Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If I recall correctly the campsite we stayed at in Yellowstone in May didn't allow any tents or soft-sided vehicles of any kind -- probably because of bears. After seeing a couple of grizzly adults from a safe distance in or near the park, I can see where it's necessary to protect campers, but also the bears. They look like they could do a lot of damage in seconds; and they would end up being put down.

By the way, what RV or camping type did you have/do before the Axis that let you pursue off-road adventures to a greater degree?
Yes, there are some parks that only allow hard sided units in their campgrounds. I think it's more to protect bears from people as we seem to be breading folks with zero common sense ... lol ... food attracts bears and soft sided tents and RVs do not contain the smell. It's not people they're after! You can backpack into those same places after you listen and sign acknowledgement to the warnings about keeping food in sealed containers etc... the rest of what might happen to you is how well the warnings are heeded! I see people asking for bear trouble all the time and it amazes me more encounters don't happen.

I gave up tents for everything but backpacking long ago and don't do that these days. I've had many small RV types over the years. Really everything except for a 5th wheel, though we've come close to getting one on several occasions and travel with folks that have them. Some early near RVs were box delivery vans both SRW & DRW. Several TT's, TC's, Class C's, B, B+, TH, etc... Some I've lifted with new or reworked springs or flipped the axles as they say (spring over vs. spring under). In the military I rented small scamp or like trailers on base because they were so cheap. The Axis is the largest RV I've actually owned for longer than a summer season. Its also the lowest to the ground of any previous rig ... primarily at the step/entry area.

My leveler blocks get as much use getting us in/out of places as they do for leveling. And sometimes it's just best to keep looking for a more accessible spot

Old 07-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Yeah with a residential fridge that would be a non starter. Unless you had solar to trickle charge your batteries and maybe started up the coach if it got cloudy and watched your usage closely. We have a Hurricane 35C and wife wants to downsize already (3 months in). Sounds like you guys still have a toad does tow well?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #23

THOR #1944
Yes, dj, the dingy goes with us everywhere. Makes life easy and fun. It allows us to explore places not possible by solo RV'ing. The little Axis does quite fine with our JK toad.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:51 AM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
seeking to do dry camping in the longer run

thanks Tycreek,

good insight for me just getting started in my Vegas and toad in campgrounds with a group of RV'ing women. in the longer run, really hope to be in more isolated and wilder places with my rig and wonder the capacity it has to do that. was asking about road surfaces and how you judge what you are about to get yourself into prior to getting stuck and wondered if I wouldn't scout ahead in my AWD vehicle first as you suggest you do. would have to get good at hooking and unhooking but seems as if this would be the way to go for me when I get there.

have seen video of RV Geek guys in their over 40 ft rig stuck in sand, another C class in a rut on the road having to be pulled out and more. also hear folks considering conditions in areas where a sudden rain could change the ground surface, being too close to a body of water, etc.
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #25
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Having power & water in a State or National park, etc, isn't a bad thing. And, your using the MH to go to games is a great idea! It really surprised us when the couple we purchased from said " I haven't even cooked in here. Just microwaved water for tea!"
Don't be too surprised in our last camper the stove was never turned on either.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #26

THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
... and wonder the capacity it has to do that. was asking about road surfaces and how you judge what you are about to get yourself into prior to getting stuck ...
I don't consider the Axis well suited to FS road travels! There's a lot of roads and campsites it simply can't traverse gracefully. When driving the dingy to find places just think how would I get the Axis here and can I get it out? Think about where each wheel is and consider how to position them as they roll so that the ground doesn't come up and take a bite out of the rig.

A toad or trailer becomes a land anchor in mud or sand. The good thing with a toad is that they can be disconnected and driven through separately. In these conditions (if you must) keeping controlled momentum is key to getting through, hesitation or too wild, will get you stuck. Sometimes however, pushing the wild side is the only way through Best to know when to leave or just stay put until things dry out!