Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2017, 05:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34j
State: New Jersey
THOR #7366
Not level after slide out

Hi there

We recently purchased a 2017 34j hurricane. We've been camping a few times and one thing we noticed is the leveling of the rv. Once parked we would auto level and then put the slide out. After the slide was out we felt like the rv was leaning slightly. We tried bringing in the slide and jacks and starting over but the same thing happened.

We are new to the rv world so any info would be greatly appreciated. We are bringing it into the dealer in a few weeks to have a few other things taken care of so it will be addressed then. In the meantime just wondering what it could be.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrv View Post
Hi there

We recently purchased a 2017 34j hurricane. We've been camping a few times and one thing we noticed is the leveling of the rv. Once parked we would auto level and then put the slide out. After the slide was out we felt like the rv was leaning slightly. We tried bringing in the slide and jacks and starting over but the same thing happened.

We are new to the rv world so any info would be greatly appreciated. We are bringing it into the dealer in a few weeks to have a few other things taken care of so it will be addressed then. In the meantime just wondering what it could be.

Thanks!
If this is a recurring event then level the coach, extend the slide, then manually extend the appropriate jacks until the coach is level and then re-calibrate the level point for the jack system.

A few of us have had to do this to compensate for extending slides after leveling.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
You said you "felt like you were leaning". A 4-jack auto level Lippert system should not drop to one side or become out of level just because a slid goes out. I would utilize an actual level to confirm that this is happening. If you don't have a level you can download one of several free apps and use your I-phone as a level. Just place a leveling device on a counter and do your auto level. As you put the slide out watch your leveling device and see if it changes.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
In my case - DW thinks its leaning after putting out the slide... so a level doesn't matter..
Our larger slide is on the drivers side... I go just a touch past level on that side before deploying the slide - and she is happy.

Deploying the slide certainly alters the weight distribution... If the full load is on the jacks - it shouldn't make a difference - but if the suspension is in play at all - it certainly can shift.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
We do the same, either Auto level, or manual, then add a little 'extra' to the driver side so that the weight of the slide 'offsets' it...

I've found that I can easily 'Manually' level the coach myself since it seems like using the 'Auto' function brings the coach up much higher than needed - once you feel the levelers on each side/end bringing up the coach, you've already taken the weight off the suspension...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:11 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
As had already been mentioned, if you are on your suspension at all, even with jacks deployed, when the slides go out you will list a little to that side. I leave it alone because I prefer the AC to drain to that side anyway. Perfectly level it always drains over the awning and drips onto our mat.