Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
9uc

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Former Daybreak Owner
State: Nevada
THOR #360
Quote:
Originally Posted by wogden View Post
What size are these slides that are giving everyone trouble? We have our first RV with a slide and it is from Schwintek. Ours includes the dinette and the wardrobe cabinets with over head storage cabinetry.....
Thanks for the posting as that explains and answers some of the questions and problems I'm having. I've copied it to file for later reference. I'm not going to swear to it, but based upon what I'm hearing from a guy I know that's an independent RV mechanic, the larger the slide the more the problem. I've got the the wall slide. It runs from just behind the drivers seat to about a foot from the rear of the coach. It uses four motors, one at the top and one at the bottom on each end of the slide which means all four must be in sync. I can just really see me trying to disconnect four motors, two from off a ladder and manually pushing that slide back into the body. Mine is supposed to be ready the end of next week or the first part of the week following. As it's said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Oh well, won't be the first lie I've heard.

9uc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
Surly there has to be something we as consumers can do. Class action lawsuit could be a consideration if they keep doing nothing. Has anyone spoke with a lemon law attorney? That is not something I would consider lightly, but I am totally fed up with the responses from Thor and Camping World. I really, really desire to have my RV in perfect working order above all other choices, but that does not seem like it will ever happen at this point, considering what I am reading here. As of today we have owned ours for 78 days and have had it in our possession for 6 of those days. It is also one of the units with a full wall slide out. I am just completely lost as to where to turn. Last Tues day I was told by Camping World that the parts were finally in and the job would take about 8 hours. I'm still waiting and tomorrow be another week. Thor and CW continually keep blowing smoke up my butt and keep telling me they will keep me advised, but yet I never hear anything unless I call them. Then the answer is just the same, "We'll call and let you know!!!!"
Old 09-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #23

State: Vermont
THOR #386
Sad case Bosty, for sure! Have you attempted to reach a CW regional manager or district supervisor? If not I would start moving up the ladder until you got some better answers. Seems to me that no one is really sure what to do and they are stalling perhaps.You might have better luck dealing with CW as I think Thor is too far removed from the local scene IMHO. Keep us posted please.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #24

THOR #368
We've spoken to the store manager, sales manager, and service manager of the CW store in question, as well as a customer service manager from Thor. Same responses everywhere. Same BS... I'm sure this thread is not doing either company much good though. CW places the blame on Thor and Thor places it back on them. We'll just have to see what happens this coming week.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #25

Brand: Redwood
Model: 38GK
State: Texas
THOR #439
got to RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camping World Service and Installation
and post your issue to Marcus Lemoine the Pres of CW...

Then go to all the thor forums you can find and do the same ....

good luck
Old 09-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #26

State: Vermont
THOR #386
I was over visiting the Irv2 site and came upon a thread started in July regarding a letter to the CEO of Thor. Read thru this voluminous thread to page 3 and thought it might be of interest to some of you folks. Hope I did not make a bad choice here with my 24c. Not getting the good feeling I wanted for sure. Here is the link:

Letter to Thor - iRV2 Forums
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #27

THOR #368
Thanks wogden. I've posted there too. Maybe we will get someone's attention.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #28

THOR #368
I just received an email from CW that they got the repair completed, but now have discovered that the rollers are out of round. How do you take the system apart and not notice this to begin with. So here we go another week. My degree of being PO'ed has reached an all time lifetime high!!!!! I sure wish there was such a thing as buyers remorse, because we sure have it big time....
Old 09-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I ran across an add in a magazine when we were out in CO. last Mo.
It's titled---Is your RV a Lemon?
I'm guessing it's just that, but if anyone is interested in checking them out---

I-800-501-0235
California Lemon Law Lawyer - Consumer Law Attorney - Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento & Fresno - Kemnitzer, Barron & Krieg, LLP
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
You know Lloyd they may have stumbled into a gold mine knowing how many manufacturers have troublesome units. Lawsuits and federal regulations really are what it will take to fix the industry.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #31

THOR #368
Ours is a completely new model from Thor, and I believe we purchased the first in the state. Today we get a call from Camping World who I am pleased to report finally went above and beyond. They got another one of these RV's in stock and completely disassembled the slide mechanism to see how it was set up. Upon comparing the two identical systems, they found that my unit was assembled with several key pieces missing which caused the motors to bind burning them up, and destroying some key items. Thor is reportedly expediting the replacement parts and the missing parts. At least we're getting somewhere, no thanks to Thor, but I'm feeling a bit better about CW. We'll see how long that lasts.Just cannot believe a product which is supposed to be hand crafted could have this problem. Kind of makes me wonder if the next time I see a sign on a product saying "Hand Made" if maybe I should run the other way.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #32

State: New Jersey
THOR #338
update....after waiting since July for a factory apt at
Thor, they finally picked up the unit today for a factory repair of my main slide. See earlier posts....what a nightmare this has been. I know it could be worse, but this is bad enough. I personally will never ever buy Thor again.
My first MH was a Winnebago...wish I had stuck with it and not changed.
here is hoping when I ever get my MH back that the slide does not sound like a metal knowing rat behind my head! Good luck everyone.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
David, thanks for the update, Please keep us informed if you would.
Wish you the best of luck on the repairs.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #34

THOR #338
Well....after Thor sending a driver down to transport my Hurricane 32a back for factory repairs, not only does it still make the same horrible noise while driving down the road, they did a totally amateur, botched up job repairing the front overhead bunk ...which did not have a problem before it went to the factory. They said the slide window was wrong, and put a new one in, then left screws in and on the couch, and forgot to send the screen back with it. I am "THOR"oughly disgusted with thor and their feeble attempt at throwing parts at this slide problem. They don't know how to repair it in my opinion, and I just wish I could get my money back and call it quits with Thor and go buy another coach.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #35

State: New Mexico
THOR #730
We are having same problem with our 32a 2013 did you ever get it fixed?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #36

THOR #730
Hurricane 32a slide problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsnackman View Post
Another update the two new notors were installed and the tech said the noise was worse....not liking how this is playing out....called dealer and expressed my frustrations, not at his techs, but at Thor not knowing how to fix this...first it was shim it here, then new motors, wonder what today will bring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsnackman View Post
bought a new Thor Hurricane 32A. I am having a slide problem, and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. I put the slide in and go on the road...after a bit, maybe 30 minutes, right behind the drivers seat on the upper rail...it starts this unbelievably loud squeaking or popping sound like something is loose. Has anyone has this problem?

Has anyone got theirs fixed?
G
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #37

THOR #704
I had a local CW try fixing the same noise as the OP described and not only did they not fix it but afterwords there was a pretty bad leak in the slide. There was no way I was taking a chance at a local dealer so I made my appointment last November and drove it from Jersey to the factory in Elkhart. I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of their workmanship. They fixed that as well as a 1" lean to the passenger side and a laundry list of small incidental issues.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #38

THOR #730
Slider fix

Do you know what they actually did to fix it?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #39

THOR #704
Actually, they pointed out that the chalking in many areas of the trim had already separated which funnels water into the side walls. It's important that everyone understands that my coach was only 9 months old so be warned that you need to keep an eye on it.

The noise from my slide was disappearing and almost gone by the time I went in for my appointment. I thought it was the rubber squeaking on the paint but it started out pretty loud. The slides did seam to be tighter against the outside wall of the RV when they were done.

I drove it through 24 hours of really hard rain on my way to Gulf Shores and it was leak free.

The guys that worked on it at the factory fixed everything on my list as well as things that came up after I had submitted the the list.

This is my third Thor product and I couldn't be happier. I read all the forums and every coach has issues so I'm thankful for the few that I've had and the outstanding service provided at the factory.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #40

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34J
State: Washington
THOR #774
Been reading this thread with a bit of worry. I just bought a 2015 Hurricane Bunk, and pick it up in two weeks. One of the new features I noticed though from the '14 to the '15 is that they added a second bracket to the slide. Before it was just two slide bars, and now they have three (two on top and one on the bottom). Maybe this is their fix for all the issues that have been occurring. I will let you know what I find out. First time owner of any RV, and I have my fingers crossed.... Pics below..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-Thor-HURRICANE-34F.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	74   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Double bracket.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	75