Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: VEGAS
State: California
THOR #3113
Leg Room

I'm 6'4' . There is plenty of room for my long legs. lol They are certainly marketing to the younger market. The interior tells that story. Its still a Motor Home to me.. LOL

Old 01-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #62

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
What make these rigs RUV's. I think the marketing of them sales them as weekend or short term coaches. They have a lot of features of the larger RV's but with a smaller footprint. However, they drive like Suv's if you get a good alignment and upgraded sway bars. The originals were not too much longer then a SUV anyways.
I got hung up on that RUV designation since we got our 23TR, but I cconsidered them small cut away cab similar to Class C but lower and narrower. That is a very nice looking rig.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 AM   #63
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah RUV is just a marketing term made up by Thor to set those rigs apart from others.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #64

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
27.7 Differences #1

I promised earlier to discuss some of the differences between my 2018 Vegas 27.7 and my former 2016 Vegas 25.3. Bad weather and other obligations delayed the post, but here are some things I've noticed inside...more to follow. I'll just address matters that are not already shown and/or described in the factory literature.

The raised floor under the driver and passenger seats is a few inches shorter in length, providing a little less floor storage behind those seats. This is because space is needed for the front slide to move in and out.

The dinette has storage only under the forward seat. Under the back seat is not accessible, and I think this contains the slide mechanism, although I haven't opened it up yet. The dinette storage is in the form of a handy under-seat drawer, where the 25.3 required removing the seating to access the storage area. I am very disappointed in the dinette table as it seems weaker and less stable than the one in the 25.3.

Since there is a couch in the 27.7, there is a reasonable amount of storage under the couch, but is only accessible by raising the couch...there is no door or drawer.

The entrance door and the locks are different, and the door opening seems smaller than on the 25.3. I haven't measured, but I'm a pretty good size man, and I can tell there is a difference.

Since the microwave/oven are mounted below the cooktop, there is no range hood/vent in the 27.7. While it looks sleeker my wife is displeased. She collected magnets from all our stops and liked to display them on the steel range hood until we got home.

Since the kitchen is now "L" shaped, the drawers and door on the sink side are not accessible when the dinette slide is in. This takes a little advance planning to make sure anything needed while traveling is stored in an accessible cabinet. Also, the under sink garbage can is not accessible. Last, the 25.3 came with a garbage can, the 27.7 did not.

The drop-down portion of the kitchen counter does not lock, and banged against the cabinet on the way home from the dealer...I'll have to find a way to tie it down before traveling.

There is a closet just inside the entrance door that is a great addition by Thor. It is big enough to hold coats, umbrellas, etc. And above it is an open storage shelf big enough to hold the harnesses and leashes for our three dogs so that they are right by the door when needed. The shelf is deep enough that none of this shows while stored.

On the 25.3, the switch to turn on the interior lights was right by the steps, allowing you to turn on the lights before entering the coach. On the 27.7 one must go up the steps and reach around the corner to the left to turn on the lights.

All the windows in the dinette - couch - kitchen area are tilt-out type windows...none of them slide. I prefer the slide so they can be open while driving. I'm apprehensive about driving with tilt windows sticking out.

There is about the same amount of cabinet space in the kitchen area, but less over the couch than there was over the dinette in the 25.3. There is no storage over the dinette in the 27.7 as the 40" TV is mounted there.

The dash and overhead bunk are the same as on the 25.3.

There is LED strip lighting above all the cabinets, and these are individually switched so they can be used as night lights, a nice feature that the 25.3 did not have.

More to come as time allows.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #65

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2817
Nice write-up, thanks. It's inexcusable that Thor didn't provide a lock for the kitchen counter extension. Having to climb the stairs to turn on the lights is a real no-no. But a quick trip to Harbor Freight or Rural King will get you an inexpensive stick-on battery powered LED light with switch. The LEDs under the cabinets are a great idea.

Our dinette didn't have any storage, but it does now because I replaced the fold up bed with a seat for a pontoon boat. Very comfortable too.

Best of luck with your new RV.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:25 AM   #66

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Having to climb the stairs to turn on the lights is a real no-no.

The flip side of that is that this is the only switch for those hall lights. So to turn them off at bed time you have to get down in the stairwell. I prefer the new position.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:26 AM   #67

THOR #6999
Locknut, thanks for the write up. There's nothing like real first hand experience. I'm wondering if the new door keys will find their way into all of the floorpans one r the next few months?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:32 AM   #68

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Great review, Locknut. Thanks. Care to comment on the outside storage?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:44 AM   #69

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Having to climb the stairs to turn on the lights is a real no-no.

The flip side of that is that this is the only switch for those hall lights. So to turn them off at bed time you have to get down in the stairwell. I prefer the new position.
I didn't realize that was the only switch. Our Windsport 27K has two-three way switches for the ceiling lights, one accessible from the door and one on the wall near the bathroom in the kitchen area.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:55 AM   #70

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Great review, Locknut. Thanks. Care to comment on the outside storage?
I'll talk about the closets, bedroom and bathroom ASAP. Then I'll start on the outside.

Just to touch on a couple of really obvious things...the gas filler tube is on the driver's side of the coach. On the 25.3, the filler tube was on the back and was more easily accessible from either side of the coach.

Also, the storage area near the sewer and other hookups is not as deep. I kept all my gear in plastic containers...one for water, another for electric, etc...and the containers I used in the 25.3 will not fit in the 27.7. The bed slide is different and it appears to take up more room in that area.

I am having sway bars, sumo springs, and a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed later this week, so I can compare the driveability after that. I had all these mods on the 25.3 and it drove great. The 27.7 is a bit heavier, so I expect the ride to be a little better, but the performance to be a little bit more sluggish from the extra weight.

More to come...
Old 01-23-2018, 02:58 AM   #71

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I didn't realize that was the only switch. Our Windsport 27K has two-three way switches for the ceiling lights, one accessible from the door and one on the wall near the bathroom in the kitchen area.
By the steps on the 27.7, there is a switch for the awning lights, to operate the awning, and a small light on the steps. On the 25.3, you could turn on the ceiling lights before entering.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 AM   #72
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
When we were looking at floorplans before purchasing the 25.3, the wife and I debated to get a couch or a dinette. We wanted both...and now we have them with the 27.7...and it is just a bit longer plus it has the slide-out, so now we can haul more junk, lol.
We had a 2016 Vegas 25.2 and had the exact same conversation when we bought ours. If we could only have both the couch and dinette. For that reason we ended up trading it in for a 2018 Windsport. BTW I did the exact same mods on the Vegas along with an alignment and it did handle great one hand driving no problem. The same mods on my Windsport cost twice as much. We saw the 27.7 Vegas at the show in Tampa and were impressed with the extra room. I put rubber bumpers on my drop down shelf in the Vegas to stop the banging.
Good luck with the new RV.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 AM   #73

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Hey everyone...

I just agreed to purchase the new 27.7 today, trading my 2016 25.3. This new floorplan is exactly what we wanted when we bought the 25.3, but it wasn't available so we compromised.

I was just wondering if anyone has any news / opinions on this new floorplan.

2018 Thor Motor Coach Vegas 27.7 Class A Gas Piqua, OH PSRVS
Please let us know how functional is the galley with the slide in. And the price is a bit high but it's the sticker price not out the door one.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:32 AM   #74

THOR #2817
All the windows in the dinette - couch - kitchen area are tilt-out type windows...none of them slide. I prefer the slide so they can be open while driving. I'm apprehensive about driving with tilt windows sticking out.

We have the tilt windows and don't like them. They don't open wide enough to provide much ventilation. They probably shouldn't be open when in motion because they tend to vibrate and rattle, so I expect in time or when encountering a big wind gust they could break. They sometimes will open a bit on their own and need to be closed tightly when moving. The one positive thing I can think of is that they can be left open in the rain (when stopped) without getting the inside of the RV wet.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #75

THOR #6999
When we were looking at floorplans before purchasing the 25.3, the wife and I debated to get a couch or a dinette. We wanted both...and now we have them with the 27.7...and it is just a bit longer plus it has the slide-out, so now we can haul more junk, lol.

We had a 2016 Vegas 25.2 and had the exact same conversation when we bought ours by Metalman.
I also have a '16 25.2 at this point. And there's a 27.7 in my future. For the same reasons.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #76

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #9303
Quote:
I was finally able to take delivery of the new 27.7 today. I was scheduled to do so about a week ago, but weather and personal factors kept causing delays.

We are staying with some relatives tonight and will be home tomorrow, and I will try to start giving some detailed information on features and construction this weekend.

My very first impression has to do with the steering and handling...it seems to be very similar to the 25.3 prior to modification. I had installed a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, front and rear heavy-duty sway bars, and front and rear sumo-springs on the 25.3, and it drove like a dream.

I've already ordered the parts to install on the 27.7 and will have it done this next week. For those of you that have the Ford 450 chassis, I highly recommend these modifications. I will link the needed parts in a future post when I get home.
Greetings,

I have a Vegas 24.1 and will soon have a SAF-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed. Do you know which modification kit they used for installing the steering stabilizer on a Ford E-450 chassis?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #77

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbest1va View Post
Greetings,

I have a Vegas 24.1 and will soon have a SAF-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed. Do you know which modification kit they used for installing the steering stabilizer on a Ford E-450 chassis?
I reordered the same parts as I had previously installed on the 2016 Vegas 25.3 with a 450 chassis. I called Saf-T-Plus direct to confirm that there had been no change.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-26-2018, 12:29 AM   #78

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]...The one positive thing I can think of is that they can be left open in the rain (when stopped) without getting the inside of the RV wet.

My results with that theory varied from expectations. Now, I won't leave my windows open if there is a chance of rain. Won't have to relearn that lesson!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #79

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #11987
whats your MPG on your 27.7 and speed

Quote:
Hey everyone...

I just agreed to purchase the new 27.7 today, trading my 2016 25.3. This new floorplan is exactly what we wanted when we bought the 25.3, but it wasn't available so we compromised.

I was just wondering if anyone has any news / opinions on this new floorplan.

2018 Thor Motor Coach Vegas 27.7 Class A Gas Piqua, OH PSRVS
what's your MPG and speed
Old 06-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #80

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by big18red View Post
what's your MPG and speed
It's tempting for us too. But ours is all working and the way we like it. Not sure I'd go through the first year again so soon.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote