Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #7729
Question Generator

We have a Thor axis 24, 2016. The gen is giving us fits. Wouldn’t respond or start for a few tries, looked it over filled the home tank with gas. Finally got it started, but only if the engine is running. Engine off, gen goes off. Can’t find anything exterior wrong. Any ideas? 🆘

Old 07-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Have you been doing the scheduled maintenance? I had my genny starting to shut down on me occasionally about 2 months ago. On this last trip over the 4th, it started happening more and more frequently. It got to the point where it wouldn't even stay on for more than a couple of minutes.

Out of ignorance, I hadn't even looked at that thing the entire year that I've had it. Most of my RV'ing friends hardly ever use theirs, so the conversation of maintenance never came up--because they didn't know. Turns out in my case, putting 215 hours on that thing without even checking oil isn't a good thing.

Either that, or not having any oil left in it a and it having it keep on shutting down is pure coincidence.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Cannot help with the relationship to the engine. I can say however that to start my Gen. takes three primes. Push the switch to stop that primes, then try a short start. Stop/prime again and so on. That's just the way these gems are I guess.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Hold down on the stop side of the switch 15-20 seconds to get a good prime then hit start.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 32.1
State: Florida
THOR #15902
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Hold down on the stop side of the switch 15-20 seconds to get a good prime then hit start.

(Thumbs up to the above comment)- when you hold the stop side of the switch, if you listen carefully, you’ll hear the fuel pump kick on while holding the switch. When you see the gen light come on, priming is complete. 2019 Thor ACE 32.1.