Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
Ace 29.3 overhead bunk problem

Can anyone tell us the location of the bed controller? Our 2017 Ace 29.3 overhead bunk is twisted and will not come down. Is there Manual way to lower it? Thinking there might be a controller somewhere with an error code. Any ideas are appreciated!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I really can not help even though I have the same unit. The only "controller" I know of is where you put the key in to move bunk up and down. I think this is a call Thor problem.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

THOR #8845
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I really can not help even though I have the same unit. The only "controller" I know of is where you put the key in to move bunk up and down. I think this is a call Thor problem.
Thank you. Think you are probably right. I will have to call them. Hope we can fix it ourselves. Hate taking it in to CW for service.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
I hate it when some one asks me a newbie question,but; did you try running it back up first? In our Hurricane the controller is in the small storage compartment above the drivers seat. I think you have those cabinets as well. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
If you have cabinets above the driver, might be there. Small white box maybe 4 inches by 3.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

THOR #8845
Sadly we can't get the bunk down to look. Bed twists so it hits on the side of the side cabinets. We hear both controllers some of the time are working. The right one seems out if sync. Problem is it won't sync going up (even doing small movements) and the bed jams coming down. Was hoping if there is a controller we could get to it.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:33 PM   #7

State: Nevada
THOR #9171
Overhead Bed Problem

I am experiencing the same problem...also on a 2017 ACE 29.3. This sounds like it is an engineering/production defect. I wonder if Thor is aware of this situation. I have only had the bed down twice and on our 3rd try it exhibited the same symptoms you described.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #8

State: Nevada
THOR #9171
I just read this from another user with a similar problem....New, first time RV owner here. Driver side bunk slide stuck about 4-6 inches below passenger side exactly as described by others here. Senior Good Sam tech jumped to the conclusion that the Hall effect sensor was at fault and that the motor needed to be replaced. I followed my own advice to RTFMS and found a simple re-sync procedure that fixed the problem. According to the Schwintek manual- Raise the bed as far as it will go (I helped it a bit by pushing the first time). Then lower 1-2 inches, stop and raise as far as it can go then hold the switch for a few seconds. Lower 1-2 inches and raise again. Took me about 5-6 tries and the bed re-sync'ed perfectly. Thereafter always take the bed ALL the way up and ALL the way down- hold the switch a few seconds on both ends of travel to help keep the motors in sync.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 PM   #9

THOR #8845
Smile

Thank you for the information. We did try this but did not work. We will try it again tomorrow. I know this method did fix our slide once when it was out of sync. If it fails to help I will call Thor and post here.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #10

THOR #8845
Smile Thor Response

Spoke to Jason at Thor today. Great customer service so far. His resolution was it is drop down bed is off the track or a broke wire. It needed to be taken care of by an RV repair person. Since we avoid CW I appreciate I could make an appointment with them for later July. We live in Tennessee but know there are things to visit in that area. Plus want to be sure we get a few things fixed before our warranty is up in August. So Indiana will be our vacation spot this year
Old 04-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #10354
Re-sync

You have to understand how these dual motor units work. When power is applied both motor are turned on but one motor may turn faster due to the load on that motor. If that does, the bed (or slide out) will move down faster on one side than the other. The instructions for re-sync are to let each motor stall out at the end of travel limited by the seats, bottom limit or top raising limits. I would suggest if you have not done so already to attempt returning the bed to the raised position, maybe helping the stuck side with a little push (while someone else is holding the key switch). If the position is way off to begin with, this will probably not work. Each motor needs to be turning and not stuck for this to work. By pushing on the side that is behind in it's travel, you are reducing the load on the DC motor, allowing it to turn faster.

I am an Electrical Engineer and understand how these systems are supposed to work but I have not had the out-of-sync problem go too far out of line as to get a stuck system. I have noticed that my system normally TRIES to go out of sync. This is why you have to force the motors to go all of the way, up or down, until alignment occurs at the stops built into the system. I do not like to run the motors until they stall in fear of burning out a motor but I think they have a current limiting built in to minimize this issue,,,,at least that is how the slide out motors are protected.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by edanddonna View Post
Spoke to Jason at Thor today. Great customer service so far. His resolution was it is drop down bed is off the track or a broke wire. It needed to be taken care of by an RV repair person. Since we avoid CW I appreciate I could make an appointment with them for later July. We live in Tennessee but know there are things to visit in that area. Plus want to be sure we get a few things fixed before our warranty is up in August. So Indiana will be our vacation spot this year
We will be there the week of the 16th. Might see you there!
Old 06-14-2021, 06:35 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #22940
Ace 29.3 overhead bunk problem. I had the same problem. I force the bed down with the switch going up and down a few times. If you hear a grinding noise, the actuators are bad. You should use the warranty if you have it. I figure that the deductible is 100.00 dollars, and CW will keep the mobile home for 2 months, and sometimes they fix the wrong problem anyway. The repair is an easy no-brainer. There is no controller. From the cabinet next to the actuator, remove 4 screws and panel. That will give you access to the actuator, use 2 7/16 wrenches and remote it. Cut the 2 electrical cables and splice the new one. Make sure you don't have power at the cables. I found the actuator at Amazon for 79.00. Part #LC65-118-12-1431-R. 30 minutes work.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #14

State: Arizona
THOR #22044
I had the same problem and there are two separate motors.....they have to synchronize....so run them up and down to get them in synch.....took me about 10 times doing it but then it finally synchronized and now it works fine with no problems. Our controller in our Hurricane is in the overhead cabinet above the loveseat behind the passenger from seat....there is a key there you turn it on then push the button....our's is backwards though, you push up to lower it and down to raise it....obviously a design flaw but it works great now that the motors are in synch together. Also, get some silicone spray at Wal-mart and spray the rails...stuff works great for the bed rails and the slide out rails.....good luck!!!
Old 06-21-2021, 03:33 AM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #22940
Quote:
Originally Posted by edanddonna View Post
Can anyone tell us the location of the bed controller? Our 2017 Ace 29.3 overhead bunk is twisted and will not come down. Is there Manual way to lower it? Thinking there might be a controller somewhere with an error code. Any ideas are appreciated!
I own a 2018 ACE 29.3, and I think they are the same. There is no controller; the stop is on the actuator itself.