Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #5487
2014 Hurricane 32N Water running down inside of windshield while driving.

My parents just picked up a 2014 Thor Hurricane 32N with 4400 miles. The unit is flawless - some things look like have been never or hardly used. We had to hood issue in the other thread and are still working through that.

This one however has us stumped. My parent have had the unit parked in the driveway for a week with rain on and off and no leaks. They also have a 40' dome they park the coach in (they down-sized with this model being on 31' long).

So last night they took it out of the dome and loaded it up with last minute items and left it in the driveway overnight. There was dew on it this morning, enough to run down the sides of the coach as the outside morning temp warmed up. Anyway, they pulled out about noon today and go about 20 minutes from the house and was doing about 50-55 and all of a sudden a few drops streamed down the INSIDE of the windshield. Not a lot - enough to soak one or two paper towels and then it stopped. It splattered on the dash. It came from above the top of the windshield. The odd part is nothing while it had been raining - not a drop inside of the coach. Then driving it appears. Almost like the wind from driving was pushing it out?

Dad climbed up on the roof and didn't see any open seams or cracks or holes. Even looked around the top marker lights and no roof mounted satellite yet.

It's so frustrating. They got ride of a 2000 Damon Challenger that was mint condition but a problem from the start. Every time they took it out - it was something else. Finally made the move to this one and first trip out water in the coach

Anyone have any similar issues or thoughts?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks all -

Scott

Old 09-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

State: New York
THOR #5487
Update 9/30/2016:

It has been raining where my parents are at and there are an occasional couple drops of water that come down the windshield on the inside - about in the middle. When you look up as far as you can - it goes to the seal at the top of the windshield. Is it possible it would leak through that?

maybe sitting and not being used has dried things out like the seals? The generator only has 27 hrs. 4400 miles on the coach. 2014. Dad says the seat is stiff / hard as hell to ride in (anybody else have the issue with the seat not being comfortable). Nothing seems used or "broken in". If it sat outside - maybe the seals are dried out. It doesn't look like it. We marked it and took pics to show the dealer but...

Any ideas - i could also be coming from above the seal but cannot see any further up.

Thanks all -
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
2014 Hurricane 32N Water running down inside of windshield while driving.

Way back, many years ago, with those 2014 Hurricane/Windsport models there were windshield issues experienced by some owners during the warranty period. Your new to you Hurricane may not have had the windshield resealed under warranty being that it had so little use.

For those affected, the windshield would pop out, (or crack), if the entry door was quickly slammed shut if all the windows and vents were closed.

Or, more exciting, the windshield would pop out, (or crack), while leveling. Due to the coach twisting a bit.

These issues were always traced back to two root causes. 1. The front cap was trimmed very aggressively during manufacture with very little "lip" for mounting the windshield in spots, or... 2. Not enough adhesive applied during manufacture.

Both issues were solved by removing and remounting the windshield with attention to the thin areas, (if any), and ample adhesive.

The other possibility may be collected condensation at the top of the windshield not noticed until driving down the road a bit. That's what the fans are for. They help keep the condensation under control.

When many people were returning their coaches due to windshield leaks and cracks, (also common with Vegas/Axis models), they systemically performed three inspections:

Looking for an unusual exterior seal installation would be the first check. Carefully feeling the perimeter of the windshield for obvious movement, especially at the top, both inside and outside would be the second check. Then, testing for leaks by aiming a water stream around the windshield seal while someone sits inside looking for drips. That's the very scientific third test the dealer would perform.

If they were pressed for time or manpower, they forgo any inspection and simply removed and replaced the windshield using more than enough adhesive.

I know this because I own a 2014 and literally spent hours one morning at the now defunct McMahon's dealership, (in Southern California), watching the techs fix windshields. I stayed around very discreetly when I needed warranty work on my bunk lift motors, rails, and cables.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Go to a windshield repair shop, they have a tool that slips inside the rubber seal to inject sealer. The shop can run sealer around the windshield pretty quickly and that should take care of the leak, start with simple fixes first!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I would try adding some silicone sealer around the top edge of the rubber seal just to be sure. However, it is more than likely due to condensation... we have had a few mornings much like that where we start out driving and the next thing you know, there is water dripping from the top of the windshield (even on a new unit.) As Beacher pointed out, the fans will help with that.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote