Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2017, 01:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Adding XM Sayellite Radio to Axis

Figured out a cheap way to have XM sat. radio in our Axis. I have a Roady2 XM tuner in my truck, my daily driver. I found a similar tuner on eBay, that had the antenna, power plug, mounting bracket, etc. for $16.50 & free shipping. Today I installed these hook ups in our Axis. So now when we use the Axis, all I have to do is unhook the tuner from my truck and plug it in in the Axis. No addn’ monthly XM subscription fee. And buying the tuner and accessories on eBay was about 1/3 the cost of buying extra antenna, bracket & wiring. For what it’s worth!

Old 11-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I had a XM2Go in my garage. I found another cradle and stuck the antenna on "museum clay" at the inside top of the windshield. Plugged into the AUX on the Axxera radio. Seems to work just fine. Satellite radio seriously spoils you...
Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I had a XM2Go in my garage. I found another cradle and stuck the antenna on "museum clay" at the inside top of the windshield. Plugged into the AUX on the Axxera radio. Seems to work just fine. Satellite radio seriously spoils you...
Yes it does. I swore I would never pay for radio, but here I am. I had an onyx xm that I used when renting cars, and in my office at work. So I just bought another cradle and antenna on eBay and I am set. Biggest issue was finding a good place for the antenna. Finally put it under the mattress on the drop down bed over driver/passenger seats. Works GREAT! No drop outs or direction issues.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Where'd you mount the antenna?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:05 AM   #5

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Where'd you mount the antenna?
Here is a picture of how we mounted ours. It works as good as being on the roof, without having to put holes in the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170702_101827.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	8061  
Old 12-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
We got hooked when we purchased a Sonata in 2010 that offered three months free XM access. It didn’t take the whole three months to set that hook [emoji57]. We now have it in our current car, so for an additional four bucks a month we added the XM internet version. We just bluetooth our tunes from the XM app on my phone to the Axxera radio and the radio in our non-SiriusXM equipped toad. No antenna worries, just good tunes wherever we go.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:58 AM   #7

THOR #3483
Good deal. I really do not like the idea of drilling holes in the roof either. I placed mine at the top of the inside windshield pointed outward with "museum clay" to secure it. Whatever works!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Here is a picture of how we mounted ours. It works as good as being on the roof, without having to put holes in the roof.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1512132324

That looks like a GREAT place to hide it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	8062  
Old 12-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Illinois
THOR #10076
If you’re that happy with XM radio, don’t even think about trying Pandora. Haha. I have 3 lifetime subscriptions for XM receivers and never use them. Pandora is better in every way, except being reliant on cell service. But, I’ve had reception issues with XM, as well.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
I was at a high end auto stereo installer today arranging to have them come to my house to replace my stereo head unit, all my speakers, add an amp and subwoofer, back up and mirror monitor and hard wire my gps in my Windsport 29M. We talked about antenna placement for Sirius and he said they would place it at the bottom of the windshield and have great success with that location. I also agree that Pandora sounds far superior to Sirius/XM but cell service is not always reliable.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5711
We also added the streaming option to our Sirius XM subscription. It’s works great to play off our iphone through the axxera via Bluetooth to listen to all the XM channels.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Illinois
THOR #10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I was at a high end auto stereo installer today arranging to have them come to my house to replace my stereo head unit, all my speakers, add an amp and subwoofer, back up and mirror monitor and hard wire my gps in my Windsport 29M.
I just spent Monday at a stereo shop. Still using the Axerra head unit, added 500W of amp, 10” of ported and downfiring subwoofer, component set in the front doors, upgraded bedroom speakers, Dynamat to the front doors, and upgraded house batteries. It packs a pretty serious punch!

Most posts for my model Axerra state I need to cut the orange wire on the back, to disable the automatic side and backup camera functions. My head unit does not have an orange wire. However, there is a purple camera wire we added a microswitch into. Now, I can quickly turn on/off the camera function, with minimal distraction. Some have been really critical of this head unit. However, this modification has allowed it to be a pretty nice piece. It has plenty of inputs/outputs, adjustments, and sound quality for the application.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:55 AM   #13

THOR #3483
Sirius XM

Don't know what the issue is here. First, as I always say, if it works for you, that is what is most important. I drove from SoCal to Virginia back in 09 through the South via New Orleans. Never had one glitch with Sirius Xm radio there and back. As I said, whatever works for you.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #14

THOR #4687
Quote:
I was at a high end auto stereo installer today arranging to have them come to my house to replace my stereo head unit, all my speakers, add an amp and subwoofer, back up and mirror monitor and hard wire my gps in my Windsport 29M. We talked about antenna placement for Sirius and he said they would place it at the bottom of the windshield and have great success with that location. I also agree that Pandora sounds far superior to Sirius/XM but cell service is not always reliable.
We tried bottom of windshield on our VEGAS and had signal drops when we were using the wipers and also when we were traveling north.

That's why we looked got alternatives closer to the roof of the coach
Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #15

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We tried bottom of windshield on our VEGAS and had signal drops when we were using the wipers and also when we were traveling north.

That's why we looked got alternatives closer to the roof of the coach
No, bottom of the windshield didn't work well for me either. Seems like the top of the windshield does fine.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
I wondered about the bottom of the windshield myself and the wipers make sense. How about the top middle?
Old 12-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I just ended up buying a smartphone , and am learning about what it can, and can't do...
Has anyone tried Spotify, and tried to "Bluetooth" it into their rig's stereo system?
Old 12-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #18

State: Ohio
THOR #9459
Why don't you just download the app and run it through your cell phone and use a aux cable hook up
Old 12-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #19

THOR #3483
Quote:
I wondered about the bottom of the windshield myself and the wipers make sense. How about the top middle?
That is where our antenna is now. Stuck it to the window with "museum clay" from Lowe's.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I just ended up buying a smartphone , and am learning about what it can, and can't do...
Has anyone tried Spotify, and tried to "Bluetooth" it into their rig's stereo system?
That is what we do... rather than pay for satellite music, we have an extensive library on our iPhones and just use Bluetooth to listen to the various playlists, as well as Spotify, TuneIn, iRadio, etc. Works very well along with GPS audio directions.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote