Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
Advice on hitch carriers

Okay so we have a class c and and we pull our wrangler behind it on most trips. But we are looking for a hitch carrier that can carry a decent amount of weight when we are just taking the Moho. But also I need to carry bikes on it. Any suggestions personal experiences are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
What do you mean by bikes?
Mopeds? Scooters? A motorcycle of some kind? Bicycles?

There should be a tongue weight spec, I am not talking towing capacity, as that is what it will pull, not carry.

The carry factors in the load, how far extended out the rear from the bumper, as I see that as leverage weight and rearmost fasteners taking the brunt.
You may need to add a steel laminate piece of metal bolted in unison, and wider than the rearmost hitch mounts, plus extra bolts there too.
And topside of frame there if possible.
Torque the bolts 65 ft.lbs & use grade 8 or socket head 1/2" or 5/8" diameter bolts, hardened washers (soft metal washers can squish creating loose fasteners).
The store: Fastenal supplies all this.

Anyway, I would personally look at the mounting of the hitch, the grade of bolts used, if all the bolt holes are used (add as needed), the condition of what it is attached to, and the weld conditions.
Like is it thin metal like 16 gauge, or beefier like 1/4"?

Maybe you have a friend who can look at it & give a better opinion.

Without looking, I would think a bicycle carrier could handle a couple bikes safely.
Otherwise you may need some modifications.
Better to be safe, than sorry.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #3

THOR #6433
We are looking to carry bicycles mostly but will also need to carry propane tanks generator etc.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You'll be fine: right up to the permitted "tongue weight" of the hitch...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #5

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You'll be fine: right up to the permitted "tongue weight" of the hitch...
Okay well the tongue weight is 500lbs which I doubt I would ever go over. My biggest concern is just how much abuse can the carriers take. If you have 300lbs in there and it’s bouncing around on the freeway for a 1000 miles I don’t want my cargo to end up in the lap of the driver that’s following me.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Sorry... I misunderstood what you were looking for...
Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #7

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sorry... I misunderstood what you were looking for...
Haha no you are totally fine thank you for the input. I wasn’t probably clear in my originally post. Sometimes that happens I can’t type as fast as I am thinking.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
If your carrier is of good quality and it and the load are properly secured it won't be bouncing around.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:36 AM   #9

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
I sometimes use a Horrible freight (Harbor Freight) steel carrier with a plastic cargo box, loaded with maybe 100 pounds, this is mounted in a dual hitch receiver, the cargo carrier is in the bottom and a bike rack with two bicycles are in the top. The dual carrier extends the cargo carrier back about 1 foot. everything combined never exceeds my tongue weight of 500 pounds.
Drove from NY to New Mexico, approx 4,000 miles roundtrip with no issues.
At first I was concerned and would occasionally check everything with the rear camera. It is relatively smooth back there, nothing bouncing around. I would also check everything at gas stops and breaks, never any issues.
My cargo box is bolted to the steel hitch carrier, and I do use ratchet straps sometimes if necessary. I also have a steel cable that secures the cargo carrier to the motorhome hitch receiver; for added protection in case I lose a hitch pin and to prevent theft
Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I bought a ROLA hitch rack from etrailer. It costs around $200. I added the led brake lights that plugged into the trailer light assembly. I then attached a lockable cargo container by drilling through the bottom and attaching u-bolts with the nuts on the inside of the container to the rack. For additional security to hold down the container to the ROLA rack I added racket straps. To secure the ROLA rack I added a cable lock from the rack to the trailer hitch. Worked great for many years. Very sturdy rack that I could stand on.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
He probably doesn’t mean the load bouncing on the carrier itself, but rather that the entire carrier and load combination will be bouncing up and down significantly by virtue that motorhomes have stiff rear suspensions, high pressure tires, and often also have long rear overhangs. All these things add to additional load on carrier that it wouldn’t see in a typical car or SUV hitch.

I purchased a 500-pound carrier and modified it to use two receivers. As it came from the factory I wouldn’t have placed anywhere near 500 pounds on it.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #12

THOR #6433
I like the idea of adding some lights. As far as the bouncing I will tie everything down how ever I can I am just worried about the weight. And the essentially the porpoising causing extra stress and causing failure.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I bought a Rola carrier from Etrailer. Don’t recall the model but it is rated for 600 lbs - which is more than my tongue weight rating so I’m pretty confident. I also purchased the accessory LED lights that are nicely integrated. Also the accessory bike clamps that fit the side rails. These are quick release axle clamps and work a treat. Eventually I stopped carrying bicycles and now sometimes carry a pair of mopeds. Keep in mind that any accessory extension on the hitch receiver will reduce your cargo capacity by half. I sometimes use a Roadmaster spare tire carrier that has this unfortunate result (in addition to adding about 150 lbs of its own).
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I bought a Rola carrier from Etrailer. Don’t recall the model but it is rated for 600 lbs - which is more than my tongue weight rating so I’m pretty confident. I also purchased the accessory LED lights that are nicely integrated. Also the accessory bike clamps that fit the side rails. These are quick release axle clamps and work a treat. Eventually I stopped carrying bicycles and now sometimes carry a pair of mopeds. Keep in mind that any accessory extension on the hitch receiver will reduce your cargo capacity by half. I sometimes use a Roadmaster spare tire carrier that has this unfortunate result (in addition to adding about 150 lbs of its own).

Forgot to add photos...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	18669Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	18670
Old 07-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My folks used to tow a Suzuki Samurai, and had a bicycle rack mounted on top of the same hitch...
The thing rattled so much that it was unnerving...

They had welder drill a hole in the receiver, and mount a nut on the outside of it. They could thread a bolt into it, and tighten it down against their hitch.

It sure did quiet down the clatter!

NOTE: I am in no way condoning the modification of the receiver... I am only relating this tale for illustrative purposes.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
They make various anti-rattle devices, and most just bolt on so no welding is required.

I went with two-receiver system in large part because I didn’t want cargo carrier moving/rotating around the 2” receiver tube. When load is not perfectly centered over receiver tube, the up-down bouncing causes additional stresses I didn’t want to worry about.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:52 AM   #17

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Forgot to add photos...Attachment 18669Attachment 18670
Thank you for the info and pictures. I just need to find one that is 24 inches wide on the inside now.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #5166
Northern Tool has a good selection on rear racks

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...cargo-carriers