Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2020, 03:29 AM   #41

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoad View Post
NO! if your rig is designed for 30 AMP service, supplying 50 Amps will not solve the problem. This sounds like a defective TVSS ( surge supressor). Your on board circuit protection is designed for 30 AMP feed protection. Connecting to the 50 AMP service is not the solution as the power cord and rig wiring are not rated for that current allowance. Try without the surge device and report back. Licensed Electrician.
Dog bones are a very common acceptance in the RV world and have been is use for many rears. As a Master Electrician I understand your concern BUT if your gonna be in the RV world get used to it.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:51 AM   #42

THOR #15553
JoeDS, see post #41.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
Is it the surge protector that is tripping Or a circuit breaker? Sounds like your surge protector may be defective. There should be no problem tuning the load you are describing on 30 amp service.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #44

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It does sound like a bad breaker at the pedestal.
But just for fun: what sort of surge protector are you using?
I'm not an electrician, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
But it seems to me that there might be a big difference between an $80 protector; and one that costs $300.
There is. $80.00 = surge protector only. $300.00 = EMS.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #45

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Excellant trouble clearing procedure

This is so good I'm going to keep bumping it forward till Sue Tac replies with
"Thanks the problem has been found and repaired.
The camp ground has replaced the 30amp breaker, or something similar."
Suetac started a different thread that says "Disney World solved the problem". I never found out what the problem was. I can't find the thread. Disney World Tech said it was unsafe to use a dog bone. Suetech is a newbie and just learning.

Like I said before, If your gonna hang with the RV world just get used to seeing Dog Bones in use. It is never gonna change.

I FOUND IT This from Suetec.

"I learned a lot from this last power outage. Great people on this forum and great people available at Disney Fort Wilderness. Free counseling on sight so mistakes aren’t made again. Just FYI.. taking off the surge protector is never a good idea. Secondly, hooking your 50 to 30 amp should only be used in an emergency and if that happens know what your using or you can burn your 30 amp wire. Your surge protector doesn’t protect you for that. I am much smarter today than I was yesterday. Thanks for many experienced peoples responses and the journeyman at Disney Fort Wildnerness".
Old 01-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I FOUND IT This from Suetec.

"I learned a lot from this last power outage. Great people on this forum and great people available at Disney Fort Wilderness. Free counseling on sight so mistakes aren’t made again. Just FYI.. taking off the surge protector is never a good idea. Secondly, hooking your 50 to 30 amp should only be used in an emergency and if that happens know what your using or you can burn your 30 amp wire. Your surge protector doesn’t protect you for that. I am much smarter today than I was yesterday. Thanks for many experienced peoples responses and the journeyman at Disney Fort Wildnerness".
Incorrect, your RV input breaker limits you to 30 Amps on the 30 amp cable unless:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
......... the only way the 30 Amp cord could be overloaded in this configuration is if there is a short in the cord or wiring which would instantly trip the 50 Amp breaker at the post.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #47

THOR #15553
Quote:
Incorrect, your RV input breaker limits you to 30 Amps on the 30 amp cable unless:
You are preaching to the choir here sport. I'm all over the amprages and wire sizes. Did you see my signature??? I know how it works. I'm pointing out that Suetec was told that Dog Bones are unsafe. Technically, per the code, that is a correct statement. In the real RV world one has to just accept dog bones and move on.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #48
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You are preaching to the choir here sport. I'm all over the amprages and wire sizes. Did you see my signature??? I know how it works. I'm pointing out that Suetec was told that Dog Bones are unsafe. Technically, per the code, that is a correct statement. In the real RV world one has to just accept dog bones and move on.
Oh I KNOW you have a handle on things, that's why I only included the verbage from Sue: the "Incorrect" was aimed at her recounted information from the Disney "tech" and others who subscribe to the "burn up the 30 amp cord" theory.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #49

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
OP stated the breaker in the pedestal tripped...opinions -it's possible that 30 amp breaker is bad.
Easy check is to use the 50 amp dogbone, the 50 amp at the pedestal uses separate breakers. If all is normal on 50 amp have the campground fix the pedestal 30 amp breaker.. Or try connecting to another pedestal...

We seem to be getting far afield in sharing our obvious wealth of knowledge...
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #50

THOR #15553
Quote:
Oh I KNOW you have a handle on things, that's why I only included the verbage from Sue: the "Incorrect" was aimed at her recounted information from the Disney "tech" and others who subscribe to the "burn up the 30 amp cord" theory.
Got It See how internet conversations screw this up
Old 01-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #51

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
OP stated the breaker in the pedestal tripped...opinions -it's possible that 30 amp breaker is bad.
Easy check is to use the 50 amp dogbone, the 50 amp at the pedestal uses separate breakers. If all is normal on 50 amp have the campground fix the pedestal 30 amp breaker.. Or try connecting to another pedestal...

We seem to be getting far afield in sharing our obvious wealth of knowledge...
Go back to post #1 and read the whole thread. The OP turned this into a 30/50 dogbone conversation.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #52

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTac View Post
One time the gfci plug in bathroom, all other times campground breaker, always had our surge protector on.
You mean this post. It seems to define the problem.
A bad connection at the pedestal could do both. and actually the 50 amp dogbone was a suggestion in post 14, again in #41 - not the OP-

For the OP A surge protector is necessary and will protect your RV.

now back to the referee
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote