Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #17248
Pay with Gas Buddy

Does anyone use the “Pay with GasBuddy “ debit card? If so, opinions? Any pros/cons?

Old 11-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #2

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
I do. I use the direct link to my bank and get a little off the top wherever the card is accepted. At Shell you can double dip with their rewards card too, since the Gas Buddy discount isn’t reflected at the pump, but when they debit your account. I also like the fuel log feature. It keeps great track of fill ups.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
With all the illegal scanners on gas pump all over the country I can not believe anyone still using a Debit card on a gas pump!! Allowing anyone full access to your bank account is just plan nuts. Don't think for a min that your pin # is secure. Use a cash back rewards credit card and you have protection and cash back too. I get 5% back any time, any where on gas purchases. .
Old 11-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
No, ditto what Cavie said. Their discount wasn't worth the security risk. My wife searches for Costco's & Safeway's along our route. Now that we pull a toad we don't use Safeway, too tight. We also have a Shell fuel discount/rewards card.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #5

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
The security is what makes the GasBuddy card a benefit- it’s not a full debit card, and isn’t accepted at anything but gas pumps. It’s a new card with a separate number and pin than just automatically deduct from your checking; so basically a debit card for gas only (uses the WEX network for fleet fueling). If they skimmed your info, they would be able to steal gas and that’s it.

I had my debit card skimmed once- bank gave me all my money back, but it was a shocker seeing my account at 0! One of the reasons I never use my debit card for swipe transactions. I also have an option on my debit card app to turn the card on/off at will. I do that so even if my card or number is stolen, they can’t do anything with it.