Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
THOR #7230
Vents open or closed

Its a 105 degrees here in chicago today and 90% humidity.
For those of you that have your rig parked all the time in high temp and high humidity areas , do you keep your roof vents open of closed... My rv is just parked. Not hooked up to AC power so I can not run the A/C. I can run the two ceiling vent fans, I have enough solar to keep my batteries charged for that.
What do you do?

Old 07-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I open the rig up and let it breath. I might be off base but I don’t like the thought of all the cheap particle board and fir strips warping or separating in the heat and humidity
Old 07-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Open when parked, closed when driving.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Vents open for sure. It helps with the off-gassing of the materials used in the construction of the coach.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I kept mine closed for several years without issue. I figured open vents let more dust in and let more humidity in too with the daily heat/cool cycles

last year...late summer or early fall I think it was...I had a mold issue pop up. pretty sure it was moisture from a shower I took after doing some work on it in the storage lot...and I didn't let it vent while the shower and towel were drying.

So this summer I have a couple of my vents open
The only issue I see is that i can't use my vent shade pillows and it gets a lot hotter in there
Old 07-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I open ours up during the day, and shut them down in the evening...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I try to leave mine open (if I know it wont rain) but I also have the Max Air vents to prevent rain entering. I will leave open at night if its parked at my house and I dont think it will rain. But im lucky to have fully inclosed indoor storage .... so Roof vents fully open and kitchen window fully open plus Damp Rid bucket in shower stall.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #8

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
plus Damp Rid bucket in shower stall.
A damp rid bucket is a great idea for here in florida.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sort of a hijack, sorta not:
The 'clear crystal' kitty litter is all but identical to high priced commercial dessicant.
I'm in the process of converting a Scuba tank to become a high volume dessicant holder for my shop big aircompressor.....

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Crystals...+kitty+&sr=8-6
Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Good to know.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:47 AM   #11

Model: 29 M Hurricane
THOR #14300
I leave the bathroom and main cabin vents open, I have additional covers over the vents. I’m stored under cover in Florida, with power available. We use Damp Dry and also leave a fan running on a timer during the day. I also leave all the cabinet doors and draws open. Never any mildew or moisture issues as the air is always moving.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #12

State: Louisiana
THOR #10324
We live in Louisiana and my dear wife bought a counter top dehumidifier for the camper on Amazon. It fills up about a quart in three or four days and needs to be emptied, but it keeps the camper in the driveway pretty dry between trips.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #13

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
We live just outside of DC where the heat/humidity definitely gets up there during the summer months. It's not quite as bad as some areas of the country, but bad enough.

Ever since we've graduated from the popup to a TT about 10 years ago, we've always left one of the (covered) roof vents and a jalousie style window partially open and leave it that way year round when not in use. The thought there is so that the heat will rise and push out the roof vent while pulling (slightly) cooler air in the window - so the heat and moisture level should remain consistent with the outside so that it never condenses on anything inside if the temps happen to drop rapidly overnight when a cold front comes through.

So far, we've not seen any problems with it in any fashion (mold, humidity, dust, etc..) I do have to clean the screen on the vent and window more frequently since air is flowing through them constantly, but that's to be expected.

When we're on a trip and it's cold outside, we also keep a roof vent and a window cracked open to also help regulate the inside ambient humidity. It does also give up some heat to the outside, but it's better than water running down the windows.

If you store it somewhere, this obviously may not be possible (e.g., break-ins, damage by neighbors, dust, etc..), but since our RV is on a driveway extension next to our house and virtually under constant supervision, it works for us.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #14

Model: quantum SE28
THOR #15598
Humidity Problems

I live in Florida. I leave the door open with screen door closed during the hot days. I also put a Damp Rid bucket in the coach. Have to check frequently. But it will last about a month. Leave vents open only if you have maxair or other type of vent covers.