Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
? For 2017 - 2019 Axis/Vegas Owners

Thor has introduced a number of changes and enhancements over the last three years and I’m wondering how those have been received. Some of the things I’m curious about the placement of the microwave, the two burner stove top, the wind sensor on the electric awning and the electric levelers or braces, whatever they’re calling them. A couple of other things of interest are the solar pre-wiring and the propane outlet for grills.

The question(s) are do you love them or hate them? Or just haven’t noticed them? Did you upgrade from something else to get those features and if so, do you think it was worth it?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, Those are some of the reasons we went with thr 2017 model. The 2018 just came out and me and my wife did not like the interior styling ("Europeon"), or the knee high micowave, you loose the vent hood on the 2018, I noticed the awning flap aound more without the arms but the propane port is a great bonus.

Two buner stove and solar wiring were not a big deal to me.

I added my own black flush and I will do solar myself sometime this year.

But I do like the larger kitchen window on the 2018 models.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

THOR #12231
If they had a 27.7 floor plan I might have purchased that one instead. But I would miss my 70 cu foot of storage (the most of all the A / V floor plan). I have plenty of room (make it easy to find what I need) and I tote out my trash and recycle stuff if needed with room to spare. We love out 25.4 floor plan... its a shame they dropped it now.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
New RV technology systems

I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS with electric rear stabilizers, 100 watt solar panel/charging system (summit package) and mobile eye driving system. I upgraded by adding the Equalizer Hydraulic Leveling System. I looked at the HWH Leveling system and went with the Equalizer System. It makes life nicer inside when parked. The 100 watt solar charging system keeps my house batteries charged. The mobile eye driving system works great. Apparently truck drivers have been using this system for many years and now the RV industry is installing them.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
2017 vs 2018/19 Vegas 24.1

i purchased a new end of year '17 vs new '18:

Things i like on my '17 vs '18/19...
- micro/convection oven is at eye level on '17 vs M/C oven is near the floor on '18/19 so you gotta bend over and use a flashlight to see the controls
- i saved lots & lots of money on new end of year '17 vs '18. probably the primary reason for purchase

Things i don't like on my '17 vs '18/19...
- plastic kitchen sink and bath sink on '17 vs stainless on '18/19. i've recently changed them out to stainless, about $125
- bath sink faucet on my '17 is a cheap two handle vs '18/19 is a single handle. i've recently changed out to a tall single handle, about $35
- wedgewood-vision cooktop is large & elevated on '17 so i get less usable counter space vs the '18/19 which has the burners recessed with a built-in cover. wish i had that
- little window in kitchen in the '17 vs large window in 18/19 (but i get an exhaust fan above the cooktop in the '17)
- no solar wiring in the '17 vs '18/19 (but that's ok, i can do it myself)

Things i'm neutral about, '17 vs '18/19...
- aero-style cabinets...i don't care either way
- interior vinyl seat colors...i don't care either way

i think everything else is the same
Old 01-31-2019, 01:59 AM   #6

THOR #12231
Yeah I forgot about the kitchen sink. I was going to replace mine right away but the two thinks I like about the plastic sink is:

1). We put stuff in it while traveling (coffee cups, cookies, odds and ends) so they dont get tossed around but the SS sink migth be noisier?

2). At night with thr light on over the sink - you can see under the sink pretty good but the SS will block it.

3). Wont get dented.

But sometimes I find myslelf wanting to put a hot pan it it. So im sure that will be my downfall sooner or later then I will update with a SS one.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:07 AM   #7

THOR #13362
all good points

One more thing...
- The ‘17 Vegas/Axis was the last year for the porch light
‘18/19...no porch light
Old 01-31-2019, 03:32 AM   #8

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah I forgot about the kitchen sink. I was going to replace mine right away but the two thinks I like about the plastic sink is:

1). We put stuff in it while traveling (coffee cups, cookies, odds and ends) so they dont get tossed around but the SS sink migth be noisier?

2). At night with thr light on over the sink - you can see under the sink pretty good but the SS will block it.

3). Wont get dented.

But sometimes I find myslelf wanting to put a hot pan it it. So im sure that will be my downfall sooner or later then I will update with a SS one.

Hello, I put stuff in my SS Sink while traveling just put a towel in sink first.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
all good points

One more thing...
- The ‘17 Vegas/Axis was the last year for the porch light
‘18/19...no porch light
Doesn't 18/19 have the light in the awning in lieu of the porch light?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 AM   #10

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Doesn't 18/19 have the light in the awning in lieu of the porch light?
My ‘17 has both led porch + led awning
Build date was 10/16
New purchase date was 8/18

It sat somewhere for a while, a long while...
Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #11

THOR #12231
I think the 18's put the awning light strip on the side of the RV so that works as both even when awning is retracted.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Hello, I put stuff in my SS Sink while traveling just put a towel in sink first.
Yeah I figured thats what I will do.

One of these days I will put a hot pan in the sink and that will be it for the plastic sink. Even if it dont burn a hold it will look bad to me. So I will just hold off for now on that mod.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Had a 17, had to stand on stool to use microwave, loved the real cabinets, not very much counter space, traded it in on 2018, 27.7 model, great counter space, put the step stool away, don’t use the new propane hookup, hate the crummy European cheap cabinets
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
We chose the 2018 for the big kitchen window. Everything else can be more easily changed as we go. If a microwave is up, I need a stool, so down is actually easier. If I need a large ( big free) prep area, I have the whole flat kitchen counter. I do miss a porch light. The awning light is a bit too much early in the morning. So that's on my list to add. I had the dealer install a Max Air fan in the front as part of the deal to make up for the lack of a range vent fan. It works well. We try to cook outside as much as possible anyway. That's where the propane outlet comes in handy.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Can anyone tell me what the big differences between a ‘18 & a ‘19 are? I’ve been offered an end of year new ‘18 27.7 for $69,990, which I think is a pretty good starting point.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Can anyone tell me what the big differences between a ‘18 & a ‘19 are? I’ve been offered an end of year new ‘18 27.7 for $69,990, which I think is a pretty good starting point.
Not much, 19's come standard with a 10 amp solar controler already installed next to the entrance way... .so all you have to do is install your own 100 to 200 (max) solar panels on the roof and your good to go.

Plus the propane gill line moved from the rear (just hanging down low) to a little door by the entrance way (must better IMO).

and maybe one or two small things but not much differnce either way.

Pick the cheapest one IMO.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
I really like the eye level Microwave on mine and all the drawer space. However the microwave enclosure has no ventilation so the microwave overheats anytime you use it for more than 15 minutes. The fans still run but there is a little click and the magnatron cycles off until it cools down. Cant use the convection option either for the same reason.

I must admit however I would love to have that extra window. Currently you are very blind on the right side pulling into traffic at an intersection.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #14306
I believe the 19 also comes with a digital controller on the entrance way
Old 02-14-2019, 01:15 AM   #19

THOR #12231
Yes, I mentioned Solar Contoler already. Must must diff between 18 and 19 so go with the cheapest one IMO.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:42 AM   #20

State: Florida
THOR #14306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes, I mentioned Solar Contoler already. Must must diff between 18 and 19 so go with the cheapest one IMO.
I am assuming that is the name of controller? The reason I ask is it does all the functions for the coach ie check battery charge level, tanks levels, etc