Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 40KQ
State: Texas
THOR #2963
2015 Tuscany 40KQ with Vizio E601i-A3 TV issues

New coach and have been out on one trip since bringing it home to Texas from Florida. 1. This TV has an additional IR Receiver on the upper left side of the TV since the original receiver is on the lower left bezel area and that is covered by the countertop that the TV fits down inside (TV moves up and down). Seems like I heard someone call this additional receiver a "buffalo", don't know where that name comes from. First of all, when I use the remote, the additional IR receiver flashes each time I push a button, so I know it is powered, but nothing happens, no channel changes, volume control, etc... I have to go to TV and point the remote at the bottom of the tv for it to work. 2. when I put a DVD into the player inside the entertainment compartment above the drivers chair, the dvd plays on the overhead tv in the cockpit, not the Vizio in the living area. I went into the inputs and changed it to each of the settings to no avail. 3. This coach has surround sound so why doesn't the Vizio play the TV thru the surround sound? Sorry for throwing so much out there, guess I could take it in and have Thor pay for the repair, but I was hoping that I was the one with the issues and the TV and entertainment system have no issues. Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions, I'll gladly accept them. This is a great coach, just would like to see the entertainment factor wow me a little more. Cheers.

----------------
Swede
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #3064
Vizio 60" Tuscany

I had the same problem with our TV. Make sure the TV is raised compleatly so the bottom of the TV is above the counter. This allows the IR beam to reach the TV. Secondly I would recomend that you switch out the splitter box with the rear one in the master Bedroom so you can eiminate a bad splitter box. I determined my issue was with the box. I had the same problem with reception of satillite reception on the Vizio.

Good Luck
Old 10-18-2015, 12:48 AM   #3

Model: 40KQ
State: Texas
THOR #2963
Thanks for the reply. TV is indeed raised all the way. Not sure why it won't go any further up. Will check the other as well, thanks again.

----------------
Swede
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Model: Tuscany 40KQ
State: Florida
THOR #2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Thanks for the reply. TV is indeed raised all the way. Not sure why it won't go any further up. Will check the other as well, thanks again.
Just resolved the same problem by installing an additional repeater www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AMTRR5K/ref=pd_aw_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41D268PDLTL&dpSrc= sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=0PBK85VPF T3Y9PVBV4PTnal
Old 11-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany RX
State: Alberta
THOR #1112
Try AB & 1,2,3, 4 buttons in different combos on your switcher if it has one. My Tuscany RX has a switcher system.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #6

THOR #2912
It seems my link above is not working. Lets try that again
Amazon.com: IR Hidden Infrared Remote Extender Receiver Emitter Repeater System: Electronics

Harry
2015.Tuscany 40KQ
2013 CRV
Old 11-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

THOR #2912
Swede,
The installation of a repeater is simple. Install the transmit part under the counter top which puts it slightly below the TV receiver IR eye, run the wire from the IR repeater receiver eye along the back of the TV to the top of the TV and mount that receiver right next to the existing receiver with the blue LED.
To complete it you have to run the power wire over to the right side of TV and in back of the TV you will find an outlet with an open socket yet, where you can plug the plug/transformed into. The other slot is occupied by the TV plug.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 40RX
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1567
The repeater at the top corner of your TV, if at all like my factory setup, is not the television...it operates the Blueray/DVD player (at least in my coach that is what it does). Your television remote won't have any affect on it, besides making it blink. If there is anything broken in your system, I would have to guess that it is the television lift that isn't raising the television all the way out of the cabinet. The few that I looked at that had the hidden television, when the television was "up", it was well clear of the top of the cabinet that housed it.

I don't have the Vizio televisions, my coach came with 4 Sony televisions, but, on the input section on the television's menu, one of the selections is "TV"; that one is for watching cable (from the outside cable input) or OTA signals. The next selection down is for watching DVD or Satellite and it is labeled BDVD/HDMI. In order to select what is actually fed to that "input" selection, I also have a Matrix HDMI controller. It has an "A" section with 4 options (labeled, logically 1-4) and a "B" section with the same 4 options. The "A" selection (on my coach) is for the overhead television (over the driver/passenger seats) and the "B" section is for the main television in the living room. To watch my satellite on the main television in the living room, the "B" section must have the #4 chosen and to watch the DVD it must have the #1 chosen (those are the inputs of the various devices). You don't have to change the television's input for watching anything that goes through the HDMI switch box...it will output whatever you have chosen (#1-#4) on the BDVD/HDMI menu selection (on my Sony televisions). Took me a while to figure all that out.

As for the surround sound for the television? Don't use it, in fact it took me a week to figure out how to disable it for the satellite and cable watching. It sounded awful (most television stations) since the signal isn't in 5.1 and the "surround sound" came out of every speaker in the coach, from the driver's area all the way back to the bedroom. Terrible echo and signal delay that was just plain awful. We found that the "surround" sound emulation of the television's built in speakers was just fine. Now, as for the DVD, I have figured out how to turn the overhead surround on, but, to be honest, we still don't use it, not even for the DVDs. The coach is not so big as to really benefit from it and none of the speakers are actually "behind" us, so, the effect is completely lost. Now this may or may not help you on the sound part. The sound is, on my coach, fed through the Jensen receiver mounted in the dash. The receiver has an "off" which is really "off" and it has a "standby" that actually looks like it is off, but, there is a faint red glow behind the main knob that lets me know that it is in "standby". In the audio menu section of the Jensen, I found the controls for what speakers play what audio inputs that routed through the Jensen. It gets very convoluted, in fact, in order to get the darned thing to stop playing the radio in the bedroom, I had to go into the fade control and shut down the "back" speakers. The killed the radio in the bedroom...made DW and the cats very happy to not have to listen to the radio every time it was on.

I don't know if any of this will help you... My dealer, while being very good at most everything I have taken to them, was at a total loss as to how Thor wired the audio/visual system and how to get various features to work. For instance, I still don't know how to get the satellite signal to the bedroom or the outside television (televisions C & D?). We watched one DVD in the bedroom and haven't used that television since. We've never turned on the television outside (we wouldn't have ordered it, but, it came with the "package"). Just to save some power, I've unplugged the television in the bedroom and the one over the driver's and passenger's seats. Back in the day, the one over the driver and passenger seats was the main television for a motorhome. Now, we have super led sets in the living room sections and I don't really know why they even bother to put one over the dash board...all kinds of safety reasons why you shouldn't/couldn't watch it while going down the road and it is located 20' from the 55 inch led unit in the living room; too close for the wife or myself to watch a separate show on each one at the same time. I would unplug the outside television, but, the unit is plugged into a socket behind the television and it isn't easy to get to. One of little jobs is to install an on/off switch next to the set that will kill the power to it. These sets consume a good deal of power that really isn't necessary for us.

To further confuse me, there is, in the audio/visual cabinet, a wall plate that is labeled "Aux/Sat" and "TV" and has the usual power button that controls whether the amp for the OTA antenna is running or not. Not a thing is plugged into it. I have no idea what it is for. It's lack of connections probably explains why I can't seem to get any OTA signals from the roof antenna, but, the connection is coax and there aren't any coax connection cables laying in the cabinet... How are you supposed to get the signal to any of the televisions? How are you supposed to control what televisions get the satellite signal beyond sets A and B? The HDMI box that feeds the A & B televisions has no C or D choices for the bedroom and the outside television... Those are my problems though and I'll probably rectify the issues by putting in an HDMI broadcast system for the bedroom and outside televisions; that is another project and real low on the list.

I hope some of the above helps, or, at least steers you in the right direction.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote