Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #835
2012 or 2013???

Last June we bought a 2013 Thor Hurricane 31 J. It is in the shop for the 9th time adding up to about 22 weeks in total this year. We are considering trading because we feel we have a lemon. When a salesman evaluated our RV, he said it was a 2012. All paper work says 2013. When we contacted the manager of the dealer we purchased from, he said that the chassis is a 2012, but the rest is a 2013, and this practice is widely acceptable in the industry. Any one know if we were duped or not?

When I looked at RV trader they do not even show a 2013 hurricane 31 J, perhaps Thor stopped making those in 2012.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
that's too bad.
I have read that sometimes the coach and chassis will be mismatched. I have no experience with that but I do believe that it would devalue your coach. I'm sorry that you have had such an experience.

Without stirring up too many bad memories and issues, what sorts of problems have you been having that have had it in the shop so many times?

I guess I'm really just trying to see if i should count myself lucky so far or not. In the few weeks we've had our new leftover 2013, I have already addressed quite a long and healthy list of little modifications and repairs. So far I have just been handling them myself since I realized that in most cases it would mean long waits for appointments, perhaps waiting for parts, then perhaps inferior repairs that would have to be redone anyway...... stuff like attaching loose drawer slides, caulking the leaking shower, tightening or replacing missing screws, etc..... I do have a list building though, of things taht will need to go into the shop for warranty repair soon enough.

From what i can tell this is pretty much par for the course with Thor, and likely most other manufacturers.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Can you look up your VIN? That would tell you for sure. For a Class A, I would suspect the VIN is from the chassis builder, not the coach builder - but I don't know for sure.

One thing I found out with my Class C is that the warranty period from Ford started when the cut-away chassis was delivered to Thor/MorRyde. On the "B" pillar on the driver's side, there is the Ford identification plate with VIN showing mfg in 11/2010 and next to it is the Thor identification plate with the Ford VIN showing mfg in 1/2011.

So I am not sure that means the RV mfg is not truly an authorized Ford reseller or what, but when I called FORD (I bought the coach used), I found the warranty period began 11/2010. So in reality, the warranty was active when Thor was building the coach and when it was sitting on the dealer's lot.

The chassis was a 2011 model year although it was actually built in late 2010. This is consistent with the auto industry as they start building next year's models in Aug or so of the year prior.

Be that as it may, the FORD VIN shows 2011 although it was built in late 2010.

So there may be a discrepancy between model year and year of actual manufacture in any vehicle, and it is possible your chassis is a 2013 model year, but built in 2012.

Somewhere though I have to believe there has to be a chassis mfg identification plate with the VIN (in addition to the Thor identification plate). Maybe it is attached to the frame somewhere that you cannot see, or perhaps under the steering column, etc.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
One thing I found out with my Class C is that the warranty period from Ford started when the cut-away chassis was delivered to Thor/MorRyde.
Sneaky little suckers they are......
That for sure was never disclosed to me when I recently bought my NEW leftover 2013.
I have learned that it came off Thor's line in March 2013, so that means that if you're right my Ford warranty started tickinng off in either early 2013 or maybe even late 2104!
Beautiful.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 AM   #5

State: Kentucky
THOR #835
2012 or 2013?

Thank you for responding to my thread. Our problems have mostly been electrical. Ford replaced the entire computer back in February, our coach had to be towed to another city for repair, basically all systems failed, air-conditioning, cruise control, it would down shift to first gear while we were on the interstate, scary! Twice we have had jack issues, first we had a bad solenoid, three weeks in the shop for that, then the next trip out only three jacks would come down, it is currently in the shop for that. Our bcc is getting replaced now too, because our battery drains in minutes. Just a laundry list of crazy stuff.

Should we trade for a different brand?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The best way to find out is to call FORD customer service, give them your VIN, and they will tell you when the warranty period began and ends.