Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #11235
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2

Alright Guys, Trying understand the TV connections on my RV. It has two TVs inside and one outside. All connected to the antenna on the roof.
This past weekend we went to an RV site that had cable TV. Luckily I had a cable in the storage box just in case.
So, here's the question, do I need a cable box in the RV to make this process work or do I just plug the cable in outside in the utilities compartment and press the little green button on the cable outlet inside the RV?
I wasn't sure so I bought an RF cable box at Walmart and connected it. After fiddling with it for several hours I ended up getting all 30 cable channel to come up inside the RV. However, according to the RV manual, the outside TV will not work with the cable TV. Not sure what the point of that is but if you know, please share.

Appreciate any of your comments on both questions.

Thanks, Rick

Old 05-31-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
just the connection, and the scan of your TVs to 'cable' should work, no need to push any buttons, as the button is only to energize your roof antenna, not Cable.
if you have a 'box of many buttons' above the living room entertainment center/cabinet, then you will want whichever TVs on 'Cable' that you want to watch cable tv on.

it's doubtful that you need any type of 'box', unless the park's Cable system requires it.

also, all three TVs should be wired to either Antenna or Cable, and should work just like all the rest, whether outside or inside : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
On our 17 ACE when connecting to a cable system, we have to turn the outside antenna off (green light out) otherwise the cable signal is fuzzy.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #4

THOR #11235
Do you have to have a cable box inside the RV to get cable channels on our TVs? We tried it without the added cable box (like in your home) and did not get any cable channels.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:25 PM   #5

THOR #11235
So, we already tried what you are suggesting an no cable channels were found by the TV. The cable box I am referring to is like the one you have in your home that allows you to pick up a cable channel through your TV.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
unless the park where you are hooked up to Cable at REQUIRES a 'cable box', then no, you don't need anything other than the coax cable that you hook at their connection to your connection

within your coach, you may have a 'entertainment box'(nothing to do with 'cable' tv like the one at your 'home') that SWITCHES your viewing platform for each TV to the input source you want to watch, such as either Antenna or Cable. If this unit has any type of 'ON' button, do NOT turn it on for Cable, only for Antenna.
If you have a wall plate with a small 'ON' button, only use it when you want to watch ANTENNA tv.

Now, EACH TV also has to change it's INPUT to 'Cable', and a new scan of channels executed.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote