Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
2015 Windsport Three-Year Report

We've owned the owned our Thor Windsport K27 for over three years, and have spent at least two years working out all sorts of problems. I am happy to say that in the past four months we've driven the RV about 1,700 miles (now have 24,000 miles), towing a twelve foot dual axel trailer with tools, motorcycle clothing, and a 900+ pound Gold Wing, and we haven't had any problems during that time...that I've noticed.

The engine AC works very well, and the roof AC keeps the coach comfortable in all situations, whether using shore power or the generator. The propane furnace heats the coach quickly and is relatively quiet.

The power of the V-10 is adequate, the mileage (normally 6.5 to 7.5 MPG) is acceptable, and the driving comfort for me is excellent, with plenty of legroom. My wife finds her captain's chair to be too large. The cat loves the big dash and the pet window next to the passenger's seat.

My biggest complaint is that the bed is much too short for me. I can't imagine why I didn't try it before buying the rig. My second biggest complaint are the reflections in the driver's side window when trying to use the mirror to back at night or in certain daytime lighting conditions.

I replaced one of the ridiculously uncomfortable dinette seats with a very comfortable pontoon boat seat, so sitting at the table for more than five minutes is possible.

The left front leveling jack is no longer leaking after having the banjo bolt remade so it will retain an o-ring to seal a persistent leak in the circuit that holds the leveler in the up position. According to Lippert, the jacks can't be rebuilt. A new one costs $500.

All batteries have been replaced with maintenance free batteries. The two coach batteries are of the deep cycle AGM type.

The above is a short list of SOME of the problems, modifications, and replacements we've had to deal with. I know that something is bound to breakdown, but until then we will enjoy the coach.

No big, not expensive, but it's ours.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:47 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Good to hear you like your coach. We just got our 2nd RV in May, a 2018 Windsport 29m and we love it. Gotta accept that you will have a list of things to fix or replace like a bunk motor, fresh water tank came loose, outside receptical had a leak that shorted out the GFI circuit and other small things. I love it and we got a small washing machine that goes inside and I retrofitted where the fridge was in the outdoor kitchen to hold a small dryer.....soooo cool. Have been told that the V-10's like pure gas or no less than mid grade because of carbon and power issues. No one told me this till a Ford tech updated the engine and tranny computers, go figure. Thanks Metal Man, Bob and Wendy Trice
Old 09-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #3

THOR #2817
It's interesting that you were told that mid-grade should be used. My experience has indicated that higher octane than the engine needs, based on its compression ratio, can lead to carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. I certainly don't find the engine to be lacking power. A fifty cent a gallon increase in fuel cost, would add about twenty percent to the cost of fuel. Gulp!
Old 09-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Good to hear Metalman! Congratulations and hope you have many more enjoyable trips.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #5

THOR #9553
That's what a Ford tech told us and I'm not sure he had any agenda about the best grade fuel to use. I'm not happy about it and I would welcome other RV'ers to respond about what they use in their Triton V-10's
Old 09-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The computer will adjust things to appropriately use the fuel you put in. We've never used anything other than regular without an issue (in any of my 3 V-10's I've owned for a total of about 225,000 miles).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #7

THOR #11007
Same year and model we're driving, for our first RV! Bought used in March, with 13.4k miles on it. Since then, we've added another 4k miles on several short trips (250 miles or less) and one long one to Key Largo. No major issues for us so far, but several "quirks" noted - like levelers only work while on shore power. Need to get that resolved before we do any serious boondocking.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:05 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Mirrors

Quote [Have been told that the V-10's like pure gas or no less than mid grade because of carbon and power issues]

I've been driving V10 motorhomes for 7 years and I've never heard anyone say they needed mid-range.

Quote [My second biggest complaint are the reflections in the driver's side window when trying to use the mirror to back at night or in certain daytime lighting conditions]

I never had an issue with my mirrors when backing my Greyhawk under my RV shed. My Windsport is the exact opposite - I can't see anything behind me in the mirrors. All I see is reflections of what's in front of me. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #9

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post

...I never had an issue with my mirrors when backing my Greyhawk under my RV shed. My Windsport is the exact opposite - I can't see anything behind me in the mirrors. All I see is reflections of what's in front of me. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?
This is our forth motor home and the only one with this reflection problem, which I think has something to do with the angle of the windows vs. the driver's location. It's a design flaw that never should have happened.

Someone on the forum suggested that I tape a piece of black matt finish paper to the window where the reflections are generated. I haven't tried that but probably should experiment with it.

The side camera might help too, but it doesn't work well at night and it doesn't pick up enough detail to be absolutely sure of what is back there.

I will be using a hand-held cosmetic mirror (with a handle, extended if need be) the next time we use the RV. Slide the window and screen forward and stick the mirror out the window.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #10

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The computer will adjust things to appropriately use the fuel you put in. We've never used anything other than regular without an issue (in any of my 3 V-10's I've owned for a total of about 225,000 miles).
Thanks, I was hoping other V-10 owners would debunk the need for expensive gas. Already costs a lot to drive out a tank full of reg. Gas...