Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #14275
Advice needed

My wife and I currently have a class C and are wanting to up grade to class A. We are looking at a 2018 Fourwind Wind Sport 34J with 5,000 miles on it. Any issues to look out for? Are current owners happy with their choice.? I appreciate any thoughts you may have.
Bob

Old 01-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Currently C owner but love the flat floor of the A's and looked extensively at them before we went C. A's offer much more usable space when docked and great views while underway. Only thing I would toss out is make sure you know the "many mods" that come along with the A Class gas coaches in order to correct/deal with...wind noise, engine noise, engine heat, poor build quality of the cab (wood backed dashes and side panels, windows leaking or blowing off, no air bags, only one exit door and the issues of keeping them cool while traveling. Many have to run the generator all day with the rooftops running to keep the coach comfortable. For every benefit of both the A's and the C's, there's a sacrifice as well. Bottom line...it's yours when you buy it. Only you can prevent forest fires.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #3

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundtight View Post
My wife and I currently have a class C and are wanting to up grade to class A. We are looking at a 2018 Fourwind Wind Sport 34J with 5,000 miles on it. Any issues to look out for? Are current owners happy with their choice.? I appreciate any thoughts you may have.
Bob
Check for past issues (don't listen to the salesman), make sure everything works, take it for a test drive and maybe even a set up and tear down for travel, make sure you get all the books, look for missing equipment, maybe take a person 'well versed' in RVs with you. A couple of dozen more but can't remember them all.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
Do you remember that "fine-toothed comb"; that folks like to talk about?
You'll have to dig yours out, and use it, while you're inspecting the potential new rig.
Good luck! I hope that it's everything that you hoped it would be!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #5

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
Do you remember that "fine-toothed comb"; that folks like to talk about?
You'll have to dig yours out, and use it, while you're inspecting the potential new rig.
Good luck! I hope that it's everything that you hoped it would be!
Yeah, That too.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Yeah, That too.
Oh yeah, Don't take delivery until every discrepancy is fixed and is written down as 'fixed'.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
They are all correct answers above....Check everything out.

If your buying from a Camp World (or any RV dealership) counter offer them like $10K less (If its a brand new RV they will sell them 30 - 40% off of sticker price).

Even if its a Private party - qoute them much less.

This will help cover the stuff that will end up going wrong in the first year of ownership.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
In my experience (opinion) CW has a few really excellent, motivated salespeople and a whole bunch of them with little product knowledge and fewer sales experience or skill. If you can ferret out the good ones you can have a decent experience. If you just take the one you get at the reception desk your chances are slim. I met a top notch fellow at an RV show and was able to work with him throughout. Don’t hesitate to ask to speak with the business manager - not to complain but just to make sure you are getting the best service possible. I believe CW is making some effort to improve their operations although they still have a ways to go. The thing is they have a lot of inventory so you can see lots of different models and features and that really helps. Like all motor vehicle dealers they are happy to do their best to get you to pay as much as possible. I really wish the industry would adopt the same kind of fixed, competitive pricing as most other commodities. Good luck and happy travels. It’s a wonderful lifestyle once you figure it out.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #14275
Advice Needed

Thank you guys for your input. We currently have a Jayco Grayhawk class c and thought it would be nice to have more space, especially in the cab. However after some of the comments on class a cab construction, I’m not sure the additional space is worth it. Also didn’t realize no airbags. Guess I need to think about it more before going with class a.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
THe best thing to do is drive one (or more) class A's. We really like our Axis, we sit in the cockpit area all the time for lunch, watch a little TV or work stuff... it works out great. Its nice have the flip down desk (very important for me since im self employed) plus I can spread paperwork on the big dash. This desk area was a great selling point for me.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundtight View Post
Thank you guys for your input. We currently have a Jayco Grayhawk class c and thought it would be nice to have more space, especially in the cab. However after some of the comments on class a cab construction, I’m not sure the additional space is worth it. Also didn’t realize no airbags. Guess I need to think about it more before going with class a.
Perhaps a Super-C would fit the bill...
Talk the "The Gritz": he has one!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 PM   #12

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
We bought a new 2016 Coachman 21 foot Class C, It was great for the wife and I a little tight but, when the two grandchildren came with us one week things got cramped and tight.
So we traded for a new 2018 Coachman 30 footer. The morning that we went to pick it up we were all excited but apparently a pickup truck backed into the front of it! It was messed up pretty bad. The dealer at CW offered us the 2018 Windsport 27M off the showroom floor they had two on the floor and made us a deal because of the issue and being on the show room that we could not refuse.
We are glad we made the move and not much was wrong with it because of being showroom? We have owned it now for 1.5 years no issues.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We went with all intents of buying a CLASS C. If the drivers seat had been able to be moved back more, we probably would have one now (I am 6'3 with long legs)

However, since we ended up with a THOR VEGAS, we couldn't have made a better choice. When we first stepped into the VEGAS, after test driving the CLASS C, we were in love. Even though the VEGAS was more money, the open areas, especially the drivers/passengers seats and windshield, make for a terrific view.

Along with, like LAWR stated, the fact you can completely turn both seats around to become extended living area is great!

And the headroom and standing up room make the space much more "homelike"

True, no airbags, but this isn't the first vehicle I have driven without them.

Both have their strong points, however, for the size, cost, and maneuverability of the VEGAS, it fits perfectly.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Speaking on behalf of the 34J, we love ours! Depending on who’s with us, we convert the bunkhouse from sleeping to sitting to pantry. We have had some issues but nothing major. The full slide was a concern to me. I was told to only operate it with full power. That advise has kept it trouble free.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We also went from a class c to a class a. Best move we ever made. I did have to adjust my driving a bit, but the class a is more livable than the class c. It no longer feels like we are in a camper.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:14 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I had a Class C when the kids were small, followed by a travel trailer, a fifth wheel, a 33' Class A and currently a Vegas. Each of them was the right fit for us until they weren't anymore.

RVs are kinda like shoes, the type you choose depends on where you'll be going and what you'll be doing. Best advice is to rent a rig like you are considering. You might learn something about what you want.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:38 AM   #17

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I had a Class C when the kids were small, followed by a travel trailer, a fifth wheel, a 33' Class A and currently a Vegas. Each of them was the right fit for us until they weren't anymore.

RVs are kinda like shoes, the type you choose depends on where you'll be going and what you'll be doing. Best advice is to rent a rig like you are considering. You might learn something about what you want.
SO True. Looking back I wished I would have done it that way. If anything else, it would have made the walk around trying to understand everything and remember it better.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
We currently have a Thor Axis 25.5, our first and last class A. Having had both a class B+ PleasureWay and a class C, Winnebago Aspect, along with maybe a half dozen travel trailers over the past 50 years, I have to say that I totally prefer the class C's or B's. I don't like the fact that our Axis, as do most class A's, has only one way in and out. I like the cab doors offered by class B's & C's, plus the main coach door. In my 35 yrs in law enforcement, I've seen too many crashes wherein doors get jammed and people trapped inside. So, I much prefer the 3 doors offered by class B's & C's...3 ways out, if necessary, rather than 1.
Just my two-cents worth.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
As stated...everything is a sacrifice. When we think of motorhomes...nothing comes clearer to the mind than the set up of a Class A. Walking from one end to the other, using every inch for living space and the feeling of driving a charter bus (I did this part-time when my kids were young and I raised them alone). If only someone would step up to the plate, prioritize the construction up front and address the issues everyone has with every brand. There are a few A's with a small driver door but that option is going away as they are so "cost sensitive" in the building process. If they also realized...we really don't care how much it cost...as long as it's top notch and performs well. A's have it hands down for comfort...C's have it hands down for safety and reliability. If only Ford and GM would build motorhomes and build them to the same standards as the truck chassis.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #20

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

I like your shoe analogy.

My DW always talks about keeping our MH into retirement....basically till death do us part. I keep trying to explain that there's just nothing wrong with trading up, trading down, or even trading sideways....but she doesn't get it. She only thinks about the depreciation and loosing money. I think about how the MH we have now works while we have kids but will make less sense in just a few years. She gets mad at me every time I bring it up!

I think it comes from our different ways of growing up. My dad is a horse trader and was always wheeling and dealing boats, cars, and all sorts of things...often making money on the deals. Her parents were very frugal but not that way at all....more of a keep something till it rots approach I suppose.

Oh well, different strokes....