Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
2020 Vegas video

Looks like Thor will be showing a video about the 2020 Vegas models tomorrow (8/21/2019 @ 8:15 am EST), here is a link:

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
So I had this screen up on my computer to look at today. And at 7:15 CST I hear music.... So im kinda freaking out.... what is going on? Well it was this video....it was release today at 7:15 am cst.

Looks like everything on the Axis/Vegas is the same as last year but the "Miltiplex 2" system opens and controls the vent fans (I dont think they did that in the past). Thats something my wife would really like since she cannot reach the roof vents.

I would like to have access to the tank and battery levels from my Iphone.... Oh well....when Im ready for my next coach they will drive themselves. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Still no new floorplans to replace all the ones they’ve discontinued.

I’m still wondering if they will discontinue the Axis/Vegas line altogether, or reinvent it with version 2.0. Electronic “upgrades” can only do so much in my opinion. Can major design changes be that far off?

For what it’s worth, while at a La Mesa RV a couple of weeks ago, the salesman told me they had stopped stocking Axis or Vegas (I forget which one they normally stocked in the past).
Old 08-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
I made a comment on the video. lol. We'll see if it gets deleted or I get banned from YouTube.

All I said was the honest truth. And yeah btw, you all should probably check your slide toppers. Both of the screws fell out of the cap on the one end. The cap fell off and the entire topper would have fallen off and went through someone's windshield while we were driving down the highway if I hadn't noticed it. The slide toppers are really only held on with two screws, one on each end of the end caps. Lose one and the whole thing can come off. (The fabric would still be attached, but it can slide right out the end without much effort because there's no set screw holding it.)

That and we noticed the main awning on the passenger side was really low on the front end when extended. Yeah, the screws in the huge bracket were stripped and the bracket was pulled away from the body about half an inch. How much does a 20 foot awning weigh? Enough to cause a freeway pile up when it would have fallen off. Amazing.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Yeah when I first purchased my RV ....the 2nd or 3rd time I put out the awning I saw one Screws fall out and another one just barely hanging on (one on each side). They were not very tight so I used some gasket sealer that was opened and I coated the treads with it. They have not fallen out since but I always watch my awning when I extend and checked how tight they are every year.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Still no new floorplans to replace all the ones they’ve discontinued.

I’m still wondering if they will discontinue the Axis/Vegas line altogether, or reinvent it with version 2.0. Electronic “upgrades” can only do so much in my opinion. Can major design changes be that far off?

For what it’s worth, while at a La Mesa RV a couple of weeks ago, the salesman told me they had stopped stocking Axis or Vegas (I forget which one they normally stocked in the past).
Yeah my local CW (Well Gander now) has not carried a new one for over a year now. I asked one of them why but she didnt know... but said we can order anything you want if we dont have it".

I think there are so many small C class RV's that compete with the Axis/Vegas right now. But to me they all look about the same but the Axis/Vegas lineup is unique.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah my local CW (Well Gander now) has not carried a new one for over a year now. I asked one of them why but she didnt know... but said we can order anything you want if we dont have it".

I think there are so many small C class RV's that compete with the Axis/Vegas right now. But to me they all look about the same but the Axis/Vegas lineup is unique.
The salesman told me it was due to poor quality. His words, not mine. He also said they could order one.

I had stopped to look at a 25V out of curiosity and to compare to Axis 24.1, but they had just sold their only 25V.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:04 AM   #8

THOR #12231
Well its much harder to sell an RV if its not on your lot.

I started looking at class C's 3 years ago but in the CW parking lot they had a couple of Axis'. At first I was like I dont want to spend that much money (I was looking at the 22 - 24 foot Four winds), then I was like I really like this Axis inside and out and it had a more upscale look with the flush windows and drop down bunk. But once my wife got inside of each RV I was looking at she fell in love with the Axis immediately. She didnt like enclosed space of the Ford Van cockpit. So the Axis was a perfect fit for us.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:44 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
I made a comment on the video. lol. We'll see if it gets deleted or I get banned from YouTube.

All I said was the honest truth. And yeah btw, you all should probably check your slide toppers. Both of the screws fell out of the cap on the one end. The cap fell off and the entire topper would have fallen off and went through someone's windshield while we were driving down the highway if I hadn't noticed it. The slide toppers are really only held on with two screws, one on each end of the end caps. Lose one and the whole thing can come off. (The fabric would still be attached, but it can slide right out the end without much effort because there's no set screw holding it.)

That and we noticed the main awning on the passenger side was really low on the front end when extended. Yeah, the screws in the huge bracket were stripped and the bracket was pulled away from the body about half an inch. How much does a 20 foot awning weigh? Enough to cause a freeway pile up when it would have fallen off. Amazing.
Musta got deleted cuz I don't see it on YouTube.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well its much harder to sell an RV if its not on your lot.

.....cut.....
Agree. But it’s also very hard to sell RVs when the lot is full of units that buyers no longer want, or do not want as much as before.

The industry needs to not only think in terms of what RV buyers “want”, but also in terms of what they will be happy owning. RVs have gotten too complex for the average owner to maintain, troubleshoot, or fix themselves, yet too expensive and or inconvenient to have it done for them. In my opinion this pattern is not sustainable, or will at least limit growth as buyers become even less mechanically inclined.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Good heads up on slide awning. One screw was loose on mine. I already replaced screws on main awning. I will add it to list of things to check quarterly.

We still are impressed with the overall utility of the 24.1 Vegas. We tow drag car again Saturday for pooints race and head to Fort Wilderness with disabled sister in law. I just made a filler for step well.

Has anyone taken a 27.7 model to scale? Curious as to how much extra dize rakes away from GCVW rating?

Wife and I prefer older cabinet style. We can each keep upwards of 2 weeks worth of clothes above bed.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #12

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Musta got deleted cuz I don't see it on YouTube.
Not sure what happened. It shows up if I'm logged into my YouTube account, but not if I'm on a different browser and not logged in. It was either deleted or it never cleared some sort of review process.

This is what I posted, it didn't seem that bad to me. lol.

gmtech16450yz
2 hours ago

Amazing design coupled with horrific build quality.

Parts are still falling off our 2018 Vegas. "Up early. Not because you have to be, but because you want to be."??? No, actually I had to get up early on our last trip so I could make vital repairs before we could get back on the road. That one was the 8 foot long, 30 pound slide topper hanging off the side, held on with ONE screw after the others fell out. I can't imagine what could have happened if it fell off on the busy highways we'd been on the day before. Just one example of the hundreds of build quality issues we've had that could have easily resulted in a fatal accident.

The design works very well, when it does. The Vegas/Axis front end creates very little wind noise compared to a Class C. After doing all the required suspension upgrades, the handling and ride is far better than most Class A's. The huge front window is amazing to look out of, even if ours does have a stress crack across the bottom of it. The front cab area being so much bigger than a Class C is amazing, but the Ford factory built dash of a Class C won't rattle and fall off when you're driving like the thrown together Thor dash will.

We really like our Vegas and plan on keeping it for a long time. But the way it was built has been an unbelievable disappointment. We have over 23k miles on ours already, but that's only because I've done all the rebuilding and repairs myself. If we had to take it in for all of the issues it's had, it would have spent probably 14 months in the shop, and it's only 18 months old!

The only thing that's saving the RV industry at this point is the fact that the Lemon Law that protects car and truck buyers doesn't apply to RV buyers.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
...Has anyone taken a 27.7 model to scale? Curious as to how much extra dize rakes away from GCVW rating?
Here are the weights on my 27.7, but mine is FAAAAAARRRRRR from stock. hahaha. The biggest issue I've seen weighing mine is the side to side imbalance. It was as much as 1300lbs off at one point, the drivers side being the heavy side. Thor had the brilliant idea of putting the slides, propane tank, generator, water tank and water heater all on one side.

I have the questionably insane idea of removing/disabling one of those slides in an effort to balance the weight and fix some usability issues we have. I'm also planning on moving the water tank for similar reasons.

Again, my Vegas isn't stock so I'm not sure how far off these weights would be on a bone stock 27.7. These weights are with almost nothing in any of the storage compartments (except for my built in tool box), 3/4 tank of fuel and empty water and holding tanks. Except for fuel, it's as light as ours would ever be, probably at least 500lbs lighter than our ready to drive weight would be. It's too heavy and it's too imbalanced side to side.

Right Front- 2050lbs
Left Front- 2400
Right Rear- 4780
Left Rear- 5060

I also have weights from before we left on this last 7k mile trip. We were carrying a 14 foot sailboat on the roof and some other "cargo". Look at the weight imbalance side to side, it's not happy. The overall weight isn't happy either. If we hadn't upgraded the tire type and size, running like this would have most certainly blown the stock undersized Chinese tires.

Right Front- 2100lbs
Left Front- 2650
Right Rear- 5360
Left Rear- 5690