Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #281

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Maryland
THOR #3709
Congratulations on your purchase of the ACE 30.2

My wife & I have a 2016 and greatly enjoy it. We look forward to the weekend getaways with our 3 Cocker Spaniels and the longer trips with our grandchildren. Enjoy !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	4313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	4314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	4315  

Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #282

THOR #3709
We have a 2016 Thor ACE 30.2 and we have 2 Coach Batteries

The only issue I have with the coach batteries is since they are "wet" batteries, is the corrosion. Sometime soon, I need to pull them out and sand the compartment and repaint. When I do that, I am going to put the batteries in the vinyl battery boxes that Camping World sells and not place the tops on them. I have never over filled them, I guess that it is just because I kept them plugged in last winter rather than pull them out ?

Old 04-02-2017, 02:24 AM   #283

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Virginia
THOR #6054
Bought our 2017 30.2 Bunkhouse today

Spent 4 hours today going through the coach, and will have the official PDI on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised at the minor punch list issues they need to resolve.

I was also interested because I had seen some folks having complaints about the coach batteries being 'wet', but it certainly appeared to me that they were sealed batteries.

Looking forward to the road...
Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #284

THOR #3709
Digger42 Wet Batteries

Digger42 : Your coach is a year newer than mine. I think all the "newer" coach batteries are the sealed type. On my 2016, 30.2 I have to periodically check the water levels and add distilled water, which is somewhat of a pain. Therefore, I have the corrosion challenge to deal with. I purchased two of the vinyl battery boxes and plan on pulling them out then, sanding and painting the tray area with a rust proofer. After that dries, then I will coat the tray area with some of that spray on Rhino liner stuff. Finally, I will reinstall the batteries inside the vinyl boxes, but keep the tops off so that it is easy to check the water levels. When these coach batteries die, I am going with the sealed type.

One other minor issue….. Be sure that you run your shower and check for leaks. Mine came right from the factory without the inside of the shower stall being caulked around all the stall edges. First time that I ran water in the shower, it went everywhere as none of the side panels along the wall were caulked. 30 minutes and a $5.00 tube of caulk and the problem was solved. I told the dealer about it, but I did the caulk job myself as I am somewhat particular and I am also experienced in some home improvements. The dealer said what probably happened at the factory was someone yelled “lunchtime” and the worker simply forgot to caulk it. How it ever got passed the final inspections at both Thor and the dealer, well that is another story.

Other than these two minor deals, no real problems. We love ours and look forward to when we can fully retire and travel the US on “our time” Enjoy !
Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #285

THOR #6054
Sounds like a great solution for the batteries.

My shower stall was not caulked along the bottom either.....I put it on the punch list to have them fix before I pick it up.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #286

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Talking

Mine wasn't sealed along the bottom of the shower wall either and when I mentioned it at PDI I was told they leave it that way from the factory so that when it gets wet it will dry easier! I wasn't satisfied with that answer and had the dealer seal it. I've only used the shower once in 19 mos - so not worried about it for now.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #287

THOR #6054
I was told the same thing today when I picked it up. The PDI guy told me there is a lip at the base of the shower basin that will prevent water from leaking out....we'll see.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #288

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Carl,

Again sorry for the delay and hopefully this information is useful to you.

The modifications we made include the following.

1. Removed the love seat and installed a wheelchair lift in that location. The lift we had installed is similar to the type you see on public buses or motor coaches for long distance traveling. Definitely heavy duty. The we sacrificed the outside TV in order to do this. The doors to the lift do have a window in each door.

2. We had the toilet relocated to the outside wall and the vanity removed so that there was a straight (well maybe straighter) path to the bed.

3. The shower was modified so that I could my shower chair entirely in it. Unfortunately my feet stick out past the shower floor so we have to put towels down on the floor when I take a shower. I'm not very happy with this modification and would like to redo it. When General RV did this modification they put in a separate tank to collect the shower water instead of letting it drain into the black tank as originally designed. Consequently we now have a drain line that is below the bottom of the unit and is visible. To this day I cannot understand why they did this.

We purchased a portable lift system so I can be put in bed. We were under the gun in trying to get these modifications done and did not explore if we could have had an overhead lift system installed or attached to the ceiling. I believe all we need to is contact Thor and see if the ceiling could handle such a system or would it need to be reinforced.

We now would like to remove the short wall that separates the bathroom from the bunk beds. General RV initially has told us that was a load bearing wall, but the more I look at it I doubt that it is. Contacting Thor on this will also be necessary.

Hope this information is helpful and not too late. Our more immediate item is replacing the Jensen radio since we can't get it to turn off like so many other people have experienced as well.

Thanks,

Scott
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:38 AM   #289

State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Just curious why you would not have the windows to tented.

Tags
2016, 30.2, ace 30.2, advice, thor ace