Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14393
Confused about Charging ?????

So, I guess I'm confused ( nothing really new about that ).

My 2016 Vegas 24.1 is in storage. I have access to a 30 Amp power, so it is plugged in all the time. This allows me to run the A/C at a setting of about 81 because it can get very hot and humid in Southern Florida in the summer.

Switch is in Use.

I thought that when plugged in, and in Use, the house and Ford truck batteries would be charged ( charging as needed ).

For the second time, after about a month in storage, the Ford battery seem like they are not charging. 1st time I had jump them to start the RV right before a trip. Today, just checking, the Ford almost didn't start ( I ran the engine for about 20 minutes to charge the battery - leaving next week on a trip ). Again, seemed like the battery was almost dead.

All batteries are new AGMs, so didn't want a problem. Did I read the manual wrong, shouldn't the truck battery also be charging?

Old 08-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm not sure if the chassis battery also gets a charge; or not...
But since you have access to power: it should be easy to find a spot to plug in a battery maintainer for that battery (I like Deltran's Battery Tender models), and leave no doubt!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You are correct: It should charge the chassis battery when plugged in.

Typically if it doesn't something is mis-wired (most likely the BIRD).

There is a lot of discussion of the BIRD in Ed's Axis/Vegas owner's manual.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I don't have a Vegas but I thought most of the Class A's charge the chassis battery.... while most Class C's do not.

You might want to check the documentation you have to be sure and then start checking fuses and relays.

I added this to my Class C to keep the chassis battery charged and it works great!

https://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

With the solar I installed not only are the house batteries charged but the chassis battery is now maintained as well without having to keep the rig plugged in at home if I don't want to plug in.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
It sounds like your house batteries were charging, as you did not mention them. I believe that the (Ford) battery is not on the house charging system. This is the reason for the emergency start switch on the dash, I believe it transfers power from the house batteries to the "Ford" battery. Somewhere you have a drain on your engine battery, I would try and find what is causing that drain. Like said above get a battery minder for the engine battery.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
JamieGeek is right. On the Vegas/Axis both battery banks should be charging. You definitely have something mis-wired or the BIRD or chassis isolation relay is not functioning properly.

Here is the schematic and description of how the BIRD and Trombetta function -- how they detect the charge level of the chassis and house batteries, and how they open and close relays to isolate the chassis & house batteries. There are specific voltage levels that are sensed to operate isolation relays so that charging current (from the converter when plugged in or when the generator is running, or from the engine-driven alternator when driving) charge get to either the chassis or house batteries.

One more thing -- in some model years of Axis/Vegas they do not use a BIRD/Trombetta. Instead they use a Battery Control Center (BCC). In the BCC there are relays and detectors that operate just like the BIRD/Trombetta do to keep both sets of batteries charged.

And by the way, there are some Thor models where the chassis battery IS NOT charged this way. So sometimes owners of those models will offer advice that is not relevant to Axis/Vegas. Just remember in the Axis/Vegas both sets of batteries are charged by when on shore power, when running the generator, or while motoring down the road. If yours isn't -- there is a problem that needs to be troubleshot and corrected.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD & Trombetta.pdf (273.5 KB, 45 views)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
When I store my 2018 Siesta I just plug in a simple single solar battery charger and connect it to the chassis battery jump start under the hood and let the sun keep the chassis battery charged. I think the battery solar panel set up was around $25.00 and works great. I used to have that problem since there is always a small drain on the chassis battery even when not in use. I also had a house battery to chassis battery emergency switch install so I could jump start my chassis without having to use my portable jump start pack. My r v dealership installed the emergency switch.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #8

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
THOR #14393
Thanks for all the replies.

Yep, re read the "manual", and converter / charger should be charging the Ford Truck battery when plugged in and in the use position ..... so, that's not working.

Previously have read and studied the excellent "master Thor Vegas / Axis manual", so was aware of the BIRD and BCC controllers, and how they controlled the charging. But that is getting a bit beyond my comfort level expertise.

Since I'm plugged in all the time ( currently ), I may get a trickle charger that I can run under the flip top desk into the engine compartment, and attach to the battery. I can plug that into the 120 V plug by the passenger seat when the RV is stored.

Maybe when I'm at the Florida Fall Thor meetup in St Augustine in October, I can get some additional help.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp001 View Post
So, I guess I'm confused ( nothing really new about that ).

My 2016 Vegas 24.1 is in storage. I have access to a 30 Amp power, so it is plugged in all the time. This allows me to run the A/C at a setting of about 81 because it can get very hot and humid in Southern Florida in the summer.

Switch is in Use.

I thought that when plugged in, and in Use, the house and Ford truck batteries would be charged ( charging as needed ).

For the second time, after about a month in storage, the Ford battery seem like they are not charging. 1st time I had jump them to start the RV right before a trip. Today, just checking, the Ford almost didn't start ( I ran the engine for about 20 minutes to charge the battery - leaving next week on a trip ). Again, seemed like the battery was almost dead.

All batteries are new AGMs, so didn't want a problem. Did I read the manual wrong, shouldn't the truck battery also be charging?

We had the same issue with our 2016 VEGAS of the chassis battery not charging on shore power/generator.

Finally went under the hood and found the the wires on the BIRD were wired wrong. After I put the correct wires to the IGNITION and COACH terminals, everything is working as expected.

Chassis and coach get charged from shore power/ generator. And when the CHASSIS or COACH voltage drops below the proper level the TROMBETTA opens and separates the batteries.

I had the dealer look at it three or four times and they found nothing. I had to use a volt meter tonfigurenut out myself. But, after two years, I am a happy camper!