Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Texas
THOR #1978
2015 ACE 29.2 - Front Tires Off Ground

This has probably been covered but I can't seem to find a thread that covers it. We are new to the MH RV'ing community and still have a lot to learn.

When I put the MH in the storage facility, I put it on the hyd. jacks. It lifts the front wheels off the ground. The MH is level, but I am not sure if the wheels should be off the ground or not. Not even sure if I should use the hyd. jacks to level it out while it is in storage. It will probably never be in storage for longer than 2 months at a time, as we intend to use it as much as possible.

Don't really know the proper protocol and any advise would be most grateful.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:54 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
I'm somewhat new to motorhomes myself but my thought is I wouldn't leave it on the hydraulic jacks while in storage. The shafts will rust and be ruined. When you retract them they get a small coating of hydraulic fluid on them but if left out that small coating won't protect them for long. I have a few pieces of heavy equipment and this is a real problem when I let them sit to long. My ACE 30.2 will lift the front tires off the ground to get level too. I'm not sure if it's s big deal or not. I usually pull into boards so there not fully off the ground after leveling.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmcclintock View Post
This has probably been covered but I can't seem to find a thread that covers it. We are new to the MH RV'ing community and still have a lot to learn.

When I put the MH in the storage facility, I put it on the hyd. jacks. It lifts the front wheels off the ground. The MH is level, but I am not sure if the wheels should be off the ground or not. Not even sure if I should use the hyd. jacks to level it out while it is in storage. It will probably never be in storage for longer than 2 months at a time, as we intend to use it as much as possible.

Don't really know the proper protocol and any advise would be most grateful.
The Lippert manual specifically states that the motor home should not be lifted off the ground using the leveling jacks. The motor home should be parked on a fairly level surface before the jacks are extended.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

THOR #1978
It is parked on a fairly level surface for the most part. I recently took the MH on a trip and was on a level slab and the tires were still off the ground. I can't seem to level it without the front tires coming off the grounds.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Mine is the same. The front always has to go way up to be level. I try to park with the front uphill as much as possible but I also pack around 2x10's to stack and park the front on when needed and 4x6's to put under the jack legs.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Missouri
THOR #2028
I have this same issue when using the auto-level feature in my 27.1. So, I now do it manually. I can get it level faster w/o a lot of the up/down that the auto feature does.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
THOR #1793
As stated, not meant to lift off the ground. I have started using leveling blocks under the front wheels.

I have also used manual leveling and yes it works great with less adjustments.

As for during storage, sorry no advice here.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

THOR #1978
I took mine off the jacks while it is stored. I don't use reefer or anything else for that matter and I don't think it will ever be stored for longer than two months at a time. Hopefully I can get it out at least monthly. I think I will start leveling it manually as well. Just have to get use to doing it that way.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I would not leave it on jacks for storage - manual states not to as cylinders will become rusty and pitting will occur which will lead to eventual failure. I spray mine with silicone spray once per week when camping and jacks are down.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Yes, do not leave the MH up on the levers while in storage. I thought I had a leak
in the system (fluid on floor of compartment under the pump), but the tech who
looked at it at CW says it is just fluid pushed out of the vent in the cap of the reservoir from the levelers going up and down.

I now try to level the MH with 2x10 boards under the tires before I use the leveling system.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
I think you may be taking "off the ground" too literally. If your leveling system were not permitted to raise any tires off the ground, the amount of leveling ability provided would be too small to be worth the trouble. I take it to mean that the levelers should not be used to take ALL tires off the ground, as in trying to use them to raise the vehicle to do maintenance. In fact, with my Windsport, when auto-leveling does lift the front tires off the ground, it will automatically keep the rear jacks from extending so the rear tires stay on the ground.

I use chocks under the tires that are still planted on the ground, by the way, for extra safety.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #12

THOR #1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I think you may be taking "off the ground" too literally. If your leveling system were not permitted to raise any tires off the ground, the amount of leveling ability provided would be too small to be worth the trouble. I take it to mean that the levelers should not be used to take ALL tires off the ground, as in trying to use them to raise the vehicle to do maintenance. In fact, with my Windsport, when auto-leveling does lift the front tires off the ground, it will automatically keep the rear jacks from extending so the rear tires stay on the ground.

I use chocks under the tires that are still planted on the ground, by the way, for extra safety.
I was wondering about that Tom. My rear tires do stay on the ground when it lifts the front ones. I am just not sure as I am still new to all this. I have it off the jacks now and don't believe it will ever stay in storage much longer than a month anyway, so I guess I will just go with that.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
...I thought I had a leak
in the system (fluid on floor of compartment under the pump), but the tech who looked at it at CW says it is just fluid pushed out of the vent in the cap of the reservoir from the levelers going up and down.
When the jacks are down, the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir will naturally go down, as the fluid is ported into all the jacks. When the jacks are up, most fluid will return to the reservoir. That's why you should always check fluid level with the jacks fully retracted (up). If you fill the reservoir too full with the jacks extended (down), when they are retracted then you are likely to get overflow as fluid returns to the reservoir (as in pushed out of the vent).
Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 AM   #14

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2072
Read the manual about 0 leveling the jacks. The jacks need to be taught what level is!

That should stop the front tires from coming off the ground.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #15

Model: 2012 Daybreak 28PD
State: California
THOR #556
Do not use the automatic leveling feature. It's too herky jerky and puts too much lateral stresses on the brackets and rams. The brackets that connect the jacks to the frame have bent twice. Fortunately, they were replaced under the warranty. I pre level with blocks and only level my MH manually. I never want any of the tires left off the ground.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
FWIW

This thread got me to exercise the brain yesterday and try something. My coach sitting in the driveway with the jacks retracted is one inch off level from rear to front (front being low) and is level from left to right.

My coach's system has been 0 leveled.

Yesterday, with the jacks retracted I measured the distance of the front of the coach to the driveway surface and that distance was approx. 7 1/2 inches. I also measured the distance from the bottom step to the ground and that was 2 1/2 inches.

I then went into the coach and used the Automatic Leveling and when complete I again measured the front end distance to the ground and it was 11 1/2 inches and the distance of the lower step to the ground was 5 1/4 inches.

I find it interesting that the system will raise the front end 4 inches to correct a 1 inch out of level condition. However, I will say that by doing this is creates a more comfortable condition entering and exiting the coach by raising the height of the lower step.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 AM   #17

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New Jersey
THOR #2080
Using manual levelling

I learned pretty fast that I didn't like the auto leveling. I've been using boards and plastic blocks and then stabilizing with the jacks manually. What I was wondering is whether it's possible to re-wire the system to be able to control each jack individually. I think that would make this process a lot easier. Anyone tried this?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #18

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New Jersey
THOR #2080
Of course, on further consideration, that might bend the frame. So maybe not such a good idea.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #19

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treutervid View Post
Of course, on further consideration, that might bend the frame. So maybe not such a good idea.
I agree! That is why the manufacturers recommendations are to always level in pairs - front to back and side to side. A lot of twisting pressure placed if done individually.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote