Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I will agree with the sentiment that it would be very nice to not feel the need for one...
But since I sell insurance, and that's how I look at the EMS: I'll plug one in.
"It's better to have it, and not need it: than need it, and not have it."

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
On the topic of EMS...

This summer I was at a campground that during peak hot weather (1-4pm) started tripping my Progressive Systems EMS. It showed that both legs of the 50Amp service were dropping. When one leg went below 104 volts, the EMS tripped and threw an error code showing why.

It was a pain in the @ss to have my RV that was already struggling to stay cool get hotter due to no AC. None of my other friends and their friends have such a system, quoting the same reasons stated above. Their recommendation was to remove the EMS and just “go raw”.

On the last night of the 4th of July long weekend, the campground blew a transformer at 2am. The friends were all hooked up to that circuit at the time and didn’t get their power back until 14 hours later.

Did their rigs all fry because they were connect at the time? I didn’t hear about it if one did. Were some of the electrical stuff damaged in any of the rigs? I would think so, but I couldn’t tell as most folks left that day and I only knew a handful of them.

But was I glad that I had a $300 device between all that happened and my big new rig? Damn glad.

While I don’t want to be “tac-ti-cool” with a ton of useless gear. I look at stuff like at as a ratio of $$$ against an expensive investment. To me, saving a comparatively small amount of money and risk a greater one doesn’t make much sense.

To each their own...
Old 08-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Your story is somewhat compelling, but at the same time really goes to show that 'just because' one has a 'device', doesn't necessarily mean that they 'got off scott free' while no one else did - as in this case. I'm sure that if any of the other RVs were 'fried', everyone would have heard about it. I'm sure that if any of the RVs had electrical components that were 'fried', someone would have heard about it.
The reality is that this is a perfect example of why you SHOULD have one of these devices, if you are the type to worry about these 'things', but it's ALSO a perfect example of why you SHOULD'T feel the need to have to have one - all the other RVs 'got off scott free' as well, and they didn't have to spend $300!

just my humble opinion, from a LOT of miles, and a LOT of camping...

enjoy, whichever choice you make...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:54 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
and a side note:

Most of the electrical issues one might encounter, such as the story mentioned above, is not necessarily a problem that effects individual RVs, or their electrical systems, but effects the electrical system in the area, at the park, or even a whole city. A transformer having an issue, whether lightning strike, or just because it was old and on it's last leg and the summer's demands brought it down, only creates a loss of electricity - i.e., the power goes out.
It effects everyone exactly the same: power loss.

Power Loss is not anything that can 'fry' your RV, or cause any issue whatsoever, no more than when you pull the shore power plug when you are ready to leave - you are simply losing power. RVs are designed for that. They are engineered that way. They are mobile. They even EXPECT to lose power. None of that, in itself, is harmful.
Your home loses power, and then eventually it is restored. Nothing changes, and you didn't have an EMS or protection for it... why the need for one for the RV?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #25

THOR #12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Your story is somewhat compelling, but at the same time really goes to show that 'just because' one has a 'device', doesn't necessarily mean that they 'got off scott free' while no one else did - as in this case. I'm sure that if any of the other RVs were 'fried', everyone would have heard about it. I'm sure that if any of the RVs had electrical components that were 'fried', someone would have heard about it.
The reality is that this is a perfect example of why you SHOULD have one of these devices, if you are the type to worry about these 'things', but it's ALSO a perfect example of why you SHOULD'T feel the need to have to have one - all the other RVs 'got off scott free' as well, and they didn't have to spend $300!

just my humble opinion, from a LOT of miles, and a LOT of camping...

enjoy, whichever choice you make...

Completely agree, my friend. That’s was a situation where I think both sides were happy with the decisions they made.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #26

THOR #12548
Quote:
and a side note:

Most of the electrical issues one might encounter, such as the story mentioned above, is not necessarily a problem that effects individual RVs, or their electrical systems, but effects the electrical system in the area, at the park, or even a whole city. A transformer having an issue, whether lightning strike, or just because it was old and on it's last leg and the summer's demands brought it down, only creates a loss of electricity - i.e., the power goes out.
It effects everyone exactly the same: power loss.

Power Loss is not anything that can 'fry' your RV, or cause any issue whatsoever, no more than when you pull the shore power plug when you are ready to leave - you are simply losing power. RVs are designed for that. They are engineered that way. They are mobile. They even EXPECT to lose power. None of that, in itself, is harmful.
Your home loses power, and then eventually it is restored. Nothing changes, and you didn't have an EMS or protection for it... why the need for one for the RV?
I think I would disagree on that part though. I have lots of computers, laptops, monitors, game consoles, high end tv’s etc in my household now and over the years. Brownouts have definitely fried some of this stuff when not properly protected. I never lost my refrigerator, HVAC units, or had bulbs blow out. But I’ve replaced more than my share of power supplies and a some items that are plugged directly into the wall into a detachable power supply..

While some undoubtedly just wore out, a majority of those happened at the time of power problems for the house. It’s pretty easy to look up at many sources on the internet about what happens to electronics when voltage sags or fluctuates. But less electronics and some luck on how outages happen to you could give you a good run on not having a bad experience I suppose.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
An adapter is an adapter, I don't know how anyone can 'qualify' how you would know, or could know, the difference in 'quality', if there actually is any.
A dogbone is a better quality adapter than a hockey puck as it separates the potentially heat-generating connections instead of putting them right on top of each other.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #28
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
and a side note:

Well.. my sticks/bricks home is protected by ‘whole house’ surge suppression.... and I was 10 feet away when one gave it’s life to a power surge following a blackout. I replaced a $40 panel surge suppressor. Neighbors replaced electronics and appliances.
Why would I do less for my RV??

To each their own... we do what makes us feel comfortable...
I choose a surge suppressor and toad brakes... lol

Enjoy...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
A dogbone is a better quality adapter than a hockey puck as it separates the potentially heat-generating connections instead of putting them right on top of each other.
I hadn't thought of that... But it sure makes sense!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #30

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
I and my friend's and family have all had issues over our lives with various home and RV power issues (lightning, tree branches shorting, transformer blow) where each have taken out every surge guard and everything that didn't have one. The same goes with shorted/melted puck adapters which are aren't built well enough to handle the 20 amp current through them and cheap 50 to 30 adapter with intermittent shorts causing low and high voltages and inverter errors.
The same goes with Modified Sign verses Pure Sign inverters, where the factory one damaged multiple devices.
I'm thankful that there are folks that may never have a problem but for me, I want to have at least one line of defense between me and a ruined vacation and expensive loss.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #31

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
The main purpose of the EMS is to protect your A/C from low voltage and protect from incoming surge. Low voltage will destroy an A/C quickly. If you hear your A/C grown and slow down turn it off immediately.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The air conditioner might be the most expensive item...

...But it sure isn't the only one!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote