Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36qsh - $18,500 Cash Only

I was eating lunch with my wife and I saw a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH for sale on Facebook for $18,500.00. About fell out of my chair. Sent them an email immediately saying I had the cash and would buy the motor home.

No answer so we finished lunch and drove home. Shortly after getting home I received the following email.

Quote:
Thank You for your interest in my 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36qsh that I have for sale. It is in perfect condition, with only 46,000 miles, Cummings 360HP Engine, Allison 6SP transmission, 4 Sleep, Length: 37. The interior is in very good condition, also the exterior. This Motorhome is top of the line. Fully Equipped. I have a clear title, free of any liens or loans. The price is firm, $18,200. I am selling it because my wife died a month ago (she suffered a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories, so I want to sell it as soon as possible. My daughter and I decided to sell the house and we moved with my parents in Winter Haven, FL trying to start a new life. Here is a link to the Motorhome photo gallery: https://www.use.com/Oh0tz
I emailed him back again and said I had "Cash in Hand" and to call me. Sent my phone # in the email.

Something kept telling me this was just too good to be true, so I did a Google search.

Turns out, this is a scam that has been going on for awhile. The scammer will send another email with payment instructions (here is where you send some money to the payment entity, usually an eBay or Amazon payment) But the payment site is phony and you're sending your money to the scammer.

Be alert! If it's too good to be true, it's probably not true. But I will admit, I was pretty excited for a little bit!

2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
String them along: See if he'll drive it up to you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Just for fun: I pulled this one out of RVTrader...

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...QSH-5006295120
Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
He's in India...he would have to ship it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #5

THOR #14340
I've been working on my (new to me) 2004 Windsport for about 6 weeks and I've gotten to where she is looking pretty good. I enjoy hanging out in the evening, having a beer or two, and planning out the trips we're gonna take and how much fun we will have. In short, I really like it!

But when I saw this 2008 Tiffin, and before I realized it was a scam, I was ready to throw that old Windsport under the bus! Lol, I was planing her demise and wondering how long it would take to dump that turkey.

Now I have to go apologize and make up with her. Sure hope she doesn't hold a grudge.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For that money: my Wayfarer was starting to look as if it might meet with an "untimely end"...
Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
The scams are getting very elaborate. My son-in-law was looking at a "too good deal" on a ski boat and asked my opinion (me being "wiser" AKA more suspicious in nature). The scam included a legitimate looking (real) shipping/escrow company, but when I Google Earth'd the shipper the site looked run down and then BBB searches brought up other issues. I called the shipper and said I will come by in person that weekend with cash to pick it up, which resulted in a hang up and quickly disconnected number...
Reported it to BBB, but I'm sure it will pop up again under a new name.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
He's in India...he would have to ship it.
Maybe my Nigerian Prince will pay the shipping costs for me...
Old 04-07-2019, 01:34 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
After he comes to buy me a house
Old 04-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
After he comes to buy me a house
He has promised to send me 420 "mililon" dollars... give me your bank account info, so that he can transfer the money to us!
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

THOR #14340
So this morning, I finally heard back from the seller. Might be more convincing if it was grammar proofed first?

Quote:
Hi again,

Thanks for the reply. So our current situation is that my daughter and I decided to go for fresh start so we sold the house and moved to my parents in Winter Haven, FL. We are trying to start a new life. I am in US Army and soon our unit will be sent back oversea to replace and help the troops scheduled to come home. This is the reason why I left the RV stored with all the paperwork at the shipping company (Carrier Service Industries) in Winter Haven, FL ready to be delivered. I will take care of the shipping. I want to use their escrow and transport services as they offer 100% protection and insurance to both buyers and sellers. I will try to explain you in a few words how it works. The payment must be sent to them and they will offer you a benefit of 5 days inspection period and then I will get the payment. SO...ONLY AFTER you receive the Motorhome and agree to keep it, they will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected.

So, this is not a blind transaction, you can physically see the RV before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns. In case you won`t be satisfied, you can cancel the transaction and ship it back on my expense. If you are interested, please include in the next email your contact information (full name, shipping address and phone number), so we can get the ball rolling.

Thank you!
Old 04-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #12

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I saw an ad in our local Craigslist that was a 2012 Tiffin. It didn't say the length, what model, or the mileage just that it was $20,000. I wrote and said is this a typo? the picture looked like it was an Allegro red maybe 36 to 38 ft long. The reply I got back said it's in perfect shape must sell $20,000. But when I clicked the link back to the ad it had been pulled. Go figure!
Old 04-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What are all these scammers Tifins running around for anyway?
Can't they pick on another brand: how about Newell, or Renegade?
Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #14

THOR #14340
I should probably just ignore this clown but I hate a thief. I'm sure he's in a foreign country so no way to actually catch him. But it's in my nature to want to mess with him a bit.

As such, I sent him the following reply...

Quote:
Hi William,

I really want this motorhome and I hope you choose to sell it to me instead of the others who I assume are also contacting you. I am willing to pay $25,000 for this motorhome I took the money out of the bank on Friday and have it in cash.

I am ready to drive to Winter Haven FL with the money and I can leave here as early as Tuesday. (have to work tomorrow) Will that be OK?

Please consider my offer and send me an address to meet you at on Tuesday.

Thank you!

Jim
Old 04-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1554675808
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awesome.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	16543  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:05 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Send whatever communication you have to the FBI. Sometimes these scammers know guys in the US like to play junior detective and try to catch them. They may already be gaining access to your files through emails you are exchanging.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #17

State: Alabama
THOR #14464
Scam

[QUOTE=Squerly;175972]I was eating lunch with my wife and I saw a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH for sale on Facebook for $18,500.00. About fell out of my chair. Sent them an email immediately saying I had the cash and would buy the motor home.

No answer so we finished lunch and drove home. Shortly after getting home I received the following email.

[FONT=&quot]I emailed him back again and said I had "Cash in Hand" and to call me. Sent my phone # in the email.ONT]
Something kept telling me this was just too good to be true, so I did a Google search.

Turns out, this is a scam that has been going on for awhile. The scammer will send another email with payment instructions (here is where you send some money to the payment entity, usually an eBay or Amazon payment) But the payment site is phony and you're sending your money to the scammer.

Be alert! If it's too good to be true, it's probably not true. But I will admit, I was pretty excited for a little bit!
[/QUOTE
Yes a scam, said he was in the Army being deployed.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #18

State: Nevada
THOR #10325
The answer

Don't be fooled:

Over the past 3 years I have responded to many scams. The bottom line is cash in hand title in hand, no pay and deliver. Meet the person, look at the Rig and make the deal. If it is easy it won't happen. Very simple if it is in your town meet the person, if it is out of town don't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
I was eating lunch with my wife and I saw a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH for sale on Facebook for $18,500.00. About fell out of my chair. Sent them an email immediately saying I had the cash and would buy the motor home.

I emailed him back again and said I had "Cash in Hand" and to call me. Sent my phone # in the email.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #19

State: Alabama
THOR #14464
Yes it's a scam. The person said he was in the Army and is heading overseas. Oh and his wife just died. I asked what unit he is with. Never heard from him again.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #20

THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbart1117 View Post
Yes it's a scam. The person said he was in the Army and is heading overseas. Oh and his wife just died. I asked what unit he is with. Never heard from him again.