from ever having to pay out claims.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree with the above statements....but sometimes its nice to have something extra on a new RV. They will start out at like $3000 or more for this stuff.

Tell them NO, then stand up. Then they will say $2000, do the same. Then tell them $500. I got mine for like $800 or $900 for 5 years but It don't sound as good as yours.

Looking back I wish I never purchased it but I was new to RV's and was scared not to.

You can alway get an aftermarket one if your just feel that you have to have one.

If your handy at all DONT DO IT. Most of the stuff I fixed myself super cheap.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Road hazard on the tires is the only 'extra' I buy. I have had numerous bad experiences with tires and rims being damaged by giant potholes and expansion joints on bridges.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Pass on all of that crap...it's extra revenue for them and the dealer has nothing to do with administrating it. It's all 3rd party vendors...of which you will never get on the phone when you need to. As Sunshine stated...do the searches on these subjects and make an educated decision...either way. Their profit ratio is 5 times higher on these "packages" than the actual profits on the coach. The vendors will always find a reason to not cover.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #9

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Ditto - pass on them. Most of the items that might fail will fall below the threshold of the deductible. We passed and then told the dealer we wanted a “turn-key” RV so throw in a couple of water hoses, pressure reg, stinky slinky, and leveling blocks. Guess what, they did. They want to move it off the lot and $200 bucks of accessories are chump change for them.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I think I got myGood Sam coverage for about $700 for 5 years (or more, don’t remember). But if I had it to do over I’d pass as well.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:16 AM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Best advise you've gotten is save your money on the extended warranty. With that said, if you use your coach much at all you might consider the tire and wheel warranty. We purchased the tire and wheel warranty. We've used it twice with claims and reimbursements for more than $1200. The policy cost us $500. We have traveled 54k+ miles in 44 months. It has worked out well for us.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
THOR #7078
I have always had a cornerstone warranty on any coach that I owned. I will tell you from experience, that the rear end went out on my 06 Knight and I am thankful for my cornerstone warranty, it was a total of 7,000.00 to fix the rear end and my out of pocket expense was around 1500.00.

I have a cornerstone warranty on my Tuscany that covers everything in and out, no not tires, it cost me a little over 6,000 but it was for 10 years being that it was a new coach. 100.00 deductible or 50.00 deductible (where I purchased it).

If you want an extended warrant, just from experience, I would recommend cornerstone and not through a dealer,
Old 03-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
THOR #7078
Not through an RV dealer.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #14

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Interesting question. I am modestly handy, and willing to try most basic repairs and maintenance, and I generally don't purchase extended warranties. But as a first time RV owner who was planning several cross country trips, I decided that I was purchasing a little extra piece of mind, and that was worth it to me...Our rig is still under the original one year warranty, so I haven't tested the extended warranty yet. Honestly, I hope I never have to use it, but I like knowing that I have options. I realize this runs counter to most opinions posted thus far, but I think it is about what helps you sleep at night.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Interesting question. I am modestly handy, and willing to try most basic repairs and maintenance, and I generally don't purchase extended warranties. But as a first time RV owner who was planning several cross country trips, I decided that I was purchasing a little extra piece of mind, and that was worth it to me...Our rig is still under the original one year warranty, so I haven't tested the extended warranty yet. Honestly, I hope I never have to use it, but I like knowing that I have options. I realize this runs counter to most opinions posted thus far, but I think it is about what helps you sleep at night.

I felt exactly the same with my first motorhome. But after never using it for three years and gaining experience and comfort with my repair abilities I finally cancelled it for a prorated refund. There are a lot of “systems” in an RV and they are built to a price point and lead a hard life on the road - but for the most part they are pretty straightforward. I’m fairly handy and so far so good. But I still see value in the extended warranty for many folks. Especially newcomers. Enjoy your travels!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #16

THOR #11130
As the Chief says in Post #13...don't buy it through your dealer. It's marked up beyond how high they can count. The link below is an interesting read. Although packed with Ads and sounding like he's pumping Good Sam, it's followed by testimony and stories of actual owners. The initial warranty is sufficient. Drive it a few moths and see how comfortable you are with fixing things...you have warranty already in place at this time. Dealers know...if they don't "Sell You" at the time of delivery, the chances of you purchasing it later (especially through them) are slim to none.

What Is The Best RV Extended Warranty Plan?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #17

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Extended warranties is just insurance. Most never make a claim or benefit from them while others get the value and more out of them.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #18

Model: Chateau Sprinter
THOR #16446
We just purchased from LaMesa also and did not take the extended warranty through them. Call at our and you will find much better coverage with lower deductible for less out of pocket. Also the exterior "never wax" program is also some snake oil. If you Google based on the flyer, nobody likes the result. That search led me to a product called Boat Bling and the spray on wax is real good, easy to install and we'll priced. Took me and my son less than 3 hours.
Good luck and welcome.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:15 AM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I was sitting at the dealer today talking to a gentleman that bought a used Ace. He said he was lucky he bought an extended warranty because he has had 3 repairs in six months that cost over 3500.00 and his out of pocket was 300.00. My luck is whenever I purchase something like that it is never needed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:44 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That seems like it's my luck as well. I guess Murphy rules.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
integra, warranty