Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds [MB Sprinter]
State: Virginia
THOR #11635
...BTW, 'Common Sense' has been officially renamed: 'Uncommon Sense' as it is so darned rare...

FWIW, putting the Surge Guard on the campground power pedestal is always my first move when hooking up. The indicator lights on it should show you if something is amiss.

FMCA #461433
extex495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #22

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by extex495 View Post
...BTW, 'Common Sense' has been officially renamed: 'Uncommon Sense' as it is so darned rare...

FWIW, putting the Surge Guard on the campground power pedestal is always my first move when hooking up. The indicator lights on it should show you if something is amiss.
Exactly my 1st move, whether plugging in at home or some rv park, ALWAYS use the EMS/surge protector.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
The 50 amp is just as easy tp make as a 30. Might as well go 50, the outlet is round and fits in the same opening. All you need is a 50 amp CB for your breaker box. Keep in mind this is a 220 connection and it 50 amps on both lines.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
As a side note, if you install a 50-Amp service with intent to run 2 air conditioners and “other” stuff too in RV that can add up, don’t forget to consider the total amount of power you have available for the rest of the house.

In older homes with more limited power it could overload the main breaker, particularly if they rely heavily on electricity. I know that at my parents’ house I could not get away with adding a significant load from an RV. Everything is electric, down to water heater, stove, oven, clothes dryer, etc.

An RV won’t likely pull anything close to 50- Amps, but it’s worth checking the numbers first.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I hooked into a 30 AMP once that was wired like a 220v dryer. Luckily, only popped capacitors on convertor circuit board. I ended up ordering circuit board for convertor from Amazon and had it drop shipped. $145 plus an hour and a half troubleshooting and installing. Spent another 30 minutes correcting plug.

When I got home, I cancelled "Extended Warranty". $100 deductable and who knows how long waiting for repair? Local dealer closed location 30 minutes away and only has shop 2 hours away now. They did even give courtesy notice.
Change the 220v to 130c forvthe 30amp and you’ll be fine.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
Change the 220v to 130c forvthe 30amp and you’ll be fine.
Was easy fix. Electrician ran 2 hots and a ground. I changed it to 1 hot, a neutral and a ground. It was correct recepticle 30 amp, 130 volt. Electrician just made a mistake. I heard a/c sound strange on flip breaker on, killed it imediately. Only damage was converter board. I used my battery maintainer off shore power to keep house batteries up. Was early summer, a/c mid day and heat on after midnight. Was a year ago, no further issues.

I do double check outlets before plugging in now no matter how late.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #27

Model: Ace 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Georgia
THOR #7284
50 Amp vs 30 Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
actually, you can easily run two air conditioners on 30amps, just not much else. A 30amp outlet is much easier to add to your breaker box, as well.

there's also nothing to say that you can't also run an extension cord into the rv from a regular outlet at the house, for those 'other' item you might need at the same time.

50amp? sure, it's great, but for just parking next to your home... not needed, unless you think you'll be living in it one day : )
Definitely go with the 50 amp. There is not a huge cost difference in the installation. Running the both air-conditioners connected to a 30 amp line will cause them to run warmer and this will shorten their life. It will be less expensive and less of a headache to put in the 50 amp line now, then to change your air-conditioners later.