Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #2902
2016 Axis- 1st shopping trip for essentials Advice PLEASE!!!

Our 1st camping trip will be this Friday so I am going to Camping World to shop for basic necessary supplies today.
Please tell me if I am missing anything or if there is something that you think is a MUST HAVE!!! I know it will take time to figure out all that we need but want to have all the essentials this trip and know your experienced RV'ers may have advice!

Black Water stuff:
Clear Sewer hose Adaptor- do we need 2? One for the attachment at the RV and one for the dump end? 90 degree or 45 degree?

Sewer hose- any specific length or brand/style?

Thing that goes into the dump station hole? not sure what that's called?

Disposable gloves

What do you store your black hose in?

White hose- how long?

Water Filter for incoming fresh water

Electrical:
30amp to household adaptor
Surge Protector- how much protection do you recommend?

Adjustable Pressure Regulator with pressure gauge or 1 @ 45psi
and 1 @ 55psi (for stronger shower pressure?)

Chemicals to Sanitize Freshwater tank
Chemicals to Winterize/Non-toxic anti-freeze?

RV Toilet Paper

Spare Fuse set

Foldaway Table

We have basic outdoor soccer chairs but if anyone has any suggestions for bigger, folding possibly reclining or rocking chairs for 300 lb 6"6" husband?

Outdoor Grill + Propane

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Stop!

Don't waste your money on RV toilet paper. Use Angel Soft from the local grocery store. AS dissolves just as well as any RV toilet paper and costs half as much.

45 or 90 degree elbow - you need to determine what will work on your coach. If I try using a 90 I'll be dumping in the storage compartment.

Depending on the sewer hose you want you can usually buy a starter kit which includes a length of hose, the end that goes into the sewer connection, a wrench for removing the campgrounds sewer cap, and an adapter for the different size sewer connections (3 or 4 inch) found at campgrounds and end caps for when the hose is disconnected.

Surge protector should be based on the amperage of your coach.

As a note, with my prior class C we went to a campground once that had 50 amp only service. Luckily they informed us when we made the reservation so I could pick up a 50 amp (campground) to 30 amp (Coach)adapter. Whe3n I bought this coach I purchased the opposite 30 amp (campground) to 50 amp (coach) adapter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Go to Walmart and get the whole sewer kit with a 10 foot extension, A 25 foot white water hose will generally handle most situations, it was not until this year after 10 years that I had to buy another 25 foot Go to the grocery store and buy septic toilet paper rubber gloves drug store or a automotive store. You will get a better deal on a portable grill at Lowes or Home depot
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Leveling blocks? An easy to clean door mat sure helps keep the crud out of the coach. We use red strap/streamers for the slide brace and antenna crank to provide visual reminders.

We carry a rollup table and a grill stand that are both are aluminum for easy clean, sturdy, compact and lightweight. A very basic cheap ultra flexible sewer host to fit in that compartment would work until you get time to make a storage tube for a hose you might like better.

Good list... have fun shopping!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Looks like you have a good list and I assume that you have never owned an RV? I will list what I do or recommend and I'm sure you will get lots of good advice from others on this forum. We all have our ways of camping with what works for us and if you are new to camping, you will find your best and easy way also. I will comment on the items below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always a Hawkeye! View Post
Our 1st camping trip will be this Friday so I am going to Camping World to shop for basic necessary supplies today.
Please tell me if I am missing anything or if there is something that you think is a MUST HAVE!!! I know it will take time to figure out all that we need but want to have all the essentials this trip and know your experienced RV'ers may have advice!

Black Water stuff:
Clear Sewer hose Adaptor- do we need 2? One for the attachment at the RV and one for the dump end? 90 degree or 45 degree?

Sewer hose- any specific length or brand/style?

Thing that goes into the dump station hole? not sure what that's called?
I use the RinoFlex or something like that from Walmart. It is around 15-20ft. long and has all the end fittings and caps you need. A clear 45 degree ell is optional. You may want to also buy what is called a "doughnut" which is a tapered foam or rubber ring for sealing at the dump hole when there is not a threaded connection. Some campgrounds have some unusual dump holes and the doughnut is required by law in some states.

[QUOTE=Disposable gloves

What do you store your black hose in?[/QUOTE]

For starters you can store in in the compartment with the dump valves or in a plastic tube or heavy duty plastic bag. Then, when you have time, you can search on this forum for some good ways of storage.

[QUOTE=White hose- how long?
Water Filter for incoming fresh water[/QUOTE]

Min. 20-25 ft. I use two 25ft. hoses with a whole house filter in the middle. It is a PIA sometimes to handle, but I have used nearly the full length more times than I can remember especially in county, state and nat. parks

[QUOTE=Electrical:
30amp to household adaptor[/QUOTE]

You may want to add a 50 to 30amp adapter also. Been to a few CG's that put me in a 50amp only site.

[QUOTE=Surge Protector- how much protection do you recommend?[/QUOTE]

I don't use one, but think it is a good idea. I check the connection with a multimeter.

[QUOTE=Adjustable Pressure Regulator with pressure gauge or 1 @ 45psi
and 1 @ 55psi (for stronger shower pressure?)[/QUOTE]

I just use a regular inline non adjustable regulator.

[QUOTE=Chemicals to Sanitize Freshwater tank[/QUOTE]

I use plain household bleach in the proper ratio; diluted and poured thru the hose at the faucet end with no carbon cartridge in filter.

[QUOTE=Chemicals to Winterize/Non-toxic anti-freeze?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if you live in a cold climate.

[QUOTE=RV Toilet Paper[/QUOTE]

Not needed. Use single ply TP and you will be ok.

[QUOTE=Spare Fuse set[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, do get a kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldaway Table[/QUOTE

We use folding tables instead of the ones that came with the Vegas.

We have basic outdoor soccer chairs but if anyone has any suggestions for bigger, folding possibly reclining or rocking chairs for 300 lb 6"6" husband?

Outdoor Grill + Propane

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
Hope you have a very good experience on your first trip. If you need any help, just ask as there is a ton of experience here.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have used the RhinoFlex sewer kit for a few years now with good results: RhinoFLEX Swivel RV Sewer Kit - Camco 39761 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World

(I like how it compresses up into a short tube). I keep the tube in the 4"x4" fencepost storage under the rear (I think you've already read the mod post where I detailed it: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html )

The rest of our black tank stuff rides in a bin in the drivers front storage bay (chemical, gloves, grey water hose for the flusher, etc.).

A 90 clear sewer adapter works perfectly on our 24.1. I keep the sewer outlet just touching the cover so the 90 works great with the bottom of the 90 just poking out of the hole when the cover's been removed.

Your dealer didn't give you a 30-amp to 15-amp plug adapter? As long as you're picking one up I'd pick up another 25' of 30-amp cord (30 Amp Extra Heavy Duty RV Extension Cordset - 25' - Furrion I30ER25-SB - Electrical Cords - Camping World). The one that comes with the Axis/Vegas is already ~20. I frequently have to use this guy.

You may find that you have water flow issues with the pressure regulators. If you can make sure you get a "high flow" one (at this point I usually don't use a regulator).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Here is my list, please note I don’t have an Axis

chemical we use Eco smart by Thetford

Sewer hose Blueline, 3 10’ sections Universal Elbow (never had any issues with this system and its not that expensive. Start with he Ultimate sewer kit.

Water Filter use Camco TastePure, works well high water flow. Its cheaper if you buy it at Amazon.

With that we have a couple of short 2’ water hoses and 1 - 15’ and 1 - 25’ large diameter hose.

Make sure you have a water Regulator, ours is a high flow (50-55psi) SS.

Electric, get an extension cord. We have a 50amp cord and use it several times a year.

Surge protect get Progressive industry Surge protecter. For us we are getting the hardwire type.

Grill, love our Baby Q by webber its a great unit. We have a hose adapter so we can use a refillable 5lb tank.

Gets some basic tools, get some extra fuses and a good entry matt so you can clean off your shoes before going into the RV.

Leveling blocks, I use both wood and plastic. The Plastic is easier to clean. I found the Try Lynx blocks work better on gravel sites.

RV chairs, look around. Your a big guy find one that you like!!!

Disposable gloves, I found Harbor freight carries them at a good price.

Cleaning your tank. Follow the directions in your manual.

TP, we get the CW two ply.

Another thing, as you are a big guy if you need to go onto your roof, I would consider a telescoping ladder.

We bought a roll up aluminum table, its doesn’t take up much room at all.

On camping world its a great place but look around I might find the something at other places cheaper.

Good luck

KC
Old 10-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #8

THOR #2628
Thought of a couple more things, Coax cable (if the RV park has fee cable).

Get a notebook so you can note issues with the RV. Also I keep notes on each campground I stay at. Noting better sites I can request next time I stay there.

KC
Old 10-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Forgot about that KC. Yes, by all means keep a punch list of things to do-fix after each trip.

We also keep a logbook of our travels which has travel times, destination, gas, grade on campground, weather etc. We had to change over to replaceable pages, two of which can be printed on a std. 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. Can't remember where I got the template, but will attempt to post if anyone is interested in using.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I bought an extension cord about ten years ago and have only used it one time. I would have been better off moving to a different site cause those babies are not cheap. Our new unit has a longer cord so I doubt now if I will ever need it again.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I did the same. Purchased one on the advice of others and the only time it was ever used is when I parked the coach on the opposite side of the driveway one night and I was too lazy to empty the refrigerator until the following morning.

One of these days I'll walk up to someone, hand them a 25 foot 30 Amp extension cord and tell them to have a good day.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #12

THOR #2628
It depends on your campground. we use our several times a year.

KC
Old 10-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford
I bought an extension cord about ten years ago and have only used it one time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
I did the same. Purchased one on the advice of others and the only time it was ever used is when I parked the coach on the opposite side of the driveway one night and I was too lazy to empty the refrigerator until the following morning.
I guess its all where you camp: I have two 25' extension cords (so I can go about 75'). Use one at least once a year and both every few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook
Also I keep notes on each campground I stay at. Noting better sites I can request next time I stay there.
I keep a binder in the camper with the map the campground gives you at check in (replacing ones with the current map if we've been there multiple times). Its organized by state. If anyone ever asks about campground XYZ I usually can pull out all the info from the campground and show them where we stayed (since they usually mark up the map with your site). At this point in time the binder is about 4" thick LOL.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
All good suggestions. I'd add using Walex Bio in the individual green pods. Drop one in the black tank after you empty. It deodorixes and digests the TP. We also restrict the amount of solids we put in the toilet
If the campground restroom is close we use that so that we put mostly liqiids in the toilet/black tank.

Also if you are using a black tank treatment that adds bacteria to help digest solid matter, don't also use bleach. Sort of defeats the reason you are using a biologic if you kill the bacteria with bleach.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
One other tip -- allow the black tank to get 1/3 or 2/3 full before dumping. The water in the tank will help loosen solid mater and desolved TP. Also let the gray water fill to 2/3 before dumping. Dump grey after black so the woosh of the grey cleans the hose.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2836
Chairs: Caravan Sports Infinity Oversized Zero Gravity Chair - Under $60 on Amazon. Great for us big guys. Warning though, be sure you have the storage capacity because these take up a lot of room. Very comfortable chair though. Two of these fit easily in the slide storage of our 2016 Thor Hurricane 27K. I also recommend getting the utility tray that is made for this chair (about $13). Holds drinks and remotes or whatever perfectly.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGonzo
Chairs: Caravan Sports Infinity Oversized Zero Gravity Chair
Warning: Zero gravity chairs are a very tight fit in a 24.1. I can barely get two into ours in the drivers side rear storage (part of the pass-through). Its like a game of Tetris trying to get them in.
I usually leave them at home if I know we won't be needing them (purchased them when we had the 5th wheel with a bit more storage space).
Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We use Rhino flex hose and it works well. The 110 adaptor is a must we are sitting in Phoenix and plugged in at my sons house which keeps us from using gas for frig or having to unload it. Since we don't tow a car I have a car rack in the hitch with two storage boxes bolted on the back. My hose gores in bumper and I keep all my other necessary cords and hoses etc etc in the boxes on the back instead of in our basement storage. We also have the Weber grill mentioned earlier and I also have a griddle to use on it. Like all of us you will add stuff as you go, Have fun.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Forgot one thing we use a filter whenever we put water in the RV either city or in the tank we filter everything.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1122
One thing I would recommend is check the size of your cooler if you use one, that will fit in the back. I have 3 coolers and only the regular sized one will fit in there ok. the other two are to big (tall).