Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #1997
2015 Thor Ace ac not cooling

Dang it is hot in here. Just purchased our mh in May and doing a cross country trip. Left from FL and now in MS. Granted it is hot outside but it is 735pm and been running the ac since 130 pm and still 88 degrees inside. We have the 15k btu unit. What can we do? Also the air flow in the bedroom is hardly noticeable. Do you run the generator while driving to help cool the whole mh?

Old 08-08-2015, 01:29 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
I run my generator and the coach ac while driving sometimes. I do question is my roof ac is worth a dang sometimes. Like you stated the flow to my bedroom is terrible unless I close all the vents in the rest of the coach.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:39 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
They are not the greatest. I was told that I could install a second unit in the bedroom. The fan opening is already wired for one. I am not sure how they will get both to run on 30amp service? Anyone have ideas on this?
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:22 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
I haven't had a chance to look to see if mine is actually pre wired for the second ac but I am planning on putting a second unit over the bedroom. My plan was to change out the outlet on the side of the motorhome to a 50 amp plug and use the extra leg to power the second unit. I wish my generator was big enough to power 2 units.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:32 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
A simple suggestion and no means an insult, it took me a a while to realize they were there...have you checked, open/closed the "diverter" vents around the roof ac base? These do control whether the air gets ducted throughout.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #6

THOR #1997
I closed the diverter and still barely feel air coming out of breath vents
Old 08-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Pull those vents down the vents aare a foam that has been routed out and than glued together. On ours I found that the the ac was cooling the attic the ac was escaping at the end run wher they were joined together. I put duct tape on the ends lots colder now
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

THOR #1997
Sorry to sound stupid but how do you get in the vents? I can see how to remove the grill.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Those little round vents just pull down I thought I would break them but they come right out with some effort.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #10

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
I'm thinking my a/c unit needs to be looked at. This past Labor Day weekend it was warm where we were camping, probably upper 80's. That being said, we could not get our unit to cool below 80 degrees even running off of shore power. Earlier this year the a/c unit seemed to work fine. My concern is the a/c unit has a black cover now instead of white. A black cover wouldn't seem to dissipate much heat compared to a white cover.

As a side note, we do run our a/c while driving because we usually have more than 2 people traveling. Consequently that a/c unit has many hours on it. Not that the a/c unit has always been on, but our generator has over 400 hrs. on it in 2 years.

Thanks for listening.

Scott

2014 Thor 30.2
Old 09-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I have a Vegas 24.1 and we live in Tampa. I've run my 15k a/c with outside temps in the upper 90s. If we aren't constantly opening the door my wife gets the entire unit down to meat locker levels -- and that's with the louvers on the a/c ceiling unit closed so the air flows thru all the ducts. And we get good flow from the bedroom ducts. Sounds like your unit needs to be checked.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 AM   #12

THOR #2780
Thanks for the reply Ed. I'm of the same belief, the unit needs to be looked at in spite of what my wife may think.

Scott
Old 09-20-2015, 02:27 AM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I'm thinking my a/c unit needs to be looked at. This past Labor Day weekend it was warm where we were camping, probably upper 80's. That being said, we could not get our unit to cool below 80 degrees even running off of shore power. Earlier this year the a/c unit seemed to work fine. My concern is the a/c unit has a black cover now instead of white. A black cover wouldn't seem to dissipate much heat compared to a white cover.

As a side note, we do run our a/c while driving because we usually have more than 2 people traveling. Consequently that a/c unit has many hours on it. Not that the a/c unit has always been on, but our generator has over 400 hrs. on it in 2 years.

Thanks for listening.

Scott

2014 Thor 30.2
We have a Windsport 27K and the roof air works very well in all areas. We also have a black cover. I wonder if the black material will hold out better than the white plastic in the UV from the sun? I know black wire-ties hold out a lot better than white wire-ties.

We don't used the roof AC when traveling at high way speeds, as the engine air does a decent job. However, we've discussed hanging a curtain from the overhead bed to trap cool air in the cab area, for those very hot days when the sun beams through the big window and when we are in stop and go traffic and the engine AC doesn't work as effectively.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I have a Vegas 24.1 and we live in Tampa. I've run my 15k a/c with outside temps in the upper 90s. If we aren't constantly opening the door my wife gets the entire unit down to meat locker levels -- and that's with the louvers on the a/c ceiling unit closed so the air flows thru all the ducts. And we get good flow from the bedroom ducts. Sounds like your unit needs to be checked.
I agree with Ed. I run my A/C in my Vegas 24.1 for a hour with the temp set way down to provide the generator with a full load in my front yard in 95 degree plus temperatures in South Florida and it is a meat locker in there when I go to turn it off. I would get yours checked. Unfortunately, with the RV A/Cs there is no way to recharge the freon if there is a leak. They are pretty much throw always.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #15

THOR #2780
Gentlemen,

I agree tat my a/c unit has to be serviced. Thanks for confirming. Now it's the dreaded drop-off at the dealer once we get that appt. 2 weeks from now. Of course, here in Michigan it will be October and I'm sure they'll find that it works well.

Scott
Old 09-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Scott,
When you AC fan is running and you move the thermostat to a lower setting, do you hear the AC compressor engage? The sound inside the coach should change and your generator might sound like it has a load on it.