Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
2016 Vegas Chassis Battery Replacement

Hey Everyone, Hope you all are safe and sound. I have decided to replace my Chassis battery. It has let me down on 2 occasions. The battery was new in March 2016. I checked for a draw on the battery and only had .03 volts draining the battery. I figured that was for the radio memory clock and settings, and computer stuff. The battery has to come out through the passenger side dash panel. Only 12 screws to remove. The next obstacle/surprise was black duct tape covering the hole the battery comes out of. A 5/16" socket wrench loosens the terminals. There was not any hold downs for the battery. After carefully moving a few dangling wires out of the way I was able to lift the battery out. The battery is a group 24F 750 amp, Exide battery. I have taken a couple of measurements and it looks like I can get the 65N 850 amp battery in. I will strap it down and install a battery isolator. Spray the terminals with the red anti corrosive stuff and seal it up. I am thinking of replacing the duct tape with a piece of sheet metal with a thin piece of weather striping under it. Oh yea by the way I purchased the coach 2nd hand with 1700 miles on it, I did purchase the warranty but the trip to the shop would take longer than just replacing it myself. I will let you all know how this turns out. I should finish it tomorrow evening!

Old 12-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Interesting. Did you buy the coach new? Which would mean that Thor cut the hole at the factory and sealed it with duct tape? Please post how your battery upgrade fit goes. I will be interested. Also interested in whether it solves your battery problem or if, over time, you find that the small battery drains still draw down your battery enough to give you issues. I will have to go pull the table and check mine out and see if Thor cut a hole in mine. I would like to clean and treat my battery posts too, but it is really hard to get to the negative post. At least I installed a quick fill so that I can easily keep the battery topped off with water.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5337
I also have a 2016 Vegas and had the original battery replaced two weeks after I purchased the MH. The local garage that does my auto repair replaced the battery with a 850 battery. When they replaced it they took off the passenger front wheel and the inner fender (only 5 bolts) and one person below the battery and one person in front of the MH worked on top to guide the battery in place. While they were doing this task I had them install a battery disconnect. I too live 3 hours from the dealership so I took the cost on myself.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

THOR #1765
I thought you might be able to lift it out of the tray in the 2016 and possibly squeeze it out without doing it from inside the coach, but I never thought of removing the wheel and inner fender. In the 2014, I do not believe that would be possible because it looks like the battery is mounted higher than in the 2016. If I do it myself, I believe it would be easier to do it from inside. Good thing to know, however. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
While doing the PDI for my 2016 Vegas, it became evident that the chassis battery was not up to snuff. The dealer willingly installed a new battery...and did so from inside the coach....removing the fold out desk on the passenger side of the dash. There was a sealed access portal located directly below the desk and above the battery, where it was easily lifted out and a new one set down in its place...in just a very few minutes.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:22 AM   #6

THOR #5494
Hello everyone, Well I finished removing and replacing the battery on my 2016 Vegas. As mentioned earlier I removed the battery out through the inside passenger side dash. The plastic battery tray that was in their was made just right for a 65N 850 Cold Crank Amp battery. The mounting device was with it. I did not need to strap it down. It is mounted like it would have been if it came from Ford. I did install the Knife style disconnect. I then put some of the HVAC tape around the plywood, then some real tin weather striping down. Then I placed a 16x 15.25 piece of sheet metal over the battery access hole and put screws in it. I then put down a strip of duct tape around the edges. I will put a pic on here. Its really hard to see the battery in the hole.Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery access .jpg
Views:	895
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	3586

Click image for larger version

Name:	Access cover.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	3587
Old 12-21-2016, 03:34 AM   #7

THOR #5494
I have found what I think is an issue just not sure where to start. The emergency start does not work. There is a relay that stays hot even though the house batteries are in store mode. I cut off a breaker at the house batteries under steps and the power at the relay on the drivers side goes from 13 volts to .3 volts. Why does this relay stay hot. It just seems to me that after placing the house switch in store mode there should not be any power to the relay at the front driver side. Seems like something has been wired wrong. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke
I have found what I think is an issue just not sure where to start. The emergency start does not work. There is a relay that stays hot even though the house batteries are in store mode. I cut off a breaker at the house batteries under steps and the power at the relay on the drivers side goes from 13 volts to .3 volts. Why does this relay stay hot. It just seems to me that after placing the house switch in store mode there should not be any power to the relay at the front driver side. Seems like something has been wired wrong. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Go here and download Ed's Axis/Vegas manual: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
Read up in the section on the BIRD and Trombetta.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke View Post
Hello everyone, Well I finished removing and replacing the battery on my 2016 Vegas. As mentioned earlier I removed the battery out through the inside passenger side dash. The plastic battery tray that was in their was made just right for a 65N 850 Cold Crank Amp battery. The mounting device was with it. I did not need to strap it down. It is mounted like it would have been if it came from Ford. I did install the Knife style disconnect. I then put some of the HVAC tape around the plywood, then some real tin weather striping down. Then I placed a 16x 15.25 piece of sheet metal over the battery access hole and put screws in it. I then put down a strip of duct tape around the edges. I will put a pic on here. Its really hard to see the battery in the hole.Attachment 3586

Attachment 3587
Good job. You make it look/sound easy. Will you be available when mine goes kaput?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Quote:
I'm not sure what relay you are talking about? Do you mean the trombetta solenoid on the right side of the engine compartment (as you are standing in front of the RV). Both sides of the Trombetta stay "hot" even if the house batteries are in store mode. Store mode does not disconnect the battery from the trombetta, it separates the house battery from the coach. You can confirm this by measuring the voltage at the house batteries when the engine is running. The house batteries will charge even in store mode with the engine running. The house batteries will not charge in store mode when the generator is running or you are on shore power. The breaker in the battery box cuts the house batteries off from everything. If that is tripped, the left hand post of the trombetta (as you are facing it from the front of the RV) should read approx 0 volts and the right hand post of the trombetta should read the voltage of the starting battery. As for your emergency start switch not working, what leads you to believe that? Did you have a dead start battery and tried to start with the house batteries and it did not work? The way to test if the the emergency start switch is working is to let your house batteries bleed down to about .3v below your starting battery. While your measure the voltage at the posts of the trombetta have someone push the emergency start. This connects the two battery systems and the house batteries should increase in voltage and the starting battery decrease in voltage until they read the same.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #11

THOR #5494
Thank you Jamiegeek I will.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #12

THOR #5494
Hello Oneilkeys, it is the trombetta solenoid that I was referring to. I appreciate you explaining the flow to me. I have never seen a system like this. I try to start the engine with a dead battery. I will try your suggestion on trying it again with a run down battery .3volts. You had asked me in an earlier post when I was talking about the duct tape over the hole, if I purchased the coach new or used. It was used with 1700 miles on it. I never thought to ask if the battery was ever replaced. The Coach was put into service around March and the battery that I removed had markings on it stating that it was made in March. Hey after reading your write up about how this system works sure does make me feel a little better. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #13

THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Good job. You make it look/sound easy. Will you be available when mine goes kaput?
I will be happy to help. I don't like to go to the shop and if I can help someone else from having to go to the shop I will!
Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #14
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
... I try to start the engine with a dead battery. ...
The emergency start is the same as trying a jump start - interconnecting the 2 sets of batteries... Ever have a car that wouldn't take a jump start? I know I have... And many cases needed some time to 'charge' before it would start? Same can still happen here.

It's great to have the option - and often will work, but it isn't perfect... A really dead battery may be unable to start even with emergency start - or an external jump start.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:45 AM   #15

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
how do i get to the 12 screws?are they under dash?
Old 12-22-2016, 02:38 AM   #16

THOR #5494
Hello tigwelder, there are 2 screws under the 2 forward tray black mats,(closer to the windshield), there are 4 screws on each side that holds the folding desk ( black colored bracket), after the folding desk is removed you will see 2 more screws in the corners under the folding desk bracket. Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #17

THOR #5494
Hello gmc, I guess I have not thought about it like that. I will have to keep that in mind. Thank you,
Chuck
Old 12-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #18

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Chassis Battery Issue

Speaking of the chassis battery.... Some of you know I have posted this question before regarding if the generator puts a charge on the chassis battery. My chassis battery went dead after being parked for three days and occasionally using the front dash radio.

My service writer at Giant RV told me that the chassis and coach batteries are separate when it comes to the generator. The generator does not charge the chassis battery. He suggested that I may need a new chassis battery which I don't doubt.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 AM   #19

THOR #1765
I believe that he is wrong. You can easily check for yourself. Turn on the generator and check the starter battery voltage at the trombetta or the start battery inself. You will see that the voltage in the starter battery increases with the generator running - meaning that the generator is charging the starter battery as well as the coach battery(ies). The system is built so the BIRD senses the voltage at the chassis and starter battery and opens the trombetta to charge both systems at the same time. As long as your store/use switch is in the use mode, either the generator or shore power will charge the house battery(ies) until they get up to about 12.8v and then the BIRD will open the trombetta to charge the starter battery. The engine alternator will charge the house battery(ies) even if the Use store switch is in the store mode.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 AM   #20
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Speaking of the chassis battery.... Some of you know I have posted this question before regarding if the generator puts a charge on the chassis battery. My chassis battery went dead after being parked for three days and occasionally using the front dash radio.

My service writer at Giant RV told me that the chassis and coach batteries are separate when it comes to the generator. The generator does not charge the chassis battery. He suggested that I may need a new chassis battery which I don't doubt.
There is no difference between running on Shore Power vs Generator as far as the converter and charge circuits know... The only device that knows the difference is the transfer switch - and what power it is allowing into the RV...

A properly wired and functioning Axis (equipped with BCC or BIRD/Trombetta - all described on this forum and in Ed's manual) should charge BOTH the coach and chassis battery from any of shore power, generator, or alternator...

Certainly running the battery dead isn't good for its life - you may need new one - or may be able to charge it back up - but should find out why it is not charging properly.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote