Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
2016 Thor Vegas 24.1 3 Year Summary

We have had this unit for 3 years and 24,000 miles.

Unit continues to function without issue. Still gets used a minimum of twice a month for local races. Will be taking disabled sister in law to ocean side campground to see how she fares ahead of Fort Wilderness trip late August.

I resealed joints on roof as I saw some cracking. No evidence of any leaks yet. I resealed all side wall penetrations with clear rtv silicone.

Unit continues to get same MPG, 9 to 11. Oil changes at 4,000 miles and quarterly inspection of electrical connections and tightening everything and anything that may loosen when going down road.

Will add 2nd a/c soon. Considering replacing sway bars but unit handles good enough to not make it high priority. After initial crown wore off front tires the only real issue is crosswinds. Passing trucks have little to no impact. Tire wear on front is excellent, at current rate tires will be replaced due to age not wear.

Overall I would give unit 5 out of 5 stars. Being my first ever Ford, I am suitably impressed with the drive train. Power, braking and handling are fine for a 13,000 lb mobile house, 18,000 lb with open race car trailer.

On the Thor side unit is well laid out and very usable. Fit and finish matches its price point. We have no complaints. Whether a quick overnight trip, a few days at Disney or an extended race weekend, it is very effective. We have lived in it twice for over 2 weeks with only complaint from me being small shower. Wife fits in it fine.

I think after 3 years, we made right choice and would definitely do it again. All thoughts of going bigger are gone, this thing fits what we do that good.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Cool.

We've had ours longer (2014) but have fewer miles on it: sadly we don't get to use it as much as we'd like to.

Still; been able to take it on a few longer trips with some more planned for this summer. Overall its been a great RV.

Haven't had any serious issues with it mostly minor ones (and some caused by yours truly LOL).

Also getting between 9 and 11 which frequently stays on the 9 side due to towing + speed.

Still find it interesting that ours built on the E-350 chassis scaled out at 11,500 lbs (I'm sure we're up to 12k now--still 1k less then you).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #3

THOR #5313
Race car spares and tools in back compartment along with a full water tank makes it heavy. I pull the racecar stuff out for vacation trips, then unit is a lot lighter.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Thanks for sharing that. We just passed our 4th anniversary with our Vegas 25.2. We have almost 30K on it, almost all towing. My assessment matches yours, with no major complaints and a understanding of "price point."

I just brought ours back from the shop after having Hellwig bars installed, front and back. On the short drive back, I could tell a marked improvement in handling. Is that worth $1150? Ask me after our next big trip!

I've had smaller and larger. For us and the way we travel, the Vegas is a good match. I call it our "Goldilocks" coach.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:41 AM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This thread is a breath of fresh air.
Malcontent overtones seem to permeate just about every thread.
Thanks for starting this thread. I was beginning to believe that perhaps I was the only person on the site without ptsd inducing complaint about bent trim and and pump noise and such.

I too never had less than 9mpg, seldom touches 11mpg. I BEAT that engine. I was headed for a full-on perterbuilt custom build until I drove the 24.1. I didn't know rv's could actually do that sort of acceleration and speed and hill climbing. I was refusing to be that guy holding up traffic, so we were designing the peterbuilt. (a Pete because I couldn't find the old autocar 4x4 I wanted)
Owning this quite adequate little rv has given me a new disrespect for rv drivers. I guess they do own the road and expect a lot they didn't pay for.

I see my 24.1 as the IKEA type thing I paid for. I glue and paint and modify the ikea Coffee table until it's my own. I do the same to my 24.1 It runs as fast and quick and steady as if I had built that $390,000 Pete(with the same size coach). And it will be as fine as the custom Pete once I finish with the wonderful starter that this 24.1 is.
I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. My not paying attention before the close of the sale is not a fault I'd admit to.

Once again, thanks for the positive post.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

THOR #5313
Thanks guys. This unit has really impressed me.

We looked at a Sunstar and an ACE as well. When I ran numbers for GVWR, GCVW and payload the Vegas on e450 looked to give us a good match. We would have been pushing e350 to limits.

With the Vegas we can add a 2nd A/C unit to give us redundancy when traveling. We have a Champion 3500 generator mounted on race car trailer for power at track. It runs 9 to 16 hours on 3.6 gallons of gas. The Onan only gets used on road or as backup to cheap generator when refueling. The Onan has less than 400 hours, the champion could well be 4000 hours. Even the 500 lb tongue weight limitation has been no issue. We carry an impressive amount of spares for racecar. Unit can also be fully used with slides in.

All this and we can unhook trailer and go to parts store or grocery store. Stopping for fuel is easy, have only skipped 2 or 3 gas stations in the time we have had due to cramped space.

We are very happy with this unit. Is like our our 2007 Suburban only bigger.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I’ll add my two cents. We owned a 2014 Vegas for two years (24,000 miles including a 14,000 mile trip to Alaska) and a 2016 Axis for the last 3 Years (27,000 miles). Just finished a 2000 mile, month long trip from Florida to Nova Scotia. We have had a few issues with ours over the 5 years which I have documented in this forum. We owned two RVs before the Vegas as well as several 27-36’ power and sail boats, so I have some varied experience in construction and maintenance issues. All in all, I have been very happy with both the Vegas and the Axis. I have complained about the fit and finish of the RVs in the last, but when you factor in the price, I cannot complain too loudly. Most of the problems I have been able to solve myself with minimal expense. And we sure have really enjoyed ours - from a 4 month trip to Alaska, and long trips out West and several to NE Canada. I do not regret buying either the Vegas or Axis. I look at all the new ones that come out and have examined bigger ones on the F53 chassis including Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago and the new Tiffin Class C, but have not found anything that we liked better than our Axis, no matter the price.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:24 AM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #8849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I’ll add my two cents. We owned a 2014 Vegas for two years (24,000 miles including a 14,000 mile trip to Alaska) and a 2016 Axis for the last 3 Years (27,000 miles). Just finished a 2000 mile, month long trip from Florida to Nova Scotia. We have had a few issues with ours over the 5 years which I have documented in this forum. We owned two RVs before the Vegas as well as several 27-36’ power and sail boats, so I have some varied experience in construction and maintenance issues. All in all, I have been very happy with both the Vegas and the Axis. I have complained about the fit and finish of the RVs in the last, but when you factor in the price, I cannot complain too loudly. Most of the problems I have been able to solve myself with minimal expense. And we sure have really enjoyed ours - from a 4 month trip to Alaska, and long trips out West and several to NE Canada. I do not regret buying either the Vegas or Axis. I look at all the new ones that come out and have examined bigger ones on the F53 chassis including Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago and the new Tiffin Class C, but have not found anything that we liked better than our Axis, no matter the price.
WOW positive comments!
Our 2016 axis 24.1 450 which has never let us down, requires constant preventative maintaince.
Which I truly enjoy!
Being retired maybe we are less stressed about the "little things".
Rick Auz
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #15685
Positivity?? Spent a lot of time on here before we purchased ( before we registered here). Had I seen all the positive comments it would have cut my “research” in half and we would have purchased sooner.

Although, knowing that my wife always gets what she wants I don’t even know why I bother with research?

As for,positive comments, we’re still newbies and still don’t know what we don’t know but we love our Vegas 24.1. The little things that we’ve had to correct weren’t unexpected and the learning curve has been greatly reduced due to both this forum and the guide produced by Ed Felker
Old 06-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #10

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #12326
1 year, 8,000 miles. Did my "need" mods first few months. So far mostly used as the softball dads hang out during tournaments, awesome how I can back into a normal spot. Glamis a handful of times and super impressed on traction in dirt/sand compared to old DP with same trailer in tow. Love how universal it is. my only gripe is the size of the shower. I'm trying to figure out in my head if I can turn the whole bathroom into a wet shower and add another drain in the floor. If anyone figures that out please let me know.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:57 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby!!! View Post
1 year, 8,000 miles. Did my "need" mods first few months. So far mostly used as the softball dads hang out during tournaments, awesome how I can back into a normal spot. Glamis a handful of times and super impressed on traction in dirt/sand compared to old DP with same trailer in tow. Love how universal it is. my only gripe is the size of the shower. I'm trying to figure out in my head if I can turn the whole bathroom into a wet shower and add another drain in the floor. If anyone figures that out please let me know.
How much time do you spend in the shower? I would think you would run out of hot water?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:01 AM   #12

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #12326
nope, it came with a tankless
Old 06-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #13

THOR #1765
Lucky you!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #14

THOR #5313
I had thought of wet bath. Did not seem practical. Thinking instead outside portable shower curtsin setup along with longer outside hose. I can live without much hot water but having to work on car into wee hours and being coated in grease and sweat can be frustrating in small shower at 6 ft, 240. At worse just an extension on outside shower would work along with loose gym shorts. Then wife can use scrubber on my back where bad shoulder stops me from reaching.

I got buddies that use outside shower to shave. Wife uses it to clean dog when needed.

Even looking at camp style independent shower stall.