Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I agree that the breaker should protect the house, but how old the breaker and wiring are can make a huge difference. When I went to my father-in-laws house built in 1960, with the original wiring, I would not even plug my RV in. In South Floruda, on a hot day in the sun, the A/C can run pretty much continuously, which heats up the cords, adapters, breakers and wiring. I run my RV A/C off Of a 30 amp circuit on my dock and a 75' cord (50' boat and 25' RV) so that's not optimum either. If you have a good surge protector, you should know how many amps you are continuously drawing, make sure nothing is getting too hot and make your decision with at least some input. I completely agree that running an RV A/C thru an extension cord and a 15 amp circuit is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Thanks to everyone for the replies and info. I'm thinking to be safe, I'll call an electrician and consider a 30A dedicated circuit. I can use the genny when loading and unloading but if visitors exceed the house bedrooms, I'll need the MH. And visitors will be using everything in the MH so the 30A dedicated is the answer. Thanks, again, everyone
Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 AM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
30A dedicated makes life so easy. I used an extension cord and 30A adapter for a while on our class c. I could run everything but the AC. Yeah, it still got a bit hot. Now, plug in the power cord and live large! If I get another MH and it requires 50A I'll have the circuit upgraded. Good decision, Gary.